Seven Dwarf's Mine Train ride expectations?

Lee

Adventurer
My biggest fear would be Disney Shanghai gets a better version of the coaster being built. Judging by the track layout, it looks to be a similar track. E6 is the Mine train from Shanghai Disney.
You are looking at a fan-made layout of the Shanghai park.
It is not accurate, and should not be used for comparison purposes.
If you look at the video, it wasn't shot on a cell phone, or even a digital recorder, but has the distinct appearance of an early model home video recorder. I used to use home video recorders like this all the time and they produce this sort of video. Plus the shirts the two imagineers are wearing look old fashion, by at least a decade or two.
Regardless of how it looks to you, I can say with complete certainty that it was shot within the last few years.
Gonna have to trust me with that one.

CinematicFusion

Wow...that guy went into detail for that map. Fooled me! Now I'm worried again that another Disney park will be getting a better version of the ride.
Hope they are identical tracks.
Thanks Lee for your response

RSoxNo1

Other than the ride system components, there is nothing "off the shelf" about GRR. It is completely custom, and in my opinion a solid E.
And I love Paradise Pier. Always have.
Grizzly River Run is a solid raft ride and is certainly better than Kali (although Kali has the better queue). The problem is it's half the ride that Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges is so for me that's the point of comparison.
Also, I also like Paradise Pier and think it looks much improved after the changes.

They never use e ticket for any rides in Amy press release I've ever seen. It's just a way to talk about the "magnitude" of the ride. At least that's how I use it. I don't expect them to ever use the phrase in an actual press release. But they have hyped it as the centerpiece of NFE and something very unique..see the way they've talked about the swinging of the carts. But at the end of the day it's a kiddie roller coaster. My point still is I've seen Disney pushing it as a bit more than it will be. I've seen plenty of people on other boards talk about it as this huge thing, which it's probably not going to be. And again, I don't hate it or something. I'm sure I'll like it just fine. It's just not probably going to wow me.

At the 2009 D23 Expo, Little Mermaid was referred to as a “true E-ticket” by Jay Rasulo

bubbles1812

Grizzly River Run is a solid raft ride and is certainly better than Kali (although Kali has the better queue). The problem is it's half the ride that Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges is so for me that's the point of comparison.
Also, I also like Paradise Pier and think it looks much improved after the changes.
I love the Bilge Rat Barges! Such an awesome and well designed ride. :)

At the 2009 D23 Expo, Little Mermaid was referred to as a “true E-ticket” by Jay Rasulo
Haha..so it is still used..at least by Jay. ;) Though he has a funny definition of E-ticket... Sorry, I absolutely love The Little Mermaid and the ride is good but it's no E ticket, particularly if they don't fix the terribly flawed ending (I actually really like the CA ride until we reach the cardboard cut-out Ursula, cheesy and very cheap looking silhouette of Ariel/Eric and recycled/duplicated animatronics...all so noticeable and I wasn't even looking for flaws or things to criticize. It just stood out that much and made me wonder if they ran out of money towards the end? Am hopeful maybe just maybe the Imagineers at WDW fixed it though I doubt it).

Pixiedustmaker

... Sorry, I absolutely love The Little Mermaid and the ride is good but it's no E ticket, particularly if they don't fix the terribly flawed ending (I actually really like the CA ride until we reach the cardboard cut-out Ursula, cheesy and very cheap looking silhouette of Ariel/Eric and recycled/duplicated animatronics...all so noticeable and I wasn't even looking for flaws or things to criticize. It just stood out that much and made me wonder if they ran out of money towards the end? Am hopeful maybe just maybe the Imagineers at WDW fixed it though I doubt it).

I had the same impression concerning the ending scenes of DCA's Little Mermaid being unfinished. I remember riding the ride shortly after it opened, and while it had good Ariel & Ursula animatronics, the whole experience didn't gel. As you said, the beginning looks much better than the ending. Everything past the Ursula cut-out to the finale is stock full of duplicate animatronics and paper cut outs.

I don't like the "Kiss the Girl" scene as I was expecting a more "open" feel, with scenery that you could see from the side of the clamshell. The clamshells are packed so close together that it feels claustrophobic to me, a feeling I don't get on the Haunted mansion clamshells as I think maybe they have more space between them? Here's the gorgeous concept art:

2007_10_DCA_LittleMermaid1_600.jpeg

Would have been cool to have real water, or an effect that looks like real water, and to have stuff on the side opposite the track. The real ride scene looks more like a museum display than something that should be on a dark ride, IMHO. It seems that they changed the lighting so it looks more like moonlight, instead of the spotlights they were putting on Eric and Ariel.

The real thing doesn't seem to have the trees (and maybe fireflies) and feel of real water that would make it more romantic

5_11_DCA_02804.jpg

Which I think is improved the following with better lighting, but still missing the luxuriously expansive stuff in the concept art

tumblr_lmgegiRoEw1qcyt2ro1_500.jpg

Oh, and the Sebastian is a duplicate for this scene too!

images

Same animatronic with arms pointed down, maybe still conducting . . . though in one Sebastian is left handed, and right handed in the other . . . in the 'Kiss the Girl' scene it just looks like maybe his whole body is tilted down, same animatronic IMHO, with some minor adjustments. His mouth (Sebastian's) looks like it should move, but I don't think it does!!

Little-Mermaid-Ride-Sebastian.jpg

I think they did this to save money as the concept art shows Sebastian in the boat, in the ride he does nothing but conduct music exactly the same way!

mermaid_2.jpg

Some much earlier concept art shows more animals

dlrpmermaid25.jpg

Scuttle

I don't recall seeing this other concept art. Is this for the DCA/MK version of the attraction or the version from several years ago?

I don't recall seeing that either. Sad if that's what the original plans were and it got scaled down to four fish and a moon. What an incredible show scene this could have been.

Ignohippo

Ah yes, a first of its kind attraction that nobody has ever been on yet, has now been demoted to a mall attraction.

I still am at a loss as to how people already know how this attraction is going to turn out. Nobody has been on it yet. And nobody has anything to compare it to, because it is using a brand new ride system. So until 2014 roles around, people can only speculate about the ride. If people want to set the bar low, go right ahead. If they feel they are getting a product that could have been better, that's their opinion. But no analysis by anyone is set in stone yet until we ride it for ourselves. And with that, I will continue to have hope that we will get something great and exciting, which I will enjoy again and again over the upcoming years.

Um...the mall attraction I was talking about was the Dumbo play area.

Ignohippo

I just want to know what malls you hang out at? It seems the malls I've been to recently must be sorely lacking! I mean, Mall of America I guess, but how many other malls out there are you hanging out at that have highly themed rides? All I get is a Rainforest Cafe...

Once again, I was referring to the very lackluster Dumbo queue play area. Obviously my fault. I should have been more clear.

Pixiedustmaker

The play area in Dumbo is similar to the play area they have in the Sea Life Aquarium in Phoenix, which is inside the mall, but you've got to pay to get inside to see the aquariums and it is at the end. It is nicely themed, but after a couple minutes, the adults get bored. I couldn't find a good picture, but to the right below is the big double level play area.

sealife07.jpg

0.jpg

Some mall play areas can be pretty well themed too

DSC02277.JPG

Go-Wild-Childrens-Play-Area.jpg

While Dumbo's play area is a well themed play area, it isn't necessarily anything special as there are plenty of these all around the country, though it probably is in the top 5% in terms of theming.

djkidkaz

DSC02277.JPG

While Dumbo's play area is a well themed play area, it isn't necessarily anything special as there are plenty of these all around the country, though it probably is in the top 5% in terms of theming.

Yeah, instead of Dumbo they used large photos of Osama Bin Laden. Looks like a solid "B" ticket to me! :)

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
The play area in Dumbo is similar to the play area they have in the Sea Life Aquarium in Phoenix, which is inside the mall, but you've got to pay to get inside to see the aquariums and it is at the end. It is nicely themed, but after a couple minutes, the adults get bored. I couldn't find a good picture, but to the right below is the big double level play area.

I still don't think you can compare a play center in an admission based aquarium at the mall and one in the United Arab Emirates (who tend to be very lavish with their indoor entertainment areas for good reason). Yes, some mall play areas can be very nice. This one is nicer, and by the way, it's not the attraction, it's the queue for the attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom