Seven Dwarf's Mine Train ride expectations?

spacemt354

Chili's
Like others have said, I feel it's really not comparable. The Dumbo Play area is not the main attraction. It's simply somewhere to keep the little kids occupied and the adults out of the heat and in some a/c. On top of the Dumbo area being free and the others costing individual admission, Dumbo was never advertised as being anything more than what we see today. Personally, Dumbo was always one of the longest lines we would wait for during our trips, and it was always a drag standing in the heat for up to an hour. I'd take a queue like we have now anyday because not only is it air-conditioned and indoors, it also offers people a spot to sit down and relax while guests wait to ride, rather than standing up the whole time. But if it's still nothing more than a mall attraction to some people, then so be it. I don't see it that way though.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Like others have said, I feel it's really not comparable. The Dumbo Play area is not the main attraction. It's simply somewhere to keep the little kids occupied and the adults out of the heat and in some a/c. On top of the Dumbo area being free and the others costing individual admission, Dumbo was never advertised as being anything more than what we see today. Personally, Dumbo was always one of the longest lines we would wait for during our trips, and it was always a drag standing in the heat for up to an hour. I'd take a queue like we have now anyday because not only is it air-conditioned and indoors, it also offers people a spot to sit down and relax while guests wait to ride, rather than standing up the whole time. But if it's still nothing more than a mall attraction to some people, then so be it. I don't see it that way though.

I do not see how the Dumbo play area is free.

spacemt354

Chili's
I do not see how the Dumbo play area is free.
It's free in the sense that you are not paying a separate admission specifically for the Dumbo area. Of course you pay to enter the park, but once you are in, the Dumbo play area doesn't have it's own specific admission. It's simply a queue area to entertain guests until it's their time to ride.

Patricia Melton

I actually expect the Snow White Mine Train to be built at Disneyland and re-themed to Sleeping Beauty.

Instead of a race on a mine train, it would be re-themed as riding on Prince Phillip's horse and racing through the thorns and ruins of the Forbidden Forest...with final scenes of fighting Maleficient's dragon. Maleficent's castle would be built on the show building, as well as her mountain and the thorn forest. Since the main castle at Disneyland is Sleeping Beauty's, this fits fantastically. The queue would be interactive and set in a maze of thorns. Along the way the three fairies would appear, showcasing the weapons they are giving Phillip (the sword of truth, the shield of virtue, and the magic that turns the boiling oil to rainbows and the arrows into flowers).

I bet this will emerge on land reclaimed from Autopia on the Fantasyland side (with the rest of Autopia becoming a new Tomorrowland E-ticket).

Patricia Melton

I wouldn't count on that. Apparently Fantasyland isn't where they're looking to build a new attraction.

I think when Autopia is removed that Fantasyland will get part of its acreage and part of it will go to Tomorrowland. The Fantasyland side will get a coaster based on the Mine Trains because TDO will see a chance to reuse the investment in design that went into that for Orlando (and Shanghai), but they'll keep Snow White's Scary Adventures in DLR and re-theme the Mine Ride to Sleeping Beauty.

Tomorrowland will get something fabulous...maybe a TRON ride that rivals Transformers and Harry Potter? My son has been following the Marvel usage in the parks and he told me that he thinks they are saving Marvel stuff for a third gate at Disney in the next decade...so no Marvel in Tomorrowland. That leaves TRON and Wall-E as possible Tomorrowland options since Avatar is being saved for Animal Kingdom. I think an Avatar "alien zoo" that includes Star Wars alien creatures would be good in Tomorrowland at DLR too.

Californian Elitist

I think when Autopia is removed that Fantasyland will get part of its acreage and part of it will go to Tomorrowland. The Fantasyland side will get a coaster based on the Mine Trains because TDO will see a chance to reuse the investment in design that went into that for Orlando (and Shanghai), but they'll keep Snow White's Scary Adventures in DLR and re-theme the Mine Ride to Sleeping Beauty.

Tomorrowland will get something fabulous...maybe a TRON ride that rivals Transformers and Harry Potter? My son has been following the Marvel usage in the parks and he told me that he thinks they are saving Marvel stuff for a third gate at Disney in the next decade...so no Marvel in Tomorrowland. That leaves TRON and Wall-E as possible Tomorrowland options since Avatar is being saved for Animal Kingdom. I think an Avatar "alien zoo" that includes Star Wars alien creatures would be good in Tomorrowland at DLR too.

I'll say it again, I wouldn't count on it. We don't even know for sure if Autopia is going bye-bye, although I believe it is since Chevron has ended their contract. That side of Autopia wouldn't suit a Fantasyland ride, it intrudes Tomorrowland too much. Even Matterhorn kinda looks like it could be in Tomorrowland. I'm on MiceChat and apparently this user started a small convo with Tony Baxter and he said the new ride in Frontierland will depend on a new film coming out. I don't know if it's true or not but everyone's thinking Lone Ranger. Also there are rumors of a Wizard of Oz land type thing coming. Doubt that'll happen. I don't know about Tomorrowland and with the way things are going, I'm having strong feelings our third park, if we get one, will be Marvel themed. Now that would be interesting.

bubbles1812

Just making sure I understand you regarding the bolded part....you are just referring specifically to Disneyland correct? Because the chances of Disney getting the Marvel rights back for the East Coast in the near future are about as good as my chances of winning the lottery.

I'd love to see a Wall-E themed ride! (It's my fav Pixar movie). And something with Tron would be cool though at least for WDW, based on the concept art pictures for the new Test Track, it will be very Tron-like.

I wish they would have just kept Snow White's Scary Adventures, taken your idea of a Sleeping Beauty themed coaster, and said screw adding an unnecessary meet and greet. Sigh...

Patricia Melton

Just making sure I understand you regarding the bolded part....you are just referring specifically to Disneyland correct? Because the chances of Disney getting the Marvel rights back for the East Coast in the near future are about as good as my chances of winning the lottery...

Bubbles --

My son says that Disney cannot use Marvel east of the Mississippi in any way for many decades. So there will be no Marvel at WDW in any form.

Disney is allowed the use of Marvel in California though. I don't know about other countries like Japan, France, or China, but California is going to get Marvel stuff in the next decade.

My son says that there's about 100 acres or so that Disney can squeeze in Anaheim to build a Marvel third gate to DLR. The focus of THAT park will be coasters and thrill rides and aim at a teenager to adult thrill-seeking, mostly male demographic. My son described it as "a testosterone and adrenaline park" that meets needs that Disneyland and DCA currently don't meet.

My son disagrees, but I also think that Disney is going to buy Knott's at some point and will make that into the Marvel Park. The center of the park will be the Xavier Institute (which will be that park's "castle" landmark, like SBC at Disneyland and Carthay Circle Theater at DCA). There'd be lands for Tony Stark/Iron Man, for Thor, for Captain America, etc. It will be very interesting and unique and will definitely be a park for boys and men who are still boys at heart.

I just wonder what, if anything, they'll give little girls to enjoy at the Marvel Park. Maybe that's what the holdup is on doing it...trying to find this balance that would make the place fun for a whole family.

Ignohippo

Sorry to be thick, but I am still not following the logic. Are you saying your expectations for the mine train are low based on the dumbo area being like a mall attraction?

The original post is on page six.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the SWMT. To paraphrase, someone made the statement about people's disappointment with the Dumbo queue being all about expectations. To which I replied "yes, heaven forbid we expect more out of Disney than what you'd find at the play area of the local mall."

Rightly or wrongly, many of us were expecting the Dumbo queue to be something completely different. The fact that so many people had that impression can't simply be by coincidence. I can only speak for myself, but I was expecting something more open, where you could play games with the kids – like throwing balls at milk bottles, skee ball or, I don't know, something truly "next gen" and out of the box (and the milk bottles and skee ball references are just off the top of my head. Don't take me literally). I truly expected the Dumbo play area to be an important part of CircusLand, that just happened to also be where you could go while waiting to ride.

What we ended up with was something very different. Once again, it was just a misunderstanding of what they had planned, but, no matter how you want to spin it, it really isn't any different from your local mall play area – yes, it's got some christmas lights and some things hanging from the ceiling, but in the end, it's the same thing. I would even argue that some mall play areas are even better.

I'm sorry, while I really appreciate the idea behind it (and it's an enormous upgrade from just standing in line), it really isn't anything that spectacular. With as large as the tent is, it could have easily been used as a fun and immersive area for people of all ages – whether they were riding Dumbo or not.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I'm sorry, while I really appreciate the idea behind it (and it's an enormous upgrade from just standing in line), it really isn't anything that spectacular. With as large as the tent is, it could have easily been used as a fun and immersive area for people of all ages – whether they were riding Dumbo or not.

So, were you expecting that somehow the queue to Dumbo was something that they would allow and encourage people to come in and play around, but not actually be in the queue for Dumbo? Somehow it could be used as both a queue and a hang-out area as well? I guess I always just thought of it for what it was, the queue for a ride, and the only time you were in it was to wait in line for the ride. I don't expect to be able to just pop in and out of the Winnie The Pooh queue after playing with the touchscreens and garden play area. I mean, I guess I could hop in and out of the fence, but most people would consider that rude.

All of this though is massive thread drift, which I have greatly helped to drift farther and farther from the topic. Again, based on the Dumbo queue, do they reflect your opinions on what the mine ride will / should be? Are you expecting something groundbreaking and mind-blowing for what has always been discussed as a nice little family ride? If so, I think you might want to begin tempering your expectations now so that you can be properly ready for what is created. Disney themselves never said that the Dumbo queue was going to be anything more or less than what they delivered, it was most people's speculation on the forums that seem to have caused that. If you go in for 7D with the same expectations, you will again be disappointed.

Ignohippo

So, were you expecting that somehow the queue to Dumbo was something that they would allow and encourage people to come in and play around, but not actually be in the queue for Dumbo? Somehow it could be used as both a queue and a hang-out area as well? I guess I always just thought of it for what it was, the queue for a ride, and the only time you were in it was to wait in line for the ride. I don't expect to be able to just pop in and out of the Winnie The Pooh queue after playing with the touchscreens and garden play area. I mean, I guess I could hop in and out of the fence, but most people would consider that rude.

All of this though is massive thread drift, which I have greatly helped to drift farther and farther from the topic. Again, based on the Dumbo queue, do they reflect your opinions on what the mine ride will / should be? Are you expecting something groundbreaking and mind-blowing for what has always been discussed as a nice little family ride? If so, I think you might want to begin tempering your expectations now so that you can be properly ready for what is created. Disney themselves never said that the Dumbo queue was going to be anything more or less than what they delivered, it was most people's speculation on the forums that seem to have caused that. If you go in for 7D with the same expectations, you will again be disappointed.

Well, you could actually read my posts and know what I said before writing to long paragraphs on complete speculation. As I stated on page 1 of this thread (really not that hard to look up), I have no expectations for this ride because I don't really think it's what's needed at MK or FL. With Barnstormer and BTMRR, it seems very redundant. The statements form Lee and Raven that there are few show scenes has me even more discouraged. I think it'll be a nice little diversion but not what we should have gotten for the money that was taken away from what could have been another great and unique area of the FLE.

Yeah, I don't want to continue to the thread drift either but, as I stated in my last post, yes, I was expecting this to be an open area that anyone could pop into and enjoy. The new Dumbo has just as much outdoor queue as the previous one did, so it would make sense that the tent could have been used for more of a multi-use area than just a queue. Pooh is really not an accurate comparison for what I was expecting the area to be And yes, many people pop in and out of the Pooh queue. I thought that imagineering may have learned this and created something as an answer to that problem.

And again, it was just my expectations that were clearly very mistaken. Oddly though, so were many other people.

jt04

The original post is on page six.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the SWMT. To paraphrase, someone made the statement about people's disappointment with the Dumbo queue being all about expectations. To which I replied "yes, heaven forbid we expect more out of Disney than what you'd find at the play area of the local mall."

Rightly or wrongly, many of us were expecting the Dumbo queue to be something completely different. The fact that so many people had that impression can't simply be by coincidence. I can only speak for myself, but I was expecting something more open, where you could play games with the kids – like throwing balls at milk bottles, skee ball or, I don't know, something truly "next gen" and out of the box (and the milk bottles and skee ball references are just off the top of my head. Don't take me literally). I truly expected the Dumbo play area to be an important part of CircusLand, that just happened to also be where you could go while waiting to ride.

What we ended up with was something very different. Once again, it was just a misunderstanding of what they had planned, but, no matter how you want to spin it, it really isn't any different from your local mall play area – yes, it's got some christmas lights and some things hanging from the ceiling, but in the end, it's the same thing. I would even argue that some mall play areas are even better.

Per Kevin Yee the new configuration may have gotten rid of the lines for Dumbo. Capacity may have outstripped demand. If so I would not be suprised to see the tent repurposed at some point in the future. Get it?

jt04

I don't "get it".

The transition between FL and TL at the MK has always been problematic. If the tent becomes obsolete for its current use perhaps it could be used as one of the transitions between FL and TL. Sort of a magical time machine to the future or something. Thinking way down the road and outside the box. After the speedway is removed if that ever happens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom