Seven Dwarf's Mine Train ride expectations?

dreamscometrue

I'll take the official numbers over your friends. No offense, of course. ;)

No offence taken. :)

Have you seen the night time show. I haven't, but from what i saw on Youtube, and in talking with the people who have seen it, it seems very underwhelming. I actually expected much more. People on here trash TDO for overhyping stuff, but I thought this was going to be something spectacular at Uni. It doesn't seem like this is the case at all. I think some people on here are becoming 'Uni pixed dusted', as it were. If it's fair to trash WDW and TDO, I think some 'WDW fans' on here who hold Disney to a high standard, need to be fair and admit all Uni offerings aren't amazing either.

GLaDOS

Have you seen the night time show. I haven't, but from what i saw on Youtube, and in talking with the people who have seen it, it seems very underwhelming. I actually expected much more. People on here trash TDO for overhyping stuff, but I thought this was going to be something spectacular at Uni. It doesn't seem like this is the case at all. I think some people on here are becoming 'Uni pixed dusted', as it were. If it's fair to trash WDW and TDO, I think some 'WDW fans' on here who hold Disney to a high standard, need to be fair and admit all Uni offerings aren't amazing either.

Yes, I saw it recently and was very impressed. I'd rather watch it than Wishes, which I also like quite a bit. But I'm not sure if I'd put it over Reflections of Earth.It's not a perfect show, by any means. But it's definitely got the emotion for it. The pyro restrictions for Uni are unfortunate, as more fireworks would definitely help. But I think it's very good as of now.

And, it's being plussed as we speak. Lasers are being added to the show, which should be really great.

And I'll be the first to tell you all of Uni's offerings aren't great. KidZone is pretty bad, but that should be fixed within a few years, and Twister is boring as heck.

bubbles1812

I'm one of the ones who is quite critical of Disney at times, and I fully admit it...though I don't think what I do is "trash" them...most of the things I've seen on here are fairly valid criticisms. And I love what Universal is doing. They are putting so much more money into their parks right now and have so much more in development as well as cleaning up their park so they get high praise from me. But as GLaDOS said, I'd be another to say they certainly aren't perfect and they still have a ways to go. Actually, if you asked me a few years ago before they started putting money in again, I would have said there were many more problems at Universal. Some of their rides are outdated (as are Disney's) and some areas like KidZone need a complete overhaul... but again like GLaDOS indicated, they are addressing many (though not all but still many) of those problems. I don't see Disney addressing as many of their current problems so they get a little bit harder criticism from me at the moment.

spacemt354

Chili's
And I love what Universal is doing. They are putting so much more money into their parks right now and have so much more in development as well as cleaning up their park so they get high praise from me.

It seems to me like in order to get these huge budgeted projects in this day and age, the parks themselves have to either flop in attendance or recieve a bad reputation on a much larger scale then just a fan website. Now, I'm not defending TDO in any way, because I do feel that a major investment needs to go into the parks in the near future. But, to me at least when looking at Universal and DCA, these places are spending and spending because they had to. IoA opened up with not so high attendance ratings, and DCA got a bad reputation for not living up to DL across the way, or any other park disney has created. So in order to boost attendance, IoA brought in Harry Potter, a franchise that appeals to all ages, and DCA went into a massive overhaul to erase their bad reputation.

I know I'm gonna get shut down for this view because everyone is going to say Disney used to spend even when they didn't have to, but I think we really need to look at where Universal was before these new developments. In my opinion, those parks were not even close to disney standard a few miles down. So when Universal gets high praise for their advancements now, of course they deserve it, but it doesn't automatically slingshot them ahead of Disney. Disney was already on top, imo, and now Universal is coming up in the ranks, creating competition. Competition is good for the consumer, especially the consumer of Disney world who is trying to stay on top. If they want to remain on top, then things are only going to get better in the future for the consumer.

Fantasyland looks great so far, from what I have seen. In regards to 7DMT, I don't know what it's going to bring in terms of thrills. But I can only hope that the "centerpiece" of the expansion is going to look great. To the podcast host who said E+, I've heard him before. I didn't hear him say that about 7D, but if he wants to think that, then he can be our guest (pardon the pun). The truth is that Disney has now done a massive project to one of their parks, something people have been asking about for some time now. Whether people think it's on par with expansions of Universal, is up to them. I'm not going to make any rash assumptions like 7D is a B ticket or E+ ticket, because I haven't been on it yet. Just like nobody has gone on the Gringotts ride yet either, so they can't say that it's going to be better than 7D, because neither of them are built yet. So all we can do for now, if we are all disney fans and want disney to succeed, is sit back and hope for the best.

bubbles1812

It seems to me like in order to get these huge budgeted projects in this day and age, the parks themselves have to either flop in attendance or recieve a bad reputation on a much larger scale then just a fan website. Now, I'm not defending TDO in any way, because I do feel that a major investment needs to go into the parks in the near future. But, to me at least when looking at Universal and DCA, these places are spending and spending because they had to. IoA opened up with not so high attendance ratings, and DCA got a bad reputation for not living up to DL across the way, or any other park disney has created. So in order to boost attendance, IoA brought in Harry Potter, a franchise that appeals to all ages, and DCA went into a massive overhaul to erase their bad reputation.

I would actually agree with your assessment, at least with the bolded part...sort of. Universal needed to bring in something to prevent them from falling off the map. So they brought in Potter. And it's made them tons and tons and tons of money. And will continue to do so probably for quite a long time. The Potter franchise isn't going to lose it's popularity any time soon. I think it has the potential to perpetuate forward like the Chronicles of Narnia and Lord of the Rings have done. Parents will continue to encourage their kids to read the series and so on. But I digress... at this juncture in time, since Potter, I would say they really didn't have to do anything else to their parks if they didn't want to. They've seen the attendance boost and they could probably just relax for a few years if they so felt like it. It's not a necessity anymore. They are now spending because they want to and Comcast wants to.

I know I'm gonna get shut down for this view because everyone is going to say Disney used to spend even when they didn't have to, but I think we really need to look at where Universal was before these new developments. In my opinion, those parks were not even close to disney standard a few miles down. So when Universal gets high praise for their advancements now, of course they deserve it, but it doesn't automatically slingshot them ahead of Disney. Disney was already on top, imo, and now Universal is coming up in the ranks, creating competition. Competition is good for the consumer, especially the consumer of Disney world who is trying to stay on top. If they want to remain on top, then things are only going to get better in the future for the consumer.

You make several points again that I actually agree with. While I think you and I probably would have disagreed exactly where Universal landed on the "Disney Spectrum" before all these new projects started popping up, I would agree that they were not close Disney. In fact, I would have said Universal was dying a slow and painful death. The group that owned them at the time did not put any money into the parks and were usually looking to for someone/anyone who would take the parks off their hands (though... *cough* Disney was entertaining that idea too *cough*).

Anyways, I don't think I've seen anyone say Universal has "slingshotted" past Disney or rank ahead...yet. I wouldn't say I've seen anyone even saying that is going to happen in the immediate future. But as you said, Universal is coming up the ranks. They are developing big BIG projects (and I'm not even talking about Harry Potter 2.0 though that too), and what's more is that they are doing multiple projects at the same time. This unfortunately can't be said of Disney. Where Disney will spend 250 million, Universal is spending 500 million...they are spending more money in their parks to improve them at this current time. This is a fact.

And competition is great for the consumer! Part of the reason I've seen so much excitement in the Universal thread is not only because many of Universal's projects sound awesome but because there is HOPE that this will finally spur TDO to address many of the problems in the parks...like AK/DHS being half finished parks or that Future World in Epcot is basically crying for some attention. Unfortunately, TDO has show reluctance to spend money in recent years. It is a fact that they usually reduce the budgets of projects substantially. NFE was originally supposed to be an 800 million dollar project. That budget was reduced in half. Now, I know some people are really psyched about NFE and I think it will look nice, I do, I don't hate it, but I sure would have liked them to have been willing to take that risk and stick with that original 800 million plan. I like seeing Disney when it goes to it's full potential, not just half of it. And I think that's where a lot of the skepticism comes from. People just aren't seeing the leadership at Disney willing to spend the money to compete with their neighbors down the road. If a company sits on their laurels long enough, someone, whether it's Universal or something else, will be given the chance to pass them by.

Now you could argue that Avatar is going to be the answer to Potter... but by the time Avatar is finished Potter will already be out and Universal will have already moved on to other major projects. Disney is being reactive rather than proactive (when they used to be) at this time. Right now, they are steps behind. And again, the budget on that project has a hard ceiling of 500 million according to Lee (who I certainly trust), and there is a huge chance that will be reduced. Which says to me it could possibly end up being another wasted opportunity to jump way ahead of the competition again

Fantasyland looks great so far, from what I have seen. In regards to 7DMT, I don't know what it's going to bring in terms of thrills. But I can only hope that the "centerpiece" of the expansion is going to look great. To the podcast host who said E+, I've heard him before. I didn't hear him say that about 7D, but if he wants to think that, then he can be our guest (pardon the pun). The truth is that Disney has now done a massive project to one of their parks, something people have been asking about for some time now. Whether people think it's on par with expansions of Universal, is up to them. I'm not going to make any rash assumptions like 7D is a B ticket or E+ ticket, because I haven't been on it yet. Just like nobody has gone on the Gringotts ride yet either, so they can't say that it's going to be better than 7D, because neither of them are built yet. So all we can do for now, if we are all disney fans and want disney to succeed, is sit back and hope for the best.

I am sure the 7DMT will look great. I will say Disney does theming better than anyone else out there. But they used to be at the forefront of a lot more things than just theming...creativity in ride design for one, pushing technological boundaries (and NO I am not just referring to "thrill rides" when I say this)...they used to do that. Now I know some people say who needs that type of stuff but in reality, that is the future of theme parks. It can't be just about theming if you want to draw crowds in and grow. I know, I know you say well 7DMT will have a brand new ride system...the cars swing...that sounds fun in my book, but certainly not anything revolutionary in the grand scheme of things. There are plenty of rides that swing. But from what I've seen about the new train ride and yes, their Gringotts ride, the new technology, the creativity in ride design, they will have that. And that's just for the stuff in HP 2.0. Those are "E tickets" without a doubt, from everything I've learned. From everything I've learned about 7DMT, it most definitely is not an E ticket. I'm not making "rash assumptions" to use your wording...I'm basing that judgment on the videos that we've been shown, what the people who are in the know have said, ect. I'm not saying it will be horrible or anything. I'm sure it will be fine...but I expect more from Disney than fine

I do hope Disney succeeds. I am a Disney fan. But that doesn't mean I can't hope that Disney knows what I know they are actually capable of in the future.

bubbles1812

Jealousy doesn't look good on you guys.
Yeah... I'm soooooooo jealous that Disney is putting in a new spinner (or well, really just a replica of an old spinner), a replica of a not popular ride from California, and what looks to be a roller coaster that may be a step above Barnstormer at worst and a step below Big Thunder at best (Yes, I will be fair and reserve final judgment until I actually ride the thing, but I call it like I see it and that's what I've seen so far) ... While in about two years time I'm going to get two huge E tickets plus all the other fun things they are adding (stores, possible other smaller attraction, unique merchandise ect) at HP 2.0. Plus the other big projects (note, that is plural, not singular) Universal has coming up over the next 5 years or so. And maybe during that time, Disney will finally get Avatar built, though considering the mine train is taking to 2014, I'm not exactly optimistic about their building speed.

It is NOT a crime to like both places or to think that one is doing a better job with development/projects/spending money to improve their respective parks. If Disney were doing what Universal was doing, they would get the higher praise from me. As it were, they are not. :rolleyes:

lazyboy97o

Disney was already on top, imo, and now Universal is coming up in the ranks, creating competition. Competition is good for the consumer, especially the consumer of Disney world who is trying to stay on top. If they want to remain on top, then things are only going to get better in the future for the consumer.
Tortoise and the Hair. Yes, Walt Disney World may be the long time champ but competition only means something if it is taken seriously. Walt Disney World is not trying to stay on top, they are napping, arrogantly confident that the gap will never close. That is not a recipe for something better, only disaster. Plenty of companies have been the long reigning king of their industry only to fall well below their height or, even worse, cease to exist.

spacemt354

Chili's
Walt Disney World is not trying to stay on top, they are napping, arrogantly confident that the gap will never close. That is not a recipe for something better, only disaster.

Okay.. that's your opinion. But I don't know how you can say they are "napping" when this whole thread is about an addition to an expansion at one of their parks. You might not personally think this is good enough. You might think they are being cheap, lazy, arrogant whatever adjective you want to use, but you can't say they are napping. The fact is Disney World has always expanded. From the past, present, and into the future. So you may not agree that these new additions and the future projects on the way are enough to combat competition, but there is no defined recipe that spells disaster for disney if we haven't even seen the finished product of this expansion yet.

lazyboy97o

Okay.. that's your opinion. But I don't know how you can say they are "napping" when this whole thread is about an addition to an expansion at one of their parks. You might not personally think this is good enough. You might think they are being cheap, lazy, arrogant whatever adjective you want to use, but you can't say they are napping. The fact is Disney World has always expanded. From the past, present, and into the future. So you may not agree that these new additions and the future projects on the way are enough to combat competition, but there is no defined recipe that spells disaster for disney if we haven't even seen the finished product of this expansion yet.
It is a neat little roller coaster. Not a headlining attraction unless you are trying to coddle favor with Disney. It is not being built to attract attention, just deal with year's of whittling away the park's capacity, so no, it is not an expansion. Yes, it all looks great, but even it is nothing exceptional or new when looking at what else is happening out there in the industry.

spacemt354

Chili's
It is a neat little roller coaster. Not a headlining attraction unless you are trying to coddle favor with Disney. It is not being built to attract attention, just deal with year's of whittling away the park's capacity, so no, it is not an expansion. Yes, it all looks great, but even it is nothing exceptional or new when looking at what else is happening out there in the industry.

It seems like you have already given this expansion, yes it is an expansion, a critic already just based on things you have read or heard. I don't judge an entire movie based on it's trailer. The trailer doesn't tell the whole story. It might make you interested or uninterested, but you have to see it to make a final opinion. And as of right now for the mine train, we've only seen the trailer, (literally a 30 sec trailer), of what this attraction is going to be. So until I see the whole movie (or attraction in this case) I'm going to reserve my full opinion.

bubbles1812

Not at the rate Universal is... and if they can every acquire the land (which is a possibility, and they do have some land), a third park isn't out of the realm of possibility. Disney builds very very slowly too. I don't know if you've read the Universal thread but in the 5 years it is going to take them to build Avatar, Universal will most likely have new significant expansions besides Harry Potter 2.0, not to mention a water park, a resort, and other random rides. And as far as we know, from many trusted insiders, Avatar is the only major project coming down the pipeline. We can talk til we are blue in the face about purported projects coming to Disney (the fixing of DHS for instance) but they simply aren't being greenlighted. And even Avatar may be an "if" not a "when." (I still think it's a "when" but that could definitely change.) And again, Disney is being reactive, not proactive. Avatar was only begun because of Potter. They are on the defense, not playing offense and offense it what wins games. Do I think Disney is in danger of losing their crown right now? No. But certainly, if they do not address the big problems they have in their current parks, they will risk that. NFE was something that should have happened and was needed many many years ago. Sure, it's cute, but it is no Potter...it's not even a full land. There is no defined recipe for disaster, that is true, and no we haven't seen the finished product...but we've seen the plans, we've seen the videos, heck, you can even go out to California and ride LM...there isn't anything new about the ride, it's the exact same track...people can make educated guesses that NFE may not be enough.

bubbles1812

It seems like you have already given this expansion, yes it is an expansion, a critic already just based on things you have read or heard. I don't judge an entire movie based on it's trailer. The trailer doesn't tell the whole story. It might make you interested or uninterested, but you have to see it to make a final opinion. And as of right now for the mine train, we've only seen the trailer, (literally a 30 sec trailer), of what this attraction is going to be. So until I see the whole movie (or attraction in this case) I'm going to reserve my full opinion.

That was literally a depiction of what the ride will be... that length, those show scenes. They showed the mine scene and the second mine scene. And the cottage at the end, I believe (sorry, been a while since I've watched it.) But that was literally what it's supposed to be, albeit in simple computer graphics. I don't think your analogy holds tons of water... again, even beyond that video, we've seen other video of construction, we've seen Imagineer's talk about it, we've seen the Insiders on this board talk about it. No, until you ride it, no one can judge fully. But again, we have enough info to make an educated guess. Even from that video the other day showing the mine train building as it stands now...that building, while nice looking, was not actually all that big. The mine train ride will not be all that big. Now big doesn't always equate to great but, to me, that shows it's a lot more along the size of Barnstormer than it is on Big Thunder. We know a bit more than the "trailer" at this point. We've seen a few featurettes and some of the tv spots too.

spacemt354

Chili's
They are on the defense, not playing offense and offense it what wins games.

The old sports analogy. Offense sells tickets, but defense wins championships.

New places like Potter 2.0 might get people's interest, but as you already said, people don't like only Universal or Disney. A lot of people like both. And a lot of people will still go to disney because they enjoy it. Disney is already #1 and being that, the one thing you can play is defense. Running up the score would be nice in this case, but being #1 gives you the benefit of reacting to what the competition does. Imagineers never stop creating. Projects could be going on right now that we won't see for another few decades. And Disney World will never stop growing. That is their philosophy, and whether you want to agree that the expansions are good or not is a different conversation. They haven't stopped playing offense, not by a long shot. The offense they produce you may not like, but that doesn't mean it's not offense.

Defense wins championships. Although you may think I'm crazy for thinking that, it holds true. Disney is in the driver's seat. They are the best right now. The competition is trying to keep up with them. So they attempt to match whatever the competition throws out there. Again, you as an individual might think the attractions don't cut it, but maybe others do. And Disney still produces offense and has managed to sustain the number 1 vacation destination throughout the years with that philosophy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom