Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

Polydweller

Well then, clearly its an issue. Clearly they need to go away.

Now... how the hell do you enforce it?
Do you know of any law that is 100% adhered to by everyone? No. But what laws, regulations, rules etc do is set expectations. By setting the expectation, the largest proportion of people will stop bringing the sticks to the parks. And by setting the rule it then enables security to stop people from bringing them in and to allow managers and CMs to direct people to stop using them and potentially leave the park. The net effect will be a reduction in the use and number which is the realistic goal.

But, just like seat belt laws, speed limits well any law/regulation/rule there will be violators, there will be people who try to get around the rules and 100% compliance won't happen and is an unrealistic expectation. However, like smoking ultimately the people who try using them in the parks will be the exception and will stand out and it will become uncomfortable to use them and unacceptable. That sort of social pressure is the real enforcement that comes of setting a rule/regulation.

PhotoDave219

Do you know of any law that is 100% adhered to by everyone? No. But what laws, regulations, rules etc do is set expectations. By setting the expectation, the largest proportion of people will stop bringing the sticks to the parks. And by setting the rule it then enables security to stop people from bringing them in and to allow managers and CMs to direct people to stop using them and potentially leave the park. The net effect will be a reduction in the use and number which is the realistic goal.

But, just like seat belt laws, speed limits well any law/regulation/rule there will be violators, there will be people who try to get around the rules and 100% compliance won't happen and is an unrealistic expectation. However, like smoking ultimately the people who try using them in the parks will be the exception and will stand out and it will become uncomfortable to use them and unacceptable. That sort of social pressure is the real enforcement that comes of setting a rule/regulation.

You know you lost me with your first sentence…

Sonconato

Well then, clearly its an issue. Clearly they need to go away.

Now... how the hell do you enforce it?

Just like they do the stroller parking:
Stroller Parking.JPG

This is in front of Peter Pan's FastPass line in which you only had about 3 feet of space to squeeze by. Make note of the sign beyond. And oh…half of these belong to 10 year olds or older.

Also…it's how they enforce monorail stroller rules:
stroller folding.JPG

This is straight off of Disney World's Monorail Transportation page. Rarely see this followed.

With that said…They DON'T enforce it. I have to agree with @PhotoDave219. I think it's to cover themselves in case something does happen.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Just like they do the stroller parking:
View attachment 98307

This is in front of Peter Pan's FastPass line in which you only had about 3 feet of space to squeeze by. Make note of the sign beyond. And oh…half of these belong to 10 year olds or older.

Also…it's how they enforce monorail stroller rules:
View attachment 98308

This is straight off of Disney World's Monorail Transportation page. Rarely see this followed.

With that said…They DON'T enforce it. I have to agree with @PhotoDave219. I think it's to cover themselves in case something does happen.

I'm just amazed how trusting some people are. Those look like merchandise bags hanging on that one stroller. And I see the discarded cups and bottles, too. Sheesh, people. There are trash cans every 50 feet or so. Burn a few calories and walk the cup that held 50 ounces of Coke to the nearest trash can.

AEfx

There's no way they can enforce that. NONE.

They better find a way.

It's only a matter of time before the danger of getting smacked as someone walks by turns into a danger on a ride if people are really so stupid as to use them there.

Imagine someone on BTM, they drop it, it lands on a track...the next car would hopefully plow right through it - but it could also derail the train causing a big issue at the least...and I certainly don't even want to put words to what the worst would be.

If you think around the parks, there is just too many possibilities for that - or injuring someone as it flies by, etc. It's endless.

People that stick foreign objects out of rides like that should be ejected for the day, at least.

Sonconato

I'm just amazed how trusting some people are. Those look like merchandise bags hanging on that one stroller. And I see the discarded cups and bottles, too. Sheesh, people. There are trash cans every 50 feet or so. Burn a few calories and walk the cup that held 50 ounces of Coke to the nearest trash can.
I agree. You have no idea how many times I see this...all over the Parks! I feel bad for the Cast Members.

LAKid53

Premium Member
They better find a way.

It's only a matter of time before the danger of getting smacked as someone walks by turns into a danger on a ride if people are really so stupid as to use them there.

Imagine someone on BTM, they drop it, it lands on a track...the next car would hopefully plow right through it - but it could also derail the train causing a big issue at the least...and I certainly don't even want to put words to what the worst would be.

If you think around the parks, there is just too many possibilities for that - or injuring someone as it flies by, etc. It's endless.

People that stick foreign objects out of rides like that should be ejected for the day, at least.

Well, since this sign is now at the entrance to the BTM building, Disney can and should (and I believe does) enforce the ban.

selfie-sticks.jpg

LAKid53

Premium Member
Disney's selfie stick ban even made Bill Maher's New Rules (June 12, 2015 show). I'd post the link, but the Youtube video editor I was trying to do wasn't working - some people on this thread might be offended by some of Mr. Maher's comments. If you want to see the portion on the Disney ban on selfies, it starts at the :52 mark.

note2001

Oh No! What will all those South American teens on their right-of-passage trips to Disney World do with their selfie sticks now?

At least the POP and All Star Bus stops still permit them. (And the pools too.) Be on the lookout at the end of the day for selfie stick wars to commence at the bus stops.

Last edited:

NowInc

Cast Members now have updates on their learning plans for a change to park-wide rules that go into effect on June 30. Wouldn't be surprised if this is in fact becoming a reality.

Initial rule enforcement is slated to start tomorrow actually, but I wouldn't be surprised if its not in full force until the 30th (with signage....that is already created ;) )

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom