Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

Lee

Adventurer
I have heard nothing at all about it being in danger.

When I asked someone about the design issues regarding the trains, I was told it was more of a "headache" than a real problem that would put the ride in jeopardy.

All the latest plans I have seen include the Dwarf ride, although with a somewhat altered layout.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
its on miceage in the micechat roundup, heres the link I think.

http://micechat.com/forums/walt-dis...oled-other-canceled-delayed-wdw-projects.html

it says: The Mine Coaster for the new FLE at MK is experience serious design flaws, that might lead to it be scrapped, or seriously paired down.

Well, looking at that full post, he also throws in the Four Seasons hotel, which isn't a Disney-run project, Flamingo Crossing, which has been dead for quite some time, and Golden Oaks, which has only started building/selling. Considering the Mine Train ride hasn't even been started yet, it appears he's throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what will proverbially stick...

jjharvpro

I've come to realize that it won't bring Everest thrills, or even Big Thunder thrills. My hopes are for fantastic theming, great fun with lovable characters/story, and a solid D-ticket. I long for it to be much better than Barnstormer(though deep down, I'll always love that small ride!). I'm really excited, because(as I said earlier) it's bringing something brand new to Fantasyland!

MerlinTheGoat

I don't doubt it will be built, sounds like bull being spread over at Micechat. Especially if they intend on showing us more concept art and such at D23.

I'm personally looking forward to seeing sparkling diamonds and gem stones that will surely be everywhere (even seen in the concept art). When i traveled to Disneyland Paris, my favorite part of the ride there is the mine scene where you go through a mine shaft with some gems shining in jars and a mine car that rolls towards you. There used to be a similar scene in ours at WDW before they changed it totally in the 90's (i miss that nice mine scene).
I can see a lot of potential for this ride at night with all the shining gems (looks like there are some gems sparkling outside the mountain as well as inside, if the concept art is still at all valid).

Also hope they actually have the "hi ho" music (dunno why such an iconic tune apparently isn't used in any form of the ride as far as i can tell).

I've got two questions for you Lee, if you can or will answer-
1- Will this ride focus at all on the witch or Snow White story elements from the movie? Or is it a ride dedicated solely to the Dwarves and just rolling through the mine with scenes of them digging, cleaning gems, etc? So far, i've seen no sign of Snow White OR the witch in any of the art or whatever.

2- Should we expect some fairly advanced animated figures or effects? Not meaning the Yeti or Ursula advanced, but i mean figures that are more than just totally still non-animated statues or ones with only jerky single armed movement (like the original ride). Or do they actually intend to reuse some of the models from the current Snow White ride?

aladdin2007

:brick:
I don't doubt it will be built, sounds like bull being spread over at Micechat. Especially if they intend on showing us more concept art and such at D23.

I'm personally looking forward to seeing sparkling diamonds and gem stones that will surely be everywhere (even seen in the concept art). When i traveled to Disneyland Paris, my favorite part of the ride there is the mine scene where you go through a mine shaft with some gems shining in jars and a mine car that rolls towards you. There used to be a similar scene in ours at WDW before they changed it totally in the 90's (i miss that nice mine scene).
I can see a lot of potential for this ride at night with all the shining gems (looks like there are some gems sparkling outside the mountain as well as inside, if the concept art is still at all valid).

Also hope they actually have the "hi ho" music (dunno why such an iconic tune apparently isn't used in any form of the ride as far as i can tell).

1- Will this ride focus at all on the witch or Snow White story elements from the movie? Or is it a ride dedicated solely to the Dwarves and just rolling through the mine with scenes of them digging, cleaning gems, etc? So far, i've seen no sign of Snow White OR the witch in any of the art or whatever.

2- Should we expect some fairly advanced animated figures or effects? Not meaning the Yeti or Ursula advanced, but i mean figures that are more than just totally still non-animated statues or ones with only jerky single armed movement (like the original ride). Or do they actually intend to reuse some of the models from the current Snow White ride?

I know your asking Lee, but there was one piece of concept art released that showed the mine train outside passing the dwarfs cottage, yet you could see Snow White and the dwarfs dancing inside. Im trying to find it.
In general none of the figures/sets will be reused from the current snow white ride (altho knowing TDO and cost cutting if they did reuse things wouldnt surprise me in the least). I really do hope though they somehow save or reuse somewhere the mural in the queue, its so well done and just has a classic feel. If they just go in there with hammers and........:brick::fork:

MerlinTheGoat

Yeah i hope they save the mural somehow. Not necessarily to be used again, but just because it's a worthy piece of art worth salvaging and at least keeping somewhere. Not giving it too much hope though. I was a fan of the murals in the old Imagination queue area and they apparently either painted over them or destroyed the walls completely...

Lee

Adventurer
From what I'm told, the ride will not tell the story of the movie. You may see the witch in passing, and will see Snow White in the final scene, but don't count on much more. There is the indoor mine scene with gems, but much of the ride is outdoors and will just be through nice surroundings.

I don't believe any of the current figures will be reused. Don't expect any advanced AAs. Mostly it will be static figures, perhaps some with limited movement.

Answers in bold.

MerlinTheGoat

Thanks for the answers, i appreciate that. Kind of sad to hear the figures won't be very animated and that there won't be much of the story, but oh well. I'll enjoy the scenery. As i said, i like mines and sparkly gem stuff.

wserratore1963

If I may...

Me thinks ya'll may be expecting a bit much...

It's a nice little D-Ticket ride. Nothing on the scale of Splash or Big Thunder, nothing remotely like Journey at TDS.

Cute. Short-ish. Pretty. Couple show scenes. That's pretty much it.
Better than the original plan for that spot, but not the headliner that MK is well overdue for.:shrug:

D23 Expo should provide new art and info.

Thanks as always for posting a little reality:animwink:

worldfanatic

This is light years better than a stupid meet and greet.

No kidding. I was sooooooooooo ed when I saw the initial plans that focused so heavily on the meet and greets.
I was equally sooooooooooo happy when I saw Tom Staggs had changed it up.

Well, looking at that full post, he also throws in the Four Seasons hotel, which isn't a Disney-run project, Flamingo Crossing, which has been dead for quite some time, and Golden Oaks, which has only started building/selling. Considering the Mine Train ride hasn't even been started yet, it appears he's throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what will proverbially stick...

That's exactly what that article was. Trying to stir things up.

Plain and simple, poor journalism.

I trust Lee much more than that clown.

erasure fan1

Thanks for the answers, i appreciate that. Kind of sad to hear the figures won't be very animated and that there won't be much of the story, but oh well. I'll enjoy the scenery. As i said, i like mines and sparkly gem stuff.

Actually with the way this ride is described, I think not following the movie story is the right choice. It would make better sense to make up a new story that fits the ride type and not try and shoe horn the original story into it.

Jasonflz

Sorry if it is a stupid question but where is the concept art for the train located?

The only picture I've seen is an exterior drawing that already looks impressive.

MerlinTheGoat

My guess is that this ride won't have too many extreme turns that would allow such dramatic swaying anyways. As in, not many twisted parts of track that would sort of tilt you sideways like other coasters. But maybe i'm wrong.

Another post in another thread made me wonder something slightly offtopic but related-

Would this swinging cart technology be feasible with a more thrilling mine roller coaster? As in, one that goes faster and has a more adult audience in mind? My thoughts are something similar in thrills to either BTM or Everest. Perhaps even with a wider range of swaying for even greater thrills. It makes me wonder if they intend to take further use of this tech for other rides (besides clones of the Dwarf Coaster or other kiddy coasters).

Someone had mentioned that they'd like an Indiana Jones mine coaster in another thread. One already exists in Paris, but how about one indoors with elaborate show scenes and the swaying cart tech from Dwarf Coaster, only more thrilling?

tirian

My guess is that this ride won't have too many extreme turns that would allow such dramatic swaying anyways. As in, not many twisted parts of track that would sort of tilt you sideways like other coasters. But maybe i'm wrong.

Another post in another thread made me wonder something slightly offtopic but related-

Would this swinging cart technology be feasible with a more thrilling mine roller coaster? As in, one that goes faster and has a more adult audience in mind? My thoughts are something similar in thrills to either BTM or Everest. Perhaps even with a wider range of swaying for even greater thrills. It makes me wonder if they intend to take further use of this tech for other rides (besides clones of the Dwarf Coaster or other kiddy coasters).

Someone had mentioned that they'd like an Indiana Jones mine coaster in another thread. One already exists in Paris, but how about one indoors with elaborate show scenes and the swaying cart tech from Dwarf Coaster, only more thrilling?
If they can fix the fat people problem.

Rob562

I guess it all depends on what kind of technology/mechanics they use for the swinging of the cars. Will they be gravity based and just swing freely back and forth? Or will it be a tightly-controlled swing built into the track?

The "4D coaster" X2 out at Six Flags Magic Mountain uses a special track that rotates the seats around their support axis. At its heart, this track/vehicle design is essentially an Omnimover, and in fact the coaster is built by Arrow, the company that helped Disney build the first Omnimover systems.
A secondary set of wheels follows a rail along the track, and changing the position of the second rail relative to the main support rail causes the seats to rotate.

If the Mine Train track was built in a similar fashion, they could easily design the train to tilt the cars left or right exactly the same amount at exactly the same point in the track, every time. There's no varying in the swing of the cars dependent on the weight of the riders or the speed of the cars around the corners.
And because the tilting would be 100% mechanical, there are no hydraulics to breakdown, no computer systems that don't get the proper signals and do the wrong thing at the wrong time (like the time our vehicle in Pooh started bouncing in the Tigger scene and continued to bounce until the end of the ride...)

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom