Sentinel writes article on broken yeti!

BrerFrog

Has Joe Rohde weighed in on this subject?

I'd really like to read or hear this thoughts about the current status of his baby. Or has Disney corporate told him to keep quiet on the matter?

That would certainly be nice, but I don't think he would say anything about it since it would probably go like this:

"I want to fix it, but the bean counters won't let me." :lol:

Biff215

Some other problems with the park is that the current trend in Disney is to build attractions simultaneously for two parks. But Animal Kingdom's theming is so different than any other park (Epcot has the same problem). Animal Kingdom is the only Disney Park in the world that has never had a clone built for it. It has had two of it's attractions cloned (it's tough to be a bug and Festival of the Lion King), but it has never received a cloned attraction. It has to foot the bill for all of the development costs, so things get pushed to the back burner.

This makes a lot of sense and explains a lot when you think about it. Since Everest, we've had TSMM and and soon LM, thanks only to the drastic measures needed at DCA. While we would argue that AK deserves the same attention, the attendance figures simply don't support that.

I guess the closest thing AK got to a clone would be Dinosaur, but obviously there was still a lot of money needed to alter the theme from Indiana Jones.

I know it would cause capacity issues and ruin vacations, but the right thing to do at this point is to shut the thing down, even just for a couple of weeks to do general maintenance and get a better look at the problem. I know this isn't a ride safety issue but it starts to concern me when a coaster is run nonstop like Everest without even general upkeep. Do they expect it to run like this forever?

Alektronic

They will never,never shut down an operating ride just to fix a show item. That is a thing of the past, they used to it routinely, but now it is keeping the ride running not matter what. It is all about guest counts, how many guests you can fit in a hour. Attraction Operations even have contests on how many guests they can cram in a hour. So just hope they can try some fixes to repair it at night, but it hasn't worked yet.

misterID

They'll have to shut it down. They do shut down rides for maintenance. The problem here is that AK has so few attractions to make up for its closing that it would hurt the park. When they shut down Splash Mountain they're able to get by with it because there's a lot in MK to pick up the slack. Not in AK.

Eventually the yeti will be fixed.

RSoxNo1

This makes a lot of sense and explains a lot when you think about it. Since Everest, we've had TSMM and and soon LM, thanks only to the drastic measures needed at DCA. While we would argue that AK deserves the same attention, the attendance figures simply don't support that.

I guess the closest thing AK got to a clone would be Dinosaur, but obviously there was still a lot of money needed to alter the theme from Indiana Jones.

I know it would cause capacity issues and ruin vacations, but the right thing to do at this point is to shut the thing down, even just for a couple of weeks to do general maintenance and get a better look at the problem. I know this isn't a ride safety issue but it starts to concern me when a coaster is run nonstop like Everest without even general upkeep. Do they expect it to run like this forever?

Well saying that Dinosaur and Indiana Jones are the same attraction is like saying Test Track, Journey to the Center of the Earth and Radiator Springs Racers or that Rock n' Roller Coaster and Expedition Everest are the same.

They use the same ride system, but it's the theming that makes things different.

They will never,never shut down an operating ride just to fix a show item. That is a thing of the past, they used to it routinely, but now it is keeping the ride running not matter what. It is all about guest counts, how many guests you can fit in a hour. Attraction Operations even have contests on how many guests they can cram in a hour. So just hope they can try some fixes to repair it at night, but it hasn't worked yet.

Sadly this is becoming more and more the case, but at the same time has there ever been a situation where a major show element is broken to the point where a major shutdown of the ride is necessary to repair it?

On this week's episode of my show we interviewed Jason Garcia (the author of this Orlando Sentinel article). After the 23 minute interview we continue the discussion about Disney World maintenance, and shed some of our ideas on what's being discussed in this thread. You can listen here:
WDW Fan Boys Episode 035 - Disco Yeti

Alektronic

They'll have to shut it down. They do shut down rides for maintenance. The problem here is that AK has so few attractions to make up for its closing that it would hurt the park. When they shut down Splash Mountain they're able to get by with it because there's a lot in MK to pick up the slack. Not in AK.

Eventually the yeti will be fixed.

They shut down rides when they have ride problems and then fix them, but they don't shut down rides because of a show problem. Look at Dinosaur, they do it all the time, they just turn off the AA figure, lighting. lasers, etc. and either fix them or just leave them off. That doesn't affect the ridership counts.

Lee

Adventurer
Blatant Keys to the Kingdom failure.
Show is supposed to come before efficiency...but we all know the current administration loves to disregard that.

CaptainWinter

On this week's episode of my show we interviewed Jason Garcia (the author of this Orlando Sentinel article). After the 23 minute interview we continue the discussion about Disney World maintenance, and shed some of our ideas on what's being discussed in this thread. You can listen here:
WDW Fan Boys Episode 035 - Disco Yeti

Good show today. I think you're probably right, that they can't justify losing half a million guests to repair the Yeti. But don't just count the half a million you outright lose -- count the other millions who complain bitterly that AK's flagship attraction was closed, spread bad word-of-mouth and feel they were gypped.

But of course they should bite the bullet and fix it because they're DISNEY WORLD. Sheesh.

RSoxNo1

Good show today. I think you're probably right, that they can't justify losing half a million guests to repair the Yeti. But don't just count the half a million you outright lose -- count the other millions who complain bitterly that AK's flagship attraction was closed, spread bad word-of-mouth and feel they were gypped.

But of course they should bite the bullet and fix it because they're DISNEY WORLD. Sheesh.

Thanks for the kind words.

Frankly there should be one more major attraction and one more minor attraction in the park by this time in order to absorb the Everest downtime. When the park was built, it was under-developed and it has had a D/E ticket addition in Kali River Rapids (that was supposed to be part of the park at opening), then Artificial Capacity Land (a B and C ticket in Dinorama) and Everest in 2006. Something should have been set to open in 2010 or 2011 in that park, and that would have allowed them to close Everest for the necessary repairs. Sadly it looks like nothing major will be coming to the park for at least 3 years (considering that if they announced something tomorrow it typically takes 2-3 years for a major attraction to be built).

CaptainWinter

Frankly there should be one more major attraction and one more minor attraction in the park by this time in order to absorb the Everest downtime. When the park was built, it was under-developed and it has had a D/E ticket addition in Kali River Rapids (that was supposed to be part of the park at opening), then Artificial Capacity Land (a B and C ticket in Dinorama) and Everest in 2006. Something should have been set to open in 2010 or 2011 in that park, and that would have allowed them to close Everest for the necessary repairs. Sadly it looks like nothing major will be coming to the park for at least 3 years (considering that if they announced something tomorrow it typically takes 2-3 years for a major attraction to be built).

Should be, yes, but isn't. The longer the Yeti sits there broken, the more it becomes an emblem of a failing regime. Walt would *never* have stood for this, never ever. Heads would be rolling right and left.

They should just shut Everest down during low season and deal with the consequences. Maybe let everyone "hop" from AK whether they've got hopper tickets or not. It's still an absolutely kick-a$$ animal show for anyone interested in wildlife and they shouldn't apologize for it.

Pepper's Ghost

I apologize in advance if I am restating something someone else said, but I haven't had the time to read all 7 million responses. :) I was just curious if anyone watched the Youtube video that is embedded in the article. I watched it again to give me a small WDW fix since it's been over a year since I've been there, but I noticed something funny. We all know that they're having issues with the animatronic Yeti, but in the video when the shadow Yeti is ripping apart the train tracks, a little Windows window pops up on in the wall. :p It just made me laugh because not only is the animatronic Yeti not working, but the projected one has a Windows icon pop up during the video which kind of ruins trying to get lost in the show and actually believing that there's a Yeti ripping up the tracks. :lookaroun :lol: People on the ride even seem to laugh in sync with it popping up. :lol:

Here's a link if you want to see it. It happens at 1:55 of the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK-oCLYNfB4

Magenta Panther

I'm thrilled that article has appeared. The Yeti is a disgrace, and the Everest ride a joke. Maybe some bad publicity will convince the suits to fix the darn thing. Uncle Walt would have a FIT over this mess. Here I got all excited about those new rooms, and then I read that article and remember that the last 3 times I rode EE I never even saw "disco Yeti". Just maybe some red eyes or something. What a letdown.

lebeau

I'm not sure we would see the effects of this article in 96 hours, if it had any effect.

I would say that it had an impact if we see something happening within the next 6 months.

Did anyone ever get the Save WDW website going?

If not, we need to. I'm no webmaster. But if someone doesn't start a grass roots movement soon, I'm going to start putting it together myself.

Who's with me? :lookaroun

Magenta Panther

Did anyone ever get the Save WDW website going?

If not, we need to. I'm no webmaster. But if someone doesn't start a grass roots movement soon, I'm going to start putting it together myself.

Who's with me? :lookaroun

I'm with you. I signed onto Save Disney and I think that movement accomplished a lot. Helped get rid of Eisner, for one thing.

mclancey

Why it's not working.

I didn't read through every post, so I don't know if someone mentioned it, but it seems some people think the Yeti itself is broken and that's not the case.

Taken From: The World according to Jack on allears.net

"I mentioned earlier that the yeti stands on his own foundation. In addition to this, the track and mountains also stand on their own, separate foundations and do not touch one another. The designers endeavored to put six inches of space between the track and the mountain. This was necessary to insure that the vibration of the trains rumbling through the mountain and the swaying of the track did not shake, crack, and damage the mountain’s structure. Unfortunately, the yeti’s intense movement proved to be too much for its foundation and it cracked sometime ago. Because of this, the yeti has been switched from Mode “A” operation (movement) to Mode “B” operation (stationary with strobe lights and fans). It’s my understanding that the damage is great enough that repairs will need to wait until the attraction is closed for rehab."

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I didn't read through every post, so I don't know if someone mentioned it, but it seems some people think the Yeti itself is broken and that's not the case.

Taken From: The World according to Jack on allears.net

"I mentioned earlier that the yeti stands on his own foundation. In addition to this, the track and mountains also stand on their own, separate foundations and do not touch one another. The designers endeavored to put six inches of space between the track and the mountain. This was necessary to insure that the vibration of the trains rumbling through the mountain and the swaying of the track did not shake, crack, and damage the mountain’s structure. Unfortunately, the yeti’s intense movement proved to be too much for its foundation and it cracked sometime ago. Because of this, the yeti has been switched from Mode “A” operation (movement) to Mode “B” operation (stationary with strobe lights and fans). It’s my understanding that the damage is great enough that repairs will need to wait until the attraction is closed for rehab."

Sounds to me like the effect is broken. Foundation/Yeti...it's all semantics.

Biff215

I wouldn't be surprised if the foundation is the problem, but broken foundation = broken yeti as far as I'm concerned. Guess all that 747 force wasn't such a good idea...

stitch2008

You know I've been thinking about the Everest situation. And I think I may have an idea as to what WDI is up to. Remember that "screen" that was put in front of the Yeti a while back? I remember seeing a picture of it on this site. Perhaps the screen could be projected on. So when the screen was up for the short period of time that it was, they were mearly getting measurements. Like any adjustments that had to be made to the screen size and figuring where a projector would be placed and how a projector would look on the screen.

Maybe WDI is making a "Temporary" CGI verison of the Yeti to be projected on the screen while they fix the yeti. I remember Lee mentioned once that he could be taken out from the back of the mountain, piece by piece. So the CGI verison could run until needed repairs are completed. That way, EE doesnt have to shut down, Yeti gets repaired, and we get to see a yeti at the end of the ride without the strobes.

I know it may be wishful thinking on my part. But I think its a plan that could work.:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom