Seven Dwarf's Mine Train Virtual Ride

Bocabear

I completely agree...but I think personally WDW surroundings and ambiance is MUCH different than Uni and some could go to the parks and not ride a thing, walk around, eat a one of their many restaurants, etc. and enjoy themselves.
I would agree with you on that. I do love the ambiance of the parks and being a passholder often go to the parks and not ride the rides, but I am disappointed to see the overall lack of creativity in WDWs latest offerings...The muddling down of themed areas ( Faries M&G in Adventureland), Monsters in Tomorrowland... Do we need TWO shooting gallery rides based on the same Pixar movie? The new FLE is lovely but about 10 years late and now so over hyped it will never live up to the expectations...

flynnibus

Premium Member
The ride would have nowhere near the lines if any of the above issues were addressed. Not to say no one would ride it, it would obviously draw an audience based on the Toy Story IP. But that doesn't change it being a pretty bad ride. It attracts an audience that just hasn't been conditioned to strive for something better than a mediocre video game with 3D glasses.

Any ride would not sustain lines if we made it have unlimited capacity :) Truth be told, when you remove a lot of the contributing factors that haunt TSMM at DHS, at DCA it continues to pull in significant lines and before Carsland.. was one of those 'go do it first' attractions.

Yes, firing a real bb-machine gun is more fun then firing a light gun...
The mechanical play of a pinball more fun than the virtual representation of it...

But not everything can be done in the flesh.. and for those we often take virtual versions and still enjoy them because they allow us to do things we otherwise could not do. TSMM fits that bill for me... and no I don't find playing the Wii version anywhere near as enjoyable as the real attraction.

MerlinTheGoat

#1 - why is everything he says worshiped as if it were spoken by the Walt Disney holy spirit? Personally I don't care if he or any others think Disney World visitors are "indeed dumbed down and being conditioned for mediocrity" - this mediocrity is still and always will be killing Uni on a daily visitor gate count so there must be SOMETHING right going on there... although you wouldn't think it reading these boards
Spirit really only echos and expands upon things people here already noticed (he also provides the more technical reasons behind these issues).

Attendance has no relevance in an argument about quality. There are a lot of stupid people who enjoy crap and have no taste, even if the price is ridiculously high (some consider it a status symbol). At large that's the type of demographic current Disney heads wants to capture, people who don't have much of an objective stance on quality.

McDonalds was doing fantastically from a business perspective last I heard btw. Don't think many people will argue their food quality being very good though.

But not everything can be done in the flesh.. and for those we often take virtual versions and still enjoy them because they allow us to do things we otherwise could not do. TSMM fits that bill for me... and no I don't find playing the Wii version anywhere near as enjoyable as the real attraction.
Neither the ride nor the Wii game are really any good. The video game version is pretty much what would be considered "shovelware" among gamers (and pretty mediocre or bad scores from reviewers in fact). While you could argue the ride version is "better", I still think it's crap. Crap with a ridiculously long wait time and high price to experience compared to the home version.

WDWDad13

There are a lot of stupid people who enjoy crap and have no taste, even if the price is ridiculously high (some consider it a status symbol). At large that's the type of demographic current Disney heads wants to capture, people who don't have much of an objective stance on quality.

wow so now all us Disney visitors are "stupid people who enjoy crap and have no taste?" just...wow...o_O

I suppose all the Uni visitors are smart intelligent people who enjoy the best park in the world with great taste (less filling)?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Neither the ride nor the Wii game are really any good. The video game version is pretty much what would be considered "shovelware" among gamers (and pretty mediocre or bad scores from reviewers in fact). While you could argue the ride version is "better", I still think it's crap. Crap with a ridiculously long wait time and high price to experience compared to the home version.

Your opinion... but if it were shared by more.. people wouldn't be bothered to go experience it time and time again. IMO - TSMM gets a world of hate because it's not a classic dark ride and lacks elements of it. Buzz at MK is the same experience you can get at any regional park.. but does not get nearly the hate TSMM does.. and not helped by Disney releasing the Wii game.

Not every game need be Final Fantasy... a mindset lost on many and why so many of that camp could not understand the rise of the casual gamer market. Another great example of people holding onto something they know and are familiar with until their dying breath rather than being open to different concepts and needs. There is more than one form of entertainment... and not everyone feels the same about each. Hence why more than one form is successful!

I find TSMM infinately more enjoyable than the REAL carnival games just next to it at DCA. Ponder that one 'video sucks' camp.

Butter

Anyone arguing that Toy Story Mania is even close to (let alone better than) Forbidden Journey has absolutely no taste when it comes to theme parks. FJ is objectively superior to any ride Disney World has received in the past decade.

Anyone arguing that there is such a thing as "objective superiority" when it comes to theme park rides, is neither objective nor superior.

MerlinTheGoat

Anyone arguing that there is such a thing as "objective superiority" when it comes to theme park rides, is neither objective nor superior.
With that logic, no one could say that a Disney or Universal park is an objectively superior theme park experience to Six Flags or any tacky roadside carnival. There's always objective qualities or faults in something to be able to formulate an educated opinion.

Butter

You are making a leap of logic. Your statement that "FJ is objectively superior to any ride Disney World has received in the past decade" is FAR different from saying "Disney World and Universal are objectively superior to a roadside carnival".

Even then, your absolute truth is probably ridiculous to some.

All people that talk in absolutes are wrong.

Sassagoula-Rvr

Am I the only person that enjoys TSMM? Long lines, but I've always loved it...part video game, part 4D theater...I love the way things pop out at you...

I wish Disney would make overlays for it though...Holiday etc...it has got to be fairly easy to produce a holiday show, then only have minimal down time while new show is installed.

MerlinTheGoat

You are making a leap of logic. Your statement that "FJ is objectively superior to any ride Disney World has received in the past decade" is FAR different from saying "Disney World and Universal are objectively superior to a roadside carnival".

You never specified any particulars, you just said "theme park rides". That being said, TSM is objectively superior to FJ. As is Disney/Universal to a roadside carnival.

I'm certain there do exist people who would disagree. I'm also sure there are some crazies out there who think McDonalds is as good as 5 star dining. Here's an absolute for you- there is such a thing as stupid people.

So you're wrong for talking in an absolute?

Am I the only person that enjoys TSMM? Long lines, but I've always loved it...part video game, part 4D theater...I love the way things pop out at you...

I wish Disney would make overlays for it though...Holiday etc...it has got to be fairly easy to produce a holiday show, then only have minimal down time while new show is installed.
You're obviously not the only one. And i'm certainly not saying you're in the wrong for liking it, so sorry if it seemed like that. I personally don't like it and have my reasons for that.

The only thing i'm saying is that it's not as good as many of Disney's other rides they've created in the past. Or what Universal has been building during the past decade. I wouldn't mind it so much if they were building more substantial attractions alongside these.

Sped2424

This is what the swinging is going to be like. As that is the basic model of the vehicles going in the ride. now think of that thing moving simply from being in a truck. lets picture the swinging on a roller coaster probably a little more diverse!

Sped2424

Also if this thread reflects anything its that we are basically starving for a great e ticket, toy story mania is a wonderful ride. But I want something well something in the e ticket range something that is gonna redefine how people view the park, not just a little addition.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This is what the swinging is going to be like. As that is the basic model of the vehicles going in the ride

The problem is that is all 'old' information. That's what they set our expectations with over 2 years ago.. but as you can see in the more recent simulation, things are VERY different. That infers the original concept has evolved to what we have now.

Sped2424

The problem is that is all 'old' information. That's what they set our expectations with over 2 years ago.. but as you can see in the more recent simulation, things are VERY different. That infers the original concept has evolved to what we have now.
That recent simulation is the same one that was show here about a year ago its just they showed more of the ride before entering the show scene but after you leave the diamond mine its identical.
Leading me to believe that this is just a rough video and by no means a depiction of how the actual swinging effect will work.

Goofyernmost

I completely agree with that. I have my doubts in avatarland as well.
You and me too! However, I have to admit to a bit of bias, I don't like Sci. Fi. and have no desire at all to participate in an Avatar based land. But that could just be me. Damn good thing I am not the one making that decision isn't it?

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Isn't that an absolute? Does that mean you are wrong?;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom