Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

BrittanyRose428

This doesn't say much that hasn't already been mentioned, but I took this picture of the concept art/description from the wall they have up now in Fantasyland.

DSC01090.jpg

BigThunderMatt

It's a very real problem.

No. Obesity is a very real problem. The day when rides have to start being re-engineered to accommodate larger guests because there are so many of them is the day we all need to realize that there is a serious problem with weight in this country that needs to be addressed.

Call me jaded, but I've worked at Disney long enough to know that while there are certainly guests with legitimate medical reasons beyond their control for obesity, many more of the guests that ride around in ECVs with their undeserved sense of entitlement to get on attractions with no wait are just a bunch of Fatty McFatterson's that need to lay off the turkey legs, get out of the ECVs and WALK.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
^

While I might agree with you, I think you probably could have stated your point more elegantly without the sophomoric name calling.

Tom

Beta Return
No. Obesity is a very real problem. The day when rides have to start being re-engineered to accommodate larger guests because there are so many of them is the day we all need to realize that there is a serious problem with weight in this country that needs to be addressed.

Call me jaded, but I've worked at Disney long enough to know that while there are certainly guests with legitimate medical reasons beyond their control for obesity, many more of the guests that ride around in ECVs with their undeserved sense of entitlement to get on attractions with no wait are just a bunch of Fatty McFatterson's that need to lay off the turkey legs, get out of the ECVs and WALK.

Right. I know of people who fit both cases. A close family friend has a serious thyroid issue. She's been on a major diet for months, and continues to gain weight....to the point of being morbidly obese. She refuses to use an ECV for anything in life (because, in her words, it's demeaning), but she just had to have a knee replaced as a result of that decision.

On the flip side, I know people who live at McDonalds, and then drive everywhere in an ECV (including, according to Murphy's Law, the width of the aisle I need the most at the grocery store).

To think that money is being spent on R&D for more "accommodating" ride...that's distressing. They're just enabling those people.

ChrisM

^

While I might agree with you, I think you probably could have stated your point more elegantly without the sophomoric name calling.

Or, perhaps, the sophomoric name calling is a necessity. Perhaps creating a stigma around certain lifestyles is a net social good.

It's worth pondering, at least.

Magenta Panther

Okay, maybe what you said isn't politically correct or whatever, but :ROFLOL:

TiggersPooh

Not to get off topic to much,
One day working load at Buzz Space Ranger Spin I had this very LARGE women sit in the cruiser and the door not able to close. One of those suck in while i push. Lets just say her door kept opening the remainder of the ride, setting off faults every 30 seconds. Making it a very horrible experience for every guest on the attraction.

Its the peoples fault not the Imagineers. When you roll up to an attraction in a motorized wheel chair not cause of injury, something needs to be done.

It should have only set off 2 door faults...

mvieguy

It should have only set off 2 door faults...

My Ex girlfriends mother is a very large woman, who can honestly walk with no problem, however because she doesnt exercise and all she does is dine out. she can hardly walk, and what upset me, was every place we went that had those motorized scooters, she would get one. from Walmart to Disney. I have some meat on me, but i can comfortably sit in rides with the bar on my lap. I am sorry, but if they cant get the lap bar down, or the door to close, they she shouldnt be allowed to ride. There is a guy who comes to my place of work, who pulls up in a BMW, parks in handicap, gets out of his car, goes to the trunk, gets his wheelchair out, closes the trunk, folds out the wheelchair, gets in, and wheels himself around the store, and asks us to carry his bags out. then gets out, puts his wheel chair away, and drives home. it makes me mad

I think these rumors come about from impatient people. the Mine car ride isnt opening this year. its phase II, and because they havnt started contruction on it. someone probably assumed it was decided against, instead of just waiting. i do think however, they should devote some land to pixie hallow. or heck, create rapunzels tower, and three or four times a day, do a show, where she lets her hair down, and flynn climbs up it. i really wish i was a imagineer

Absimilliard

I am a coaster fan and my interest with those is the technical side.

The X2 coaster in California is not really a good piece of engineering! Sure, its a lot of fun, but it opened a year late, became horribly rough fast and the weight of those moving cars was just too much for the track. In 2007, only solution was to spend another 10 million dollars to do track work, repaint it and get new lighter cars. So 35+ million dollars later, Six Flags got a ride that is finally semi reliable with terrible capacity and comfort issue.

What's been mentionned so far make it sound like a suspended coaster above the track. Historically, 3 companies tried their hand at suspended coasters and none really had any success. Arrow (who did all the Disneyland rides at opening, the Matterhorn Bobsleds, etc.) went through a prototype before getting it "Right". Right in this case means a difficult ride to maintain and with a limited shelf life. Busch Gardens Williamsburg removed theirs after the 2009 season after it reached its 25 years service life. Would Disney want to deal with something like that? You got to invent the whole thing.

Looking at the various coaster companies out there, I only see Vekoma (who did Rock n Roller Coaster and Everest. They are from the Netherlands) trying their hands at it. Vekoma is all for prototypes and brand new technology, so we'll know very fast if they are behind the new ride. Someone already spotted Vekoma hard at work on a prototype of what will go on the Hong Kong Disneyland Grizzly Coaster and that's not opening for over a year.

For riders size, the Vekoma cars on Rock n Roller Coaster are modern versions of what Arrow (an american company) did for 25 years. They don't require seatbelts and are extremely safe and if the restraint is locked, you're not going anywhere. Beside Vekoma, nearly every steel coaster manufacturers are now of Europe. People in Europe are smaller than in the US, so the rides are made for their size. The 3 major coasters at Islands of Adventure are from a Swiss company. Amazing engineering, but not designed to be big person friendly.

ob1thx1138

I am a coaster fan and my interest with those is the technical side.

The X2 coaster in California is not really a good piece of engineering! Sure, its a lot of fun, but it opened a year late, became horribly rough fast and the weight of those moving cars was just too much for the track. In 2007, only solution was to spend another 10 million dollars to do track work, repaint it and get new lighter cars. So 35+ million dollars later, Six Flags got a ride that is finally semi reliable with terrible capacity and comfort issue.

What's been mentionned so far make it sound like a suspended coaster above the track. Historically, 3 companies tried their hand at suspended coasters and none really had any success. Arrow (who did all the Disneyland rides at opening, the Matterhorn Bobsleds, etc.) went through a prototype before getting it "Right". Right in this case means a difficult ride to maintain and with a limited shelf life. Busch Gardens Williamsburg removed theirs after the 2009 season after it reached its 25 years service life. Would Disney want to deal with something like that? You got to invent the whole thing.

Looking at the various coaster companies out there, I only see Vekoma (who did Rock n Roller Coaster and Everest. They are from the Netherlands) trying their hands at it. Vekoma is all for prototypes and brand new technology, so we'll know very fast if they are behind the new ride. Someone already spotted Vekoma hard at work on a prototype of what will go on the Hong Kong Disneyland Grizzly Coaster and that's not opening for over a year.

For riders size, the Vekoma cars on Rock n Roller Coaster are modern versions of what Arrow (an american company) did for 25 years. They don't require seatbelts and are extremely safe and if the restraint is locked, you're not going anywhere. Beside Vekoma, nearly every steel coaster manufacturers are now of Europe. People in Europe are smaller than in the US, so the rides are made for their size. The 3 major coasters at Islands of Adventure are from a Swiss company. Amazing engineering, but not designed to be big person friendly.

The RNRC cars were very comfortable for me and my wife who are both large (350). In fact they really remind me of the TN Tornado at Dollywood, another very fluffy friendly coaster.

sponono88

No problem. The convention begins tomorrow but members of the media are there tonight to preview a few of the exhibits. Lots of pictures of the Parks and Resorts exhibit coming in via Twitter tonight!

lebeau

A friend of mine was asking about the doors at the back of the Mine Car building. Anyone know what they are for?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom