Shaman of Songs Removed from Na’vi River Journey

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
That would be interesting.

Na'vi as is doesn't need to be longer. The rider would just get more bored. The ride needs purpose instead, and then it can't last long enough - nobody ever got bored on those 15 minute EPCOT rides. A pay-off too can lend purpose.

Then might I suggest incorporating a recent acquisition to reduce the aging hippie quotient for all of Pandora ?

Last edited by a moderator:

celluloid

Like having only 4-5 (or fewer) articulation points? Seriously... the more complex and lifelike a system, the more there is to break and wear. Patty isn't going to break down when she's just a manikin strapped to an exercise machine.

But of design is knowing how guests are going to view it and what is going to last under theme park wear and tear conditions. Nothing compares to theme park wear and tear compared to other show business mediums that need them for few shots. So the design knows that sometimes you need to scale back for the sake of longer lasting good show quality. Also, it is the one full animated figure of any kind in that attraction, it should be the main show mechanical focus and probably is not getting the time and attention it needs, just like a lot of other show quality things in current Disney management.

HeatherRenee410

I rode this for the first time this weekend and luckily I had a fastpass. It was a nice ride but the one thing I had said at the end was Wow, they really could have done this better if it had an animatronic or something. I could have sworn I saw pictures of one. LOL I really felt like it was lacking and was surprised to just see a projection . Now that I know there really is an animatronic, I know I'm not crazy LOL I will definitely have to ride it again.

BigThunderMatt

If one of the main figures from the Carousel, or any number of older rides is not working, the traditional response from operations is to shut down the attraction until it can be fixed. Guests would not know why the ride was closed, and if something like Pirates was shut down because the auctioneer was frozen, most people would assume it was the boats themselves that was keeping the ride closed. With River Journey, WDI, probably learning a yeti lesson, have built in a fallback effect that keeps the ride open when the Shaman is 101, but the downside is that it's obvious to guests when the problems lie with the figure.

Wait...wait...you think Operations actually shuts down rides for a malfunctioning AA? Excuse me while I go die of laughter. COP I'll grant you, MAYBE. But I honestly think the average guest would be too stupid to know if an AA was malfunctioning and Ops knows it. I used to work at Pirates and in the entire time I was there I don't think that everything functioned the way it was supposed to at all. All of them were malfunctioning in one way or another. Be it no mouth movement, no limb movement, completely frozen. The only time everything worked the way it was supposed to was after a refurb. The days of Disney closing attractions because one AA isn't performing it's full range of motion are long past in Orlando. You can thank the steady stream of once-in-a-lifetimers/first-timers that Disney gets every year who permit them to get away with this crap.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This surprises me a little. I would think you of all people would enjoy an atmospheric dark ride with practical effects. Is your gripe the ride length or lack of Animatronics?
There’s no meaningful plot, no story, no engagement and no pay off. It’s a display of a series of impressive visual effects. I’d prefer to ride Mermaid.

Castle Cake Apologist

There’s no meaningful plot, no story, no engagement and no pay off. It’s a display of a series of impressive visual effects. I’d prefer to ride Mermaid.

Ouch.

I think the ride could certainly be longer, but I don't see the lack of story as being an issue. The majority of my favorite classic WED attractions don't have plots or stories. Just experiences.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Ouch.

I think the ride could certainly be longer, but I don't see the lack of story as being an issue. The majority of my favorite classic WED attractions don't have plots or stories. Just experiences.

Classic attractions like Chester and Hester's Dino-Rama don't really need a story though. I don't think anyone would expect NRJ to have a storyline if it even in the same ballpark as the classics, but it isn't. Even It's a Small World has a better storyline.

Castle Cake Apologist

Classic attractions like Chester and Hester's Dino-Rama don't really need a story though. I don't think anyone would expect NRJ to have a storyline if it even in the same ballpark as the classics, but it isn't. Even It's a Small World has a better storyline.

Don't get me started lol. C&H actually has a very rich and fleshed out story being told, most people just don't see it because of how tacky it is. The story leading up to Dinorama was set up within the rest of the land before it was even built. Chester and Hester have been part of Dinoland, USA since day one.

My only gripe with NRJ is length. I think the set design and effects are incredible, the lighting design is top-notch, and I'll never complain about a slow-moving boat ride with mostly practical sets and effects.

Castle Cake Apologist

Most attractions do, except NRJ. FoP has a nice storyline though.

The story of NRJ is that you're on a journey through a Pandoran rain forest. It doesn't need anything else. The story of Haunted Mansion is that you're moving through a haunted house. The story of Pirates is that you're moving through a town under attack. Linear storylines being shoved into every attraction is a relatively recent phenomenon. I welcome the return to atmospheric attractions with a focus on design and mood. Just needs to be longer lol.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
The story of NRJ is that you're on a journey through a Pandoran rain forest. It doesn't need anything else. The story of Haunted Mansion is that you're moving through a haunted house. The story of Pirates is that you're moving through a town under attack. Linear storylines being shoved into every attraction is a relatively recent phenomenon. I welcome the return to atmospheric attractions with a focus on design and mood. Just needs to be longer lol.

I'd even be OK with it being short if at a minimum a narrator told guests what the're looking at.

Bairstow

Wait...wait...you think Operations actually shuts down rides for a malfunctioning AA? Excuse me while I go die of laughter. COP I'll grant you, MAYBE. But I honestly think the average guest would be too stupid to know if an AA was malfunctioning and Ops knows it. I used to work at Pirates and in the entire time I was there I don't think that everything functioned the way it was supposed to at all. All of them were malfunctioning in one way or another. Be it no mouth movement, no limb movement, completely frozen. The only time everything worked the way it was supposed to was after a refurb. The days of Disney closing attractions because one AA isn't performing it's full range of motion are long past in Orlando. You can thank the steady stream of once-in-a-lifetimers/first-timers that Disney gets every year who permit them to get away with this crap.
Like I said, the traditional response.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom