Sentinel writes article on broken yeti!

wbc

They pull him out the same way they took him in...in pieces.
The yeti wasn't lifted up in one piece by crane and "flown" in (Murray the dragon style). He was taken inside the special part of the mountain built for him, and assembled/installed.

There are large maintenance doors on the south side of the mountain's show building that will allow for his removal.

Looking at this again I start to think about the rumors.

The rumor is that there's a problem with the foundation under the Yeti or whatever structure supports it.

While there may be adequate space to disassemble and remove the Yeti and the associated equipment needed for that task, there may not be adequate space to bring in equipment needed to do substantial foundation/structural work for the Yeti's support.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT

The rumor is that there's a problem with the foundation under the Yeti or whatever structure supports it.

While there may be adequate space to disassemble and remove the Yeti and the associated equipment needed for that task, there may not be adequate space to bring in equipment needed to do substantial foundation/structural work for the Yeti's support.
Now this we agree on. How would you work on a foundation in such closed quarters. This really might be the problem all along.

Just take out the disco strobe light. Please.

wbc

No one in my family even notices is. I don't blame them, I have to look pretty hard to see it in Disco mode.

I think I only rode it once or twice in A mode, and I clearly remember that gigantic horrific looking thing screaming down at you.

wbc

Now this we agree on. How would you work on a foundation in such closed quarters. This really might be the problem all along.

I don't know how the support is designed.

I'm sure there are piers, the soil is probably not stable enough without them. Who knows how deep they are... they could be 100 feet deep for all I know. You can't drop in more piers or remove broken ones if you don't have the overhead clearance.

Would be pretty hard to get a pump truck in, too.

I'm not that experienced with re-work, only new construction. So I'm not sure what they'd have to do.

misterID

This is the issue that resonated with me the most from reading the orlando sentinal article....

...so 300 fans signed a petition. Big freakin Whup! Wow. By the article's same fact pattern, 2000 people get sucked up by this ride every hour. The amount of people that are theoretically up in arms about this ride, represent 10 minutes of EE riders over the course of an entire day.

Don't blame TDO for not taking notice at those numbers....I dont think any well run business would take notice at such insignificant dissent.

Seriously folks, the way to make them get up an notice, is to get proactive. I have a suggestion:

While I don't have a hair on my asscott to do something like this....perhaps some others are....

...go to cafepress. Make T-shirts and wear them at the park.....heck, superimpose the Yeti's head on John Travolta's body in Dance Fever...and paste THAT on a T-shirt....and wear them to AK. People will ask...people will notice.

Get people talking. The Orlando article is a good start....but if your average park visitor knows somethings broken, they'll demand TDO take action.

This is the plight of the fan-boy. It exists in every walk of a fan-boy's life. This is sorta like music fans....imagine the rush fans that have been to every Rush show since John Rutzy left the group ...and listen to them complain that the band doesn't play "I think I'm going Bald" anymore. You think Rush cares? Perhaps they do...but they're not going to add it to the setlist unless the whole freaking stadium chants it....and for that to happen, the whole stadium has to buy the album.

Same goes for this issue.

Make the average family, who spends 4-7 days in WDW, every 3 years....buy the album!

I also think someone around here needs to start making Disco Yeti avatars... I'll take one.

SOLISIMO

Or what if the foundation is too weakend to support anymore weight, ie: cranes:shrug:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
No one in my family even notices is. I don't blame them, I have to look pretty hard to see it in Disco mode.

I think I only rode it once or twice in A mode, and I clearly remember that gigantic horrific looking thing screaming down at you.
If you are lucky enough to have witnessed A-mode, your lucky enough.

I don't know how the support is designed.

I'm sure there are piers, the soil is probably not stable enough without them. Who knows how deep they are... they could be 100 feet deep for all I know. You can't drop in more piers or remove broken ones if you don't have the overhead clearance.

Would be pretty hard to get a pump truck in, too.

I'm not that experienced with re-work, only new construction. So I'm not sure what they'd have to do.
I guess my thinking is this: Theyare obviously trying to come up with a solution if it is this technical of an operation. One would think that if it just wasn't feasible or fixable (foundation) then they would have put the yeti in a stationary position for good, reworked the lighting in that area to possibly make it a dramatic build up of lights as the train moves closer to him and remove the cheap strobe, and be done with it. End of story.

Since they are going in and covering him with tarps temporarily or recent reports, it leads one to believe that there might be a solution... or maybe the solution is something from what I said above.

I wouldnt have a problem with them admitting the situation is not fixable, reworking that area to compensate for that with new lighting and sound since there would be no more movement and lets move on.

GrumpyFan

If you are lucky enough to have witnessed A-mode, your lucky enough.

I guess my thinking is this: Theyare obviously trying to come up with a solution if it is this technical of an operation. One would think that if it just wasn't feasible or fixable (foundation) then they would have put the yeti in a stationary position for good, reworked the lighting in that area to possibly make it a dramatic build up of lights as the train moves closer to him and remove the cheap strobe, and be done with it. End of story.

I wouldnt have a problem with them admitting the situation is not fixable, reworking that area to compensate for that with new lighting and sound since there would be no more movement and lets move on.

I've seen Yeti in A-mode many times. My first time, I remember thinking "whoa, he's big, and that was quick".

I would tend to agree with you. It's obviously not a simple thing to just go in and fix. By all appearances, it would seem they have tried at least a couple of different things in hopes of presenting a somewhat workable, yet safe to the structure, moving figure and that perhaps they're still trying to come up with a solution that doesn't require them shutting down the ride for an extended period.

I think they could go a long way to appeasing the community, if they would just come out and say what the problem is, what they've done so far to try and fix it, and what they're future plans are. I know they haven't ever done anything like that in the past, but maybe this situation and the times calls for something different. The fan base has changed quite significantly, and the bad press could easily be minimized, if they wanted to. Perhaps they could look at having a D23 convention in Florida, then they could have a session just to talk about Everest and the Yeti and its problems.

aklodge

Eh, if they really wanted to fix it they could. TDO just doesn't want to spend the money to do it.

It's been broken for a couple of years now, which is plenty of time to come up with a long term solution. Disney has some of the top engineers in the world; they could fix it if they really wanted to.

sleepybear

I'll be interested in seeing what happens now that this is out there. Of course, I have to wonder too, if the timing of this article wasn't maybe slightly maliscious, considering that Disney usually raises prices on the first weekend in August.

But there's the rub. They're raising prices. So visitors to AK will be paying more than they would have three years ago while getting slightly less. I go out of my way to defend Disney whenever possible, but it does disappoint me that they're constantly raising the price of everything (tickets, hotels, food) when the quality is slowly declining.

IWant2GoNow

I've seen Yeti in A-mode many times. My first time, I remember thinking "whoa, he's big, and that was quick".

I would tend to agree with you. It's obviously not a simple thing to just go in and fix. By all appearances, it would seem they have tried at least a couple of different things in hopes of presenting a somewhat workable, yet safe to the structure, moving figure and that perhaps they're still trying to come up with a solution that doesn't require them shutting down the ride for an extended period.

I think they could go a long way to appeasing the community, if they would just come out and say what the problem is, what they've done so far to try and fix it, and what they're future plans are. I know they haven't ever done anything like that in the past, but maybe this situation and the times calls for something different. The fan base has changed quite significantly, and the bad press could easily be minimized, if they wanted to. Perhaps they could look at having a D23 convention in Florida, then they could have a session just to talk about Everest and the Yeti and its problems.

That's all I really want out of all this.

*And for the Yeti to actually be fixed. :D

Buried20KLeague

Original Poster

IWant2GoNow

Hmmm... Know what's funny about this... This article just takes a few lines from the Sentinel article and sort of fills in the blanks on its own, with no citation to the original article.

Is that weird, or is it just me??

I sent an e-mail to Lance, by the way, to point him to the original article.

WOW. The used Martin quote on page 1. I wonder if he gave permission. This is definitely strange and leech like.

Agreed on all accounts. Very much a cut and paste article.

Good work 20k! Didn't even think to e-mail Lance. :wave:

GrumpyFan

FTA: "Engineers at Walt Disney World say they trying to figure out how to re-activate a 25-foot tall mechanical abominable snowman that stopped working last year.
The animatronic yeti that once lunged at rollercoaster riders at the Florida theme park stalled in March 2009"

Wow, talk about crappy reporting! I think the original article also said "it has stopped working", which isn't really accurate. From everything I've seen discussed here and elsewhere, the Yeti still works, it's just that Disney shut him down due to safety issues or damages that had occured to the foundation caused by his movement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom