Seven Dwarf's Mine Train Virtual Ride

lazyboy97o

In regards to earlier posts about the attraction taking so long....I can imagine how much of a logistical nightmare it is to construct. It is surrounded by park 360 and is incredibly complex.I would like to see any of us try to pull that off.
What makes it more complex than something like Transformers: The Ride-3D?

Disneyfan_76

In regards to earlier posts about the attraction taking so long....I can imagine how much of a logistical nightmare it is to construct. It is surrounded by park 360 and is incredibly complex.I would like to see any of us try to pull that off.

I don't really see that being a logistical issue. They had easy access from the back road and the section was walled off.

24/7 Disney

What makes it more complex than something like Transformers: The Ride-3D?
I don't believe anyone can judge something no one has experienced yet....
I wasn't about to compare it to anything. After all, I am on WDW Magic and I commented on WDW, not any other park. I am sure there are other forums for that.

mickeysbrother

The first signs of WDW beginning to decline in quality was around the mid-90's, probably around 1993-1996. That I believe is the general consensus many people seem to agree on (give or take a year or so depending on the person you ask). I was just a child at the time and that is indeed when I started to complain about things. The beginning of that really wasn't very long after I first started visiting the place. So absolutely no, it's not just because we're all old or visited 50 or more times. Even at such a young age and without a whole lifetime of visits I was noticing issues. WDW legitimately is just worse now than it was in the past. With any sort of seriousness or unbiased objectivity, I can't imagine anyone being able to truthfully say the parks are as good now as they were in the 80's and early 90's.

Maintenance and upkeep still seemed to be at least somewhat competent until around the early 2000's or so. Not to say there weren't any issues, may have been. But it certainly wasn't even close to being in as dire of a state as it is today. I believe it has been said that the corporate leadership shut down a massive chunk of the maintenance departments at US Disney parks around the time 9/11 happened. Supposedly they did so expecting that Disney park attendance would plummet as people were more afraid to travel and go on vacation after the bombing, so reduced their money spent on upkeep as a compensation for what they expected to be huge losses. Though from what I gather, regarding WDW this ended up not being necessary as the attendance levels were still good. Still i'm quite sure corporate were more than happy not to have to spend money on properly maintaining their parks (though this really came back to bite them in the when multiple deaths occurred at Disneyland due to unsafe conditions from lack of proper maintenance).

But the beginning of bad creative decisions really probably began at some point in the 90's. Someone else that has more inside information on the company shifts in business practices such as @marni1971. But many people agree that it had something to do with Frank Wells' tragic and sudden death. Allowing Eisner free reign and his ego to grow out of control, making some very stupid decisions that may have permanently crippled the company's full creative potential.

Of the parks i'd say EPCOT was the earliest to start seeing issues. I think one of the first major signs of trouble was Horizons losing its sponsor in '93. After that its operation was sort of intermittent. It closed down for a year or so shortly after that but reopened while parts of the rest of Future World were refurbed or changed. Finally closing down in '99 to make room for Mission Space. World of Motion followed in '96 to make way for Test Track. And then the original Imagination in '98 to be replaced with one of the current abominations. Not to mention the other messes such as the Ellen version of Energy, Wonders of Life being turned into convention space, the '07 overhaul of Spaceship Earth (i'm more forgiving here because at least a large portion of the ride is still intact and they didn't go through with plans to gut it and turn it into a roller coaster as they wanted to in the 90's) etc.

I should mention that I was actually quite young when these declines were happening. About 5-7 years old during the point when Disney World began its decline. I only began visiting WDW in the early 90's in the first place and caught WDW on the tail end of its remaining glory days RIGHT before it began its great fall. So I had really only visited a few times before things started going sour anyways. I basically got a front seat to this rather painful chain of events. And even to the point of view of a young child it was quite clear that WDW had serious issues. 1997 was my final trip as a kid until I finally returned in 2010 as an adult to find it had gotten even worse, particularly the maintenance of the place was in a dire shape. Though again even back then it was pretty clear that things were starting to fall apart.

Probably Splash Mountain, the '94 overhaul of Spaceship Earth and to an extent Tower of Terror were the last really notable genius moves I experienced occurring at WDW (while Splash Mountain was technically already a Disneyland ride before it came to WDW, it gets some extra credit because it substantially improved upon Disneyland's version). Animal Kingdom is a split issue. Wonderful idea and concept, and an absolutely beautiful park visually. But unfortunately it was built too late. By that time Disney World was in its downward spiral and AK ended up being neutered an value engineered to death, opening in an incredibly incomplete state with many of its intended attractions never built. And the ones that were built were generally massively cut down from what they were intended to be (it remains that way until something drastic changes in the company to allow it to expand and flourish). The one ride i'd say ended up being fully fleshed out and awesome was probably the safari. That might be my choice for WDW's last truly great ride they built to this very day. I never visited Animal Kingdom as a kid (I stopped going to WDW the year before it was finished). I only visited AK for the first time in 2010 as an adult.

I totally agree with you on the whole Epcot thing. I mean just because you dont have sponsors you cant build or fix rides. So technically speaking Disney is pretty much just paying cast members in that park with everything else being profit. Don't know how the business side of this park works but common there is a lot of dead space in that park. I still love that park though. Just the atmosphere alone is amazing.

Thats pretty good that you remember big issues at such a young age... I was just in awe and till am 28 years later from when i was a kid on Disney on a whole. I couldn't tell you specifics when i was a child but i remember some cute stories or things my mom has said about me being that age. But i was too busy having fun at Disney world rather then seeing stuff i didn't like every time i went back.

lazyboy97o

I don't believe anyone can judge something no one has experienced yet....
I wasn't about to compare it to anything. After all, I am on WDW Magic and I commented on WDW, not any other park. I am sure there are other forums for that.
There is not a whole lot that is unknown about what is to be expected.

Sped2424

I'm merely saying that the books really didn't become popular until the series got picked up as a movie. There wasn't a huge line of people out the door waiting to get books until the third or forth book, at least not around here. I just feel the movies were when the series became noticed in large by the public besides a few tweens.

We seem to be drifting off topic. I was just saying that Harry potter will not have the staying power that people think it will. I think that Universal did an amazing job with the HP land and I am sure they will come up with an amazing overlay of the land in five to ten years when the IP is stale.
http://articles.courant.com/1999-10...potter-children-s-publishing-book-s-publisher
Dated 1999. I don't know what your issue is against the fact that the harry potter series became a phenomenon simply after the first novel was released. I think harry potter will have more than enough staying power, the series influenced a generation and if the current trend in hollywood is any testament don't think this is the last time you will see the franchise in the theaters. Universal gave Jk Rowling what she wanted and in the end they are more than better off for it that to me is the golden ticket of franchises right next to star wars and some others. Edit I just read that you said overlay in 5 to 10 years...I don't know if you are serious or not there..

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
http://articles.courant.com/1999-10...potter-children-s-publishing-book-s-publisher
Dated 1999. I don't know what your issue is against the fact that the harry potter series became a phenomenon simply after the first novel was released. I think harry potter will have more than enough staying power, the series influenced a generation and if the current trend in hollywood is any testament don't think this is the last time you will see the franchise in the theaters.
Man, there is no other theme park that has attractions based on movies that are over a decade old!

Imagine if Alladin was over a decade old...man, no one would care about it anymore.

Sped2424

Man, there is no other theme park that has attractions based on movies that are over a decade old!

Imagine if Alladin was over a decade old...man, no one would care about it anymore.
Lol True its why no one cares about Snow white, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty anymore and if we wanna use the argument that live actions films don't date well its definitely why no one even knows who Mary Poppins is. Like what is that?

mvieguy

I did the dolphin encounter out in san Diego Sea World. well basically you sit at the edge of the tank, with your feet in. they come up, interact with you, then they take you into shallow water (about 5 feet) and you interact with them again. thats about it. water is freezing. and you get to wear wetsuits, lol

flynnibus

Premium Member
I did the dolphin encounter out in san Diego Sea World. well basically you sit at the edge of the tank, with your feet in. they come up, interact with you, then they take you into shallow water (about 5 feet) and you interact with them again. thats about it. water is freezing. and you get to wear wetsuits, lol

Simply put... go somewhere better :) Like this..

danlb_2000

Premium Member

It wasn't surrounded for the first year of it's construction. Uni build Transformers, which was completely surrounded and didn't even have an access road, in about that amount of time. Harry Potter Phase 2, which will contain two cutting edge E-tickets, various shops and restaurants and a fully themed London façade, will likely take about that same amount of time the mine ride will take to build, and that includes the time it took to demolish Jaws. I fully believe that Disney could be building the mine ride faster then they are. They have chosen to build it at a slower pace.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom