Seven Dwarf's Mine Train ride expectations?

Disneyhead'71

Am I understanding correctly that the trains themselves will be going through the Cottage? That seems like a MAJOR thematic break in the story canon.

ParentsOf4

You mean the Despicable Me ride that has been pulling steady 100 minute waits, great guest satisfaction ratings and merch sales out the wazoo? Or the night show that everyone that's actually seen it loves?

Thank you, come again.
We just did the Despicable Me ride for the first time on Monday. The entire family loved it!

doctornick

So, the more I think about this, the more I think the best comparison ride for the 7DMT is the Matterhorn. Not the same, obviously, but similar in scope: the Matternhorn is a mild coaster, it has some indoor and some outdoor parts, it has some audio-animatronics. The Matternhorn is a little over 2 minutes in ride length depending on the track, which is probably where the 7DMT will end up (maybe a little longer). Prior to the recent refurb, the height restriction was relatively low (35", I think and it was 3 years old before that) so it was mild enough to fairly young kids.

Isn't this pretty much what the 7DMT will be like? I ask because the Matterhorn seems to be a beloved, can't miss kind of ride to many but the 7DMT is being dismissed as a disappointment or relatively insignificant. Is the Matterhorn a bad comp for some reason?

Californian Elitist

So, the more I think about this, the more I think the best comparison ride for the 7DMT is the Matterhorn. Not the same, obviously, but similar in scope: the Matternhorn is a mild coaster, it has some indoor and some outdoor parts, it has some audio-animatronics. The Matternhorn is a little over 2 minutes in ride length depending on the track, which is probably where the 7DMT will end up (maybe a little longer). Prior to the recent refurb, the height restriction was relatively low (35", I think and it was 3 years old before that) so it was mild enough to fairly young kids.

Isn't this pretty much what the 7DMT will be like? I ask because the Matterhorn seems to be a beloved, can't miss kind of ride to many but the 7DMT is being dismissed as a disappointment or relatively insignificant. Is the Matterhorn a bad comp for some reason?

I don't think this is a good comparison. The Matterhorn is a legend because it was the first steel coaster in the world. It paved the way for other coasters of its kind and it was pretty impressive at the time it came on to the scene, in 1959. This is a new age and era so people don't expect to see rides like the Matterhorn. They want something more, something better and based on the concepts we've seen, 7DMT isn't that. I think if people stop expecting the ride to be a big and bad E-ticket and just accept it for what it is, a fun ride, then there wouldn't be so much disappointment. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Skyway

Perhaps because of its location in the MK, I keep envisioning something more akin to DL's Storybook Land/Casey Jr. attractions.

If true, it creates an interesting dynamic.

There's no denying that Storybook Land is a Walt classic. It's quaint, charming, beautiful, and certainly different than anything the company has built in the past few decades. There are no animatronics, no figures, minimal soundtrack, and no thrills. It's more like something you'd find at a European botanical garden.

If Disney were to build an exact replica of Storybook Land at WDW, I think diehard fans would rejoice. Other park guests, however, might find it a snooze.

So imagine if Disney were to take the basic Storybook Land model and try to "plus" it ever so slightly. Instead of a slow-moving boat or train, they put in an extremely mild roller coaster. They add a few animatronics and figures, but nothing excessive. A more memorable soundtrack is included.

On one hand, this could be viewed as putting a slightly modern twist on a 50 year old Walt original.

On the other hand, it could be viewed as a kiddie coaster that was cheaply deprived of big show scenes.

luv

I thought this was going to be a cool ride, not a kiddie ride. I was execting something like EE or the Mummy. I was hoping it would be even better, like a State of the Art thrill coaster.

Is it just another kiddie coaster?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I thought this was going to be a cool ride, not a kiddie ride. I was execting something like EE or the Mummy. I was hoping it would be even better, like a State of the Art thrill coaster.

This will NOT be an "E" ticket ride at all. It will be more like any other Fantasyland dark ride with just a little bit of steroids thrown in. It will be a "C" ticket attraction just like all the other fantasyland attractions.

So yes, it will be mostly a kiddie ride. Expect anything more and you will be disappointed. Expect less and you might be pleased!

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Fanstasyland is generally aimed at younger guests, so a high thrill ride (probably with a high height limit) wouldn't really be appropriate. From everything we have heard this will be a higher thrill level then Goofini, but not as intense as Big Thunder.

doctornick

I don't think this is a good comparison. The Matterhorn is a legend because it was the first steel coaster in the world. It paved the way for other coasters of its kind and it was pretty impressive at the time it came on to the scene, in 1959. This is a new age and era so people don't expect to see rides like the Matterhorn. They want something more, something better and based on the concepts we've seen, 7DMT isn't that. I think if people stop expecting the ride to be a big and bad E-ticket and just accept it for what it is, a fun ride, then there wouldn't be so much disappointment. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

I bolded the part that is also my point. I think the 7DMT will be a fun ride -- just like the Matterhorn is. If you set your expectation level for a ride similar in caliber to the Matterhorn, I think you'll enjoy the 7DMT greatly. It's a far better ride than a "kiddie coaster" (like the Great Goofini or Gadget's Go Coaster) even if it's not near the thrill level of Big Thunder Mtn -- I expect that the 7DMT will be the same, possibly even a bit more interesting than the Matterhorn due to more show scenes and the swinging ride mechanics, though the Matterhorn would be more visually impressing due to the size of that mountain.

Do people disagree that the 7DMT will likely be a similar level of thrills as the Matternhorn?

Pixiedustmaker

Do people disagree that the 7DMT will likely be a similar level of thrills as the Matternhorn?

The virtual ride through shows that 7DMT is much tamer than the Matterhorn, it would kind of have to be as the carts need the time to swing back and forth as you zoom around, too much "zooming" and the acceleration would keep the cart from moving much.

It will be a new sensation, swinging back and forth while gliding forward, and that could be very cool. But the ride is in Fantasyland, and the probably wanted to make it tame enough for the whole family. This didn't preclude adding more Snow White scenes and turning it into an E-Ticket though as Pirates has only the waterfall drop as a "thrill". . .

disney fan 13

I'm expecting this to be above barnstormer's thrill level but below Matterhorn's thrill level with reused SW figures throughout the ride. Anything else will be a pleasant surprise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom