Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

Todd H

not all the population. Can you imagine when the drone population reaches 50% of the human population? XD

Ants2.gif

I for one welcome our new drone overlords.

Bairstow

Will it? How are you going to get it into the park? Can't hide it in a bag. I guess you could stuff it down your pants or shirt but again you would probably be singled out by security. It's not to farfetched in the near future to have a follow-drone the size of a Hubsan X4.

Easy. It's a quadrotor; Have it fly itself in over the bag check.
Just put the tracker unit in your pocket, stroll right through, and see how long it takes them to realize whom it's following.
For additional giggles, do so during fireworks time.

Arthur Wellesley

Selfie sticks are old and busted.
Behold: the new hotness:

Can't wait for someone to toss one of these things right at the start of Big Thunder just for the mayhem it would cause.

Oh great. Now they're encouraging idiots to throw these into rivers while kayaking. :rolleyes: It'll get to a point where you can't even enjoy the outdoors anymore without stupid people flying gadgets everywhere. At where I like to go kayaking/canoeing the most, that thing would last under a minute in the water before getting devoured (good riddance), but also harming the wildlife mistaking it for food (not good).
Whatever happened to simply enjoying the moment or experience without having to film yourself from every different height & angle? Nothing dignifying about any of this.

Last edited:

note2001

First one to bonk me in the head becomes an iPhone frisbee.
While this sort of response is funny to read (you are not alone in posting such a response) I hope if a selfie stick does come into contact with anyone reading this thread they take the calm approach to diffuse the situation. Swift adrenalin fueled responses such as breaking or tossing the stick/phone only lead to further conflict and possible harm.

Maelstrom Troll

This past trip, I brought my GoPro with a small folding tripod (~18" fully open) and it turned out to be really useful. I used it to record parades, the Osbourne lights, and a few rides. Never did I extend it out over the rides or above my head. Would a mini tripod like this be "illegal" or is it just the 4 foot+ telescopic metal poles? Btw, number of selfies taken = zero.

SoupBone

This past trip, I brought my GoPro with a small folding tripod (~18" fully open) and it turned out to be really useful. I used it to record parades, the Osbourne lights, and a few rides. Never did I extend it out over the rides or above my head. Would a mini tripod like this be "illegal" or is it just the 4 foot+ telescopic metal poles? Btw, number of selfies taken = zero.

That's the thing, anything that takes away from my experience in a significant way, like metal rods hoisted over people's heads, need to be banned or at least severely limited. The potential for abuse is high, so if they let normal people like you use them, the inconsiderate idiots will pitch a fit.

NowInc

Them mini tripods are more than ok (and personally I encourage them). They TYPICALLY aren't used without concern of those around them,. and almost NEVER on a ride. Nothing wrong with using one to get better footage, of course assuming its used correctly.

G00fyDad

While this sort of response is funny to read (you are not alone in posting such a response) I hope if a selfie stick does come into contact with anyone reading this thread they take the calm approach to diffuse the situation. Swift adrenalin fueled responses such as breaking or tossing the stick/phone only lead to further conflict and possible harm.

Yes. It does. Poor selfie stick user. :(

G00fyDad

Put the signs at the entrance to the parks and leave it at that. If they get caught with a stick in the parks then it should be confiscated and not given back.

Cesar R M

So glad I cant ride rollercoasters anymore. Won't risk dying from someone's iPhone because they needed that selfie on BTMRR.
You still can get hit by NOT riding them.. just sayin' (like that man who almost got hit square by a heavy iphone 6 in Uni if I remember correctly)

Itakes my blood boil that those signs even have to exist. The more signs they have to put in the parks = less of a disconnect from the real world.
The problem is.. the stupidity of the people in the real world, follow them everywhere.. that includes in the magical world of disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom