Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

AndyS2992

Those are two entirely different types of guests. WDW guests are not known for following the rules.

Also, how do you enforce it?
I personally find guests at Disneyland Paris to very badly behaved to those at WDW. At DLP, people smoke where ever they want, the concept of queueing is completely alien, people climbing over everything, lots of loud people using bad language and the one thing that is rare at WDW but everywhere at DLP is graffiti, almost every line was covered in it. Not saying these things don't happen at WDW but I personally haven't seen it myself, except queue jumpers, who are almost always of a particular race.

How do you enforce it? Yes it will be tricky but just don't allow them in and either tell people to keep them in their bags and if seen using them they will get some form of punishment or make guests turn them in at guest services to be picked up later. It will be hard at first but once the news spreads that they are banned people will stop bringing them. But then again, weapons are strictly prohibited but people still sneak those in which are should be far more of a concern to security than selfie sticks but that is a completely different argument which we should not get in to.

But I agree, it will be very difficult, at least at first, but not impossible to ban them outright.

note2001

I can see Disney posting no Selfie sticks at bag check: it takes the responsibility off of them if anyone gets hurt in the park from one being swung around, all they have to to is point to the signs and say "Not our fault, they're banned. This person hid it from security"

If they really want to make the park safe however, they will confiscate the selfie sticks as they see them and dispose of them, which may mean trash, or could mean they get filed off to the lost and found outside of the park.

PhotoDave219

I can see Disney posting no Selfie sticks at bag check: it takes the responsibility off of them if anyone gets hurt in the park from one being swung around, all they have to to is point to the signs and say "Not our fault, they're banned. This person hid it from security"

If they really want to make the park safe however, they will confiscate the selfie sticks as they see them and dispose of them, which may mean trash, or could mean they get filed off to the lost and found outside of the park.

You and I both know that we cAn get just about anything we want in the parks, if we try hard enough.

NowInc

They would still be liable regardless (actually even more so seeing how they are "banned" and missed it getting into the park).

The plan is to basically ban them which in itself SHOULD discourage many as the "threat" of it being enforced will be enough to cut down on its usage. In reality, those who are the worst offenders without care of others around them are the ones who will be ignoring the signs. The big difference, however, will be the ABILITY to enforce it. A CM can go and ask a guest to put it in a locker (If the CM actually does so is going to be the interesting part of the whole matter).

note2001

You and I both know that we cAn get just about anything we want in the parks, if we try hard enough.
Exactly why they need to be pro-active about taking these things away from the narcissist pre-teens and those who act like them.

Short of a full police search and airport security scanners at the entrances, there will be no way to stop anything from entering the park. WDW security checkpoints are more of a reminder that there is a security presence in the park than much of anything else. I do believe they stop the drunkards from entering though. ;)

Last edited:

NowInc

Its not like they are being used dangerously in high traffic areas or anything...like say..the hub?

6VVZInx.jpg

This next few I call "Dueling selfies"...

9USccOH.jpg

3OP4Rxz.jpg

But wait...surely all of the above had NO CHOICE because there was no Photopass CM around..or if there was..they were too busy with long lines to take their picture..right!?

right.

8rH9sfU.jpg

How about Epcot?

This wonderful individual was not only walking FAST with his stick extended, but filming a singing vlog at the same time while guests were dodging his brisk path with no care of who he may run over in his quest to fulfill his personal video needs..

WARIp0W.jpg

But yeah..that ones out in the open. No one would DARE use one inside of a tight indoor pavilion near a high traffic ride entrance..right?

CHwHUsr.jpg

Oh..but shes by herself with only a friend or two you say?

Well..I'm sure her tour guide and the 10 other people she was with would have been more than happy to take her pic without her knocking over merchandice in the booth next to where she was standing (which she did)

8msFNuK.jpg

Added bonus on that one because there are actually FIVE different selfie sticks in it :)

YodaMan

Negative. Only on certain rides, not park wide. That is what the pending change is about.

I don't work at MK so I don't know their policies, but multiple times in the past few days I saw CMs tell guests to stow their selfie sticks even when they weren't on rides. Don't know if they just misinterpreted the old rule about not using them in rides.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Its not like they are being used dangerously in high traffic areas or anything...like say..the hub?

6VVZInx.jpg

9USccOH.jpg

3OP4Rxz.jpg

But wait...surely all of the above had NO CHOICE because there was no Photopass CM around..or if there was..they were too busy with long lines to take their picture..right!?

right.

8rH9sfU.jpg

How about Epcot?

This wonderful individual was not only walking FAST with his stick extended, but filming a singing vlog at the same time while guests were dodging his brisk path with no care of who he may run over in his quest to fulfill his personal video needs..

WARIp0W.jpg

But yeah..that ones out in the open. No one would DARE use one inside of a tight indoor pavilion near a high traffic ride entrance..right?

CHwHUsr.jpg

Well..I'm sure her tour guide and the 10 other people she was with would have been more than happy to take her pic without her knocking over merchandice in the booth next to where she was standing (which she did)

8msFNuK.jpg

Added bonus on that one because there are actually FIVE different selfie sticks in it :)
Sure. Use one.......well two.......well seven minor occurrences to prove a point. Really? ( note there is sarcasm intended).

mouse_luv

6VVZInx.jpg

9USccOH.jpg

3OP4Rxz.jpg

right.

8rH9sfU.jpg

How about Epcot?

WARIp0W.jpg

CHwHUsr.jpg

8msFNuK.jpg

THIS THIS THIS!! I was there last week and wanted to break every single one I saw. They have NO consideration whatsoever with where they are using them and flinging them around. They almost hit my DN(dear nephew 10) about 5 times with it in the same queue. I finally pointed to the no selfie sticks sign in the BTMRR queue and told them to put it away or I would put it away for them forever.

NowInc

The biggest issue is that they have waited too long. The american media will pick it up once it happens, but sadly its the south american tourist season and their convenient selective understanding of english that will be the crutch of this whole thing. What they NEED to do is inform their tour guides that their use will not be tolerated, and any violation one of their customers has will reflect on their ability to do future business in the parks. You'll be amazed how fast that'll stop the issue..because sadly the tour managers are enablers of bad behavior all around (look at my images above..did you notice that DSLR on the floor? That was because they were BLOCKING the entire area of Mexico so they could take a low angle picture)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom