Seven Dwarf's Mine Train ride expectations?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes, heaven forbid we actually think Disney would deliver something mind-blowing or set the limits higher than the type of thing you'd see at your local mall.

What were we thinking?

And here we go again... A ride which won't be done being built for 18 months that nobody has seen or ridden is now no better than something at the local mall. This time we skipped six flags completely. Nice.

doctornick

Another thing I'm having a HUGE problem with the SWMT is that it's supposedly a "family ride" yet is somewhere between Barnstormer and BTMRR. Fantasyland should be for all ages. If you can't take your 4 or 5 year old on it, or your 65 year old grandmother, then it's an epic fail IMO.

DL's Fantasyland works so incredibly well because it's made for EVERYONE. I'd be much more excited for something like the Storybook Canal Boats than this (and it probably would have cost them 1/10th as much).

Is there any reason to think this won't be a ride that can be enjoyed by everyone? In fact, it seems like some complaints are based on the fact that's not more thrilling (and would thus be more restrictive). Some people are complaining that they are building this large steel ride and it's just a boring family ride.

I guess it's possible that the swaying might prevent some people from riding if they are sensitive to that (just like some people can't go on the Mad Tea Party) but I expect any height restrictions to be pretty minimal, more akin to the pre-refurb Matterhorn. Which would be perfectly appropriate for Fantasyland.

Pixiedustmaker

Another thing I'm having a HUGE problem with the SWMT is that it's supposedly a "family ride" yet is somewhere between Barnstormer and BTMRR. Fantasyland should be for all ages. If you can't take your 4 or 5 year old on it, or your 65 year old grandmother, then it's an epic fail IMO.

DL's Fantasyland works so incredibly well because it's made for EVERYONE. I'd be much more excited for something like the Storybook Canal Boats than this (and it probably would have cost them 1/10th as much).

I agree. I don't care about the thrills too much, you don't go to Fantasyland for thrills, but to experience the core "Disney Magic". Storybook Land Canal boats is a nice ride, and you get to see a lot of detailed things. I'm not into miniatures, went to a miniature museum once and it was OK, but Storybook Land Canal boats works because it has nice landscaping, stories, and isn't row after row of miniature kids toys like in some museums. Plus they decorate for Christmas and the little lights go on at night.

I get what they are trying to do with 7DMT, but a larger budget would have allowed for more show scenes and more of those special extra. I also don't like the placement as the ride will be small enough to be walked around, if they built it on the periphery, there would be enough room for adding some cool stuff, and you wouldn't get the visual intrusion of Circusland and Mermaid.

Pixiedustmaker

Is there any reason to think this won't be a ride that can be enjoyed by everyone? In fact, it seems like some complaints are based on the fact that's not more thrilling (and would thus be more restrictive). Some people are complaining that they are building this large steel ride and it's just a boring family ride.

I guess it's possible that the swaying might prevent some people from riding if they are sensitive to that (just like some people can't go on the Mad Tea Party) but I expect any height restrictions to be pretty minimal, more akin to the pre-refurb Matterhorn. Which would be perfectly appropriate for Fantasyland.

Some 4 or 5 year olds might see the mine train cars and opt out of the ride. It sounds fun, but the ride has a massive profile, a mountain with a mine and train cars that look like they will be twenty feet up in the air or more. There might be a ride restriction as opposed to dark rides in Fantasyland.

The elderly, and those predisposed to vertigo, might not like the swinging motion, but it looks like it will be "controlled" and fairly mild from the virtual ride through. They can dampen the motion too.

Some rides get by on their thrills mostly, l like Expedition Everest which is popular even with a broken Yeti, I don't know if this ride will attract/please the the thrill goers in the family solely based on thrills.

Pixiedustmaker

Here's a D23 video of the ride vehicle development. If you look at the part where they are testing the swinging action by putting the contraption on a truck, you can tell that this video is much, much older than the rest of it, the truck is an older model and the cars in the background look older. I believe this is because the ride was developed for Disneyland Paris in the 1980s or so.

spacemt354

Chili's
Yes, heaven forbid we actually think Disney would deliver something mind-blowing or set the limits higher than the type of thing you'd see at your local mall.

What were we thinking?

Ah yes, a first of its kind attraction that nobody has ever been on yet, has now been demoted to a mall attraction.

I still am at a loss as to how people already know how this attraction is going to turn out. Nobody has been on it yet. And nobody has anything to compare it to, because it is using a brand new ride system. So until 2014 roles around, people can only speculate about the ride. If people want to set the bar low, go right ahead. If they feel they are getting a product that could have been better, that's their opinion. But no analysis by anyone is set in stone yet until we ride it for ourselves. And with that, I will continue to have hope that we will get something great and exciting, which I will enjoy again and again over the upcoming years.

doctornick

Some 4 or 5 year olds might see the mine train cars and opt out of the ride. It sounds fun, but the ride has a massive profile, a mountain with a mine and train cars that look like they will be twenty feet up in the air or more. There might be a ride restriction as opposed to dark rides in Fantasyland.

The elderly, and those predisposed to vertigo, might not like the swinging motion, but it looks like it will be "controlled" and fairly mild from the virtual ride through. They can dampen the motion too.

Some rides get by on their thrills mostly, l like Expedition Everest which is popular even with a broken Yeti, I don't know if this ride will attract/please the the thrill goers in the family solely based on thrills.

I agree with everything you say here. Some younger kids (who might be eligible) will opt out because it might look too scary. Some people with motion sickness problems will opt out as well because of the swaying. I don't think that makes it not a "family ride" though. Some people don't ride Dumbo because they don't like heights or can't handle the spinning of the tea cups. That doesn't make them not "family rides".

I'm picturing something akin to pre-refurb Matterhorn in terms of the level of thrill and the height requirements. In fact, I think that's a generally good comp for the ride in terms of what to expect in terms of theming, level of thrills, visual impact of the ride (no, not as tall a mountain though). I'm saying pre-refurb because I know they changed the height restriction now with the new vehicles, not because of anything else that they did. (I've only ridden the Matternhorn once in the past 20 years or so, so I may be off in my description of it.) Do people think that's an unreasonable comparison?

spacemt354

Chili's

Some rides get by on their thrills mostly, l like Expedition Everest which is popular even with a broken Yeti, I don't know if this ride will attract/please the thrill goers in the family solely based on thrills.

That's because it is not a thrill ride. It's a family ride. Nothing in fantasyland is supposed to be thrilling like Everest. It's supposed to be for everyone and that is why i doubt the height limit will be more than 35 inches, just like barnstormer.

And i think the assumptions on 4 or 5 year olds is a little extreme. Yes, some might not want to ride. But BTMR is a mine train, and is much taller than 20 ft, yet I see little kids go on it all the time. And with every ride, there is going to be restrictions. Some elderly people can't take the bouncing in the tigger portion of winnie the pooh. Yet a lot of others, including my grandparents can. I dont think the mine train will be any more intense than that in terms of motion and swaying. But again, this is all just speculation. Nothing concrete whatsoever.

Gregoryp73

Here's a D23 video of the ride vehicle development. If you look at the part where they are testing the swinging action by putting the contraption on a truck, you can tell that this video is much, much older than the rest of it, the truck is an older model and the cars in the background look older. I believe this is because the ride was developed for Disneyland Paris in the 1980s or so.

The truck looks like a 2002 silverado...which in turn could be a 3-5 year old utility truck, if they don't put miles on it. That would put testing anywhere from 2005-2007. At any rate i would bet that it was within the last decade.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
They never use e ticket for any rides in Amy press release I've ever seen. It's just a way to talk about the "magnitude" of the ride. At least that's how I use it. I don't expect them to ever use the phrase in an actual press release. But they have hyped it as the centerpiece of NFE and something very unique..see the way they've talked about the swinging of the carts. But at the end of the day it's a kiddie roller coaster. My point still is I've seen Disney pushing it as a bit more than it will be. I've seen plenty of people on other boards talk about it as this huge thing, which it's probably not going to be. And again, I don't hate it or something. I'm sure I'll like it just fine. It's just not probably going to wow me.

This strikes me just like the griping over the Dumbo queue area -- the problem here seems to be your expectations or your perceptions of what Disney is saying, not necessarily that they are doing anything wrong. I really don't think they've come close to hyping this to the degree you've mentioned. Yes, they've talked a lot about the swinging of the ride vehicles, that's what the "hype" of Disney has focused on. And the cars will swing, right? So, what is misleading?

I've never seen them describe it as an adult ride or even a thrill ride. I don't think they've compared to previous "E ticket" rides. It's certainly isn't getting the coverage and hype that Everest got. Or that Carsland was given (admittedly, that seemed to be focused the most closer to the opening, so it's certainly possible we'll see it for the Dwarfs' Train). My impression is that they've described it as a family ride with a familiar theme and a unique ride system.

A description on the construction walls: It’s a merry, musical family adventure as the mine rain swings and sways along rocky ledges, down steep mountain trails and through dark, winding tunnels. Then it’s home from work you go to join Snow White in song and celebration at the little cottage in the woods.

From this blogentry:
The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will take you on a rollicking, musical ride into the mine “where a million diamonds shine.” The coaster will feature a first-of-its kind ride system with a train of ride vehicles that swing back and forth as they whisk along the track. The journey will be accompanied by music from the classic Disney film and animated figures of Snow White and the Dwarfs.

These are the same sorts of discriptions that I found when I searched on this also. Nothing in these quotes is playing the ride up to be more then what it will be. I know Disney can be bad about overhyping, but I have heard/seen no evidence that they are doing that here. I think this is entirely a case of fans making it out to be more then it is.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto

What were we thinking?

I just want to know what malls you hang out at? It seems the malls I've been to recently must be sorely lacking! I mean, Mall of America I guess, but how many other malls out there are you hanging out at that have highly themed rides? All I get is a Rainforest Cafe...

Lee

Adventurer
Nope.
That video is fairly recent.
BTW, is this still the current ride plans, more or less: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...could-be-cancelled.782982/page-6#post-4697424

I wasn't sure if that was pre-budget cuts or post.
That is the correct current layout.

Jim Handy

The truck looks like a 2002 silverado...which in turn could be a 3-5 year old utility truck, if they don't put miles on it. That would put testing anywhere from 2005-2007. At any rate i would bet that it was within the last decade.
Actually the newest that truck would be is 2000.

But this is a newer video.

Pixiedustmaker

The truck looks like a pre-1990's model of Silverado as the piece of metal between the headlights is thin, while it is thicker in newer 1990's models. I don't know much about trucks, but it certainly looks like an older model of truck.

Pixiedustmaker

That video is fairly recent.

If you look at the video, it wasn't shot on a cell phone, or even a digital recorder, but has the distinct appearance of an early model home video recorder. I used to use home video recorders like this all the time and they produce this sort of video. Plus the shirts the two imagineers are wearing look old fashion, by at least a decade or two.

spacemt354

Chili's
The truck looks like a pre-1990's model of Silverado as the piece of metal between the headlights is thin, while it is thicker in newer 1990's models. I don't know much about trucks, but it certainly looks like an older model of truck.

If you look at the video, it wasn't shot on a cell phone, or even a digital recorder, but has the distinct appearance of an early model home video recorder. I used to use home video recorders like this all the time and they produce this sort of video. Plus the shirts the two imagineers are wearing look old fashion, by at least a decade or two.

Who cares? If you're concerned about trucks, cameras, and clothing you are missing the point of the video.

CinematicFusion

My biggest fear would be Disney Shanghai gets a better version of the coaster being built. Judging by the track layout, it looks to be a similar track. E6 is the Mine train from Shanghai Disney.
I think its good news they are building it in two parks. Disney must like it.

(tried to get the FLE version on but wouldn't queue up)

Blog+-+Shanghai+Disneyland+actual.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom