Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

G00fyDad

Guest Relations will be stationed at park entrancea collecting selfie sticks from Guests to pick up when they are ready to leave similar to how they stop balloons at Animal Kingdom or wagons. Most Cast will be trained on it, not just attractions. Goes live in July.

Wouldn't Disney haven't made some sort of public announcement about this by now to discourage people from even bringing them with them on their trip?

NowInc

Wouldn't Disney haven't made some sort of public announcement about this by now to discourage people from even bringing them with them on their trip?

They didn't make one in advance of them banning them on rides...

I said a few weeks ago that this would be gradual...rides..soft enforcement (next week-ish with signs posted..with them stopping them at the gates) and then strict (july-aug) no exceptions even if you sneak it past the initial check points.

As far as I know, thats still the plan. I just think they should have started a week sooner as we are already in South American tourist season and they love their selfie sticks.

G00fyDad

Here's to hoping you're right. ;)
6C7911377-tdy-130617-leo-toasts-1.jpg

erasure fan1

However, like smoking ultimately the people who try using them in the parks will be the exception and will stand out and it will become uncomfortable to use them and unacceptable.
Well if they enforce it like smoking then I guess we will see them all the time. In front of splash a lady was smoking 15ft or so away from the FP entrance. 3 cast members, not one word. Its not like everyone was smoking anywhere they wanted but there sure as heck was a lot smoking outside of the designated areas.

ssidiouss@mac.c

What about something like a 6 inch GoPro stabilizing grip.. i use the grenade grip.. its 6 inches long so the basically my camera sits ontop of my fist.. is that considered a selfie stick because its a 6inch pole with a camera on top.. or does that count as just a grip since its basically invisible with my hand closed around it.

Is there a place where disney defines the selfie stick?

iu

note2001

Well if they enforce it like smoking then I guess we will see them all the time. In front of splash a lady was smoking 15ft or so away from the FP entrance. 3 cast members, not one word. Its not like everyone was smoking anywhere they wanted but there sure as heck was a lot smoking outside of the designated areas.

The cast members will handle the situation if it's pointed out to them. Some just avoid the confrontation, others won't see further than 3 feet in front of them.

What about something like a 6 inch GoPro stabilizing grip.. i use the grenade grip.. its 6 inches long so the basically my camera sits ontop of my fist.. is that considered a selfie stick because its a 6inch pole with a camera on top.. or does that count as just a grip since its basically invisible with my hand closed around it.

Is there a place where disney defines the selfie stick?

Seems to me that since your camera is still at arm's length the grip should be fine. It's just the ones that stick out beyond one's reach that are the trouble. You're right, we need Disney to supply a definition here.

Sonconato

I've had this same experience frequently. Told a Cast Member about a couple that was smoking by the restrooms behind Gaston's Tavern and he said okay and turned around and walked the opposite direction.

hanwill

My Dad had a grip almost exactly that same size and they constantly told him that he could not have it out on every ride...This happened in late May....

Pirate665

I've had this same experience frequently. Told a Cast Member about a couple that was smoking by the restrooms behind Gaston's Tavern and he said okay and turned around and walked the opposite direction.
Welcome to the new age of CMs...

"They don't pay me enough to care..."

I started at 5.75 and I gave a care!

I also walked to work. In the snow. Uphill. Both ways!

G00fyDad

Anytime I have told a CM about a smoker they ignore it. If I am in line I forget about getting a CM and I tell the person directly to put it out immediately. Thankfully it does not happen all the time. I want to go get some of the "fart in a can" they sell at Spencer's and spray it in someone's face when they smoke in non-smoking areas.

brb1006

I'd be willing to be that if that idiot dropped the stick he would stand up, climb onto the attraction to get the stick, and then get back into the boat.
That would be very embarassing, especially since there might be some Security Camera in that attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom