Sentinel writes article on broken yeti!

RSoxNo1

I should clarify. From a downtime standpoint, if there was something mechanical wrong with the yeti that would be an easier fix than a repair to the structure/foundation.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The thing is, the problem is NOT going to fix itself. They are only postponing the inevitable. Just GET IT OVER WITH.

Captain Chaos

Did anyone ever get the Save WDW website going?

If not, we need to. I'm no webmaster. But if someone doesn't start a grass roots movement soon, I'm going to start putting it together myself.

Who's with me? :lookaroun

I'm with you. I signed onto Save Disney and I think that movement accomplished a lot. Helped get rid of Eisner, for one thing.

Take a deep breath.... Now relax.... Things will be started before you can say Supercalifragil... oh never mind.. Hakuna Matata!!!!

Trust me... shhhh :)

NoChesterHester

Wow... foundation. That makes perfect sense why it hasn't been fixed.

I dealt with a foundation problem before on newly installed engineered concrete. So many things can go wrong, for example in our case it was hot and they added just a little too much water to compensate. Before the brick was on the building cracks had already started to appear.

The contractor had to bring in a specialized company to jack the building up off a temporary foundation while they demolished and installed the new one. It took a month and a half, and this was a small part of a one story unoccupied site, not a 20 story roller coaster inside a theme park.

Disco Yeti

How's this?

Did anyone ever get the Save WDW website going?

If not, we need to. I'm no webmaster. But if someone doesn't start a grass roots movement soon, I'm going to start putting it together myself.

Who's with me? :lookaroun

Well, it's not called "Save WDW," but I've just launched a website to track all the things that are broken at WDW... and to write some humorous blogs to have some fun and get the attention of management.

It's called DiscoYeti.com. Check it out and let me know what you think.

I've been a longtime fan of WDWmagic. Now you guys have motivated me to get something done.

Magenta Panther

Well, it's not called "Save WDW," but I've just launched a website to track all the things that are broken at WDW... and to write some humorous blogs to have some fun and get the attention of management.

I've been a longtime fan of WDWmagic. Now you guys have motivated me to get something done.

I just visited and it's AWESOME. And hilarious! I've bookmarked your page and I'll be a regular visitor. Good work!

Brilliant! Count me a regular visitor.

Brian Noble

This has been out there for a while since the Travel Agent site had March hours, but there was a chance it was a typo. But now the public calendar has the same schedule: rather than one AM and one PM session each week at AK, they have switched to two AM sessions.

I can think of a couple of different reasons why that might be so. One could be that the park doesn't draw well enough for the PM session to bother keeping it open. Another reason...well, if you have a park with two headliners, and one can't operate after dusk, and the *other* one might not be operating at all, well....maybe that's a reason.

Just speculating here. I have no information at all. But, it is curious

djkidkaz

I don't want to get my hopes up, but I just have to trust Disney will do the right thing with Everest and fix it completely in the near future. They can close the whole ride during my trip, I don't care, as long as its getting the work done so that it can be 100% on my future trips I'll be happy.

Mansion Butler

They will never,never shut down an operating ride just to fix a show item. That is a thing of the past, they used to it routinely, but now it is keeping the ride running not matter what. It is all about guest counts, how many guests you can fit in a hour. Attraction Operations even have contests on how many guests they can cram in a hour. So just hope they can try some fixes to repair it at night, but it hasn't worked yet.
I work for an attraction that has been shut down for show items many times. And it was refurbished when, really, there was no need (I'm sure we here may think there was a need, but it was still pulling in the guests) just to update the show.

They'd do it, the problem is how important it is for the park, not that shutting down for show maintenance is a thing of the past.

RSoxNo1

An update on this. No news on the Yeti (it's still broken), but we did see the Bird on a stick twice today. However the timing seems to be arbitrary. I don't think it's synced with when the vehicle shows up there.

We also only saw the one waterfall working (the one where you can get a bit of residual spray on the break run before unload). I'm not even sure where the other one is.

When we had this discussion on our show with Jason Garcia we estimated that the drop in attendance from not having Expedition Everest open could result in $30-50 million over the course of a 6 month refurb. This was based on the crowd numbers before and after Everest was added to the park, but I truly believe that they feel that they simply can't afford to close it for the necessary repairs.

Magenta Panther

I work for an attraction that has been shut down for show items many times. And it was refurbished when, really, there was no need (I'm sure we here may think there was a need, but it was still pulling in the guests) just to update the show.

They'd do it, the problem is how important it is for the park, not that shutting down for show maintenance is a thing of the past.

But in this case, the broken attraction is generating a lot of bad publicity for the park. It's an embarrassment, really, and stands in stark contrast to the painstaking care and detail evident in the Potter ride at Universal. It kind of besmirches the Disney name and reputation. I would hope that those things would seem important and motivate the money boys to do something about the Yeti.

I, as a Disneyphile, will never let them hear the end of it if they do nothing!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom