Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

betty rose

Tonight I witnessed my first selfie-stick casualty.

We were at a high-end Asian fusion restaurant with friends and they seated us upstairs in a semi-private area overlooking the first floor.

The only other table up there with us was long and it seated 12 loud hipsters, who were waving an abnoxiously long-dong-schlong of a selfie stick. :cautious:

From 7-10pm they waved that thing around taking pictures of maki as it hung out of their mouths. :bored:

It took every fiber of my being for me to not walk over and beat them endlessly with it. :mad:

Finally, as a waitress walked over to bring them another large platter of maki rolls --- SMACK! :hungover:

They whacked her in the head and food went everywhere. :arghh:

My husband then went downstairs to the bar and ordered them a round of kiddie cocktails (yes, the actual virgin kiddie cocktails). :angelic:

Management came up with the drinks and said another patron sent them up who wished to remain anonymous, and then told them they had to put the stick away or leave. o_O

They settled up and left, and then the staff brought us complimentary dessert for us putting up with the morons and they said they got a kick out of the kiddie cocktail round we sent over. :happy:
Very creative of your husband.

betty rose

Has anyone thought that maybe Disney is more interested in their investments as in rides, than the safety of their guests? Yes, by all means protect an inanimate ride, the heck with the guests just walking around the parks, minding their own business. Seems very short sighted to me.

Tigger1988

Has anyone thought that maybe Disney is more interested in their investments as in rides, than the safety of their guests? Yes, by all means protect an inanimate ride, the heck with the guests just walking around the parks, minding their own business. Seems very short sighted to me.
No, that seems like a big jump to make.

note2001

And also much more grown up than the promised violence that seems to be prevalent on this thread.
I'm one to turn to a CM to ask for help usually, but as you have pointed out that ItlngrlBella's husband's response is superior to those who have posted here (and I think I've only read one or two folk who've said they'd respond physically, so it's not prevalent to the thread)...

There is a huge difference between the situation she and her husband were in and ability to corner the offensive party and offer up an embarrassment (bravo, btw, it is a funny story), verses someone on Main Street USA, MK who has or witnesses someone being smacked in the face and then laughed at. In the MK, 99% of the time, the offender will be on their way faster than a bird can take flight, and there is a required need to take immediate action in this case, if any action is to be taken at all. There is no time for an embarrassing set up...

I'll go one step further to say in my personal opinion, embarrassing someone in public is not "grown up" at all. We don't need to argue this point... it's my opinion.

Last edited:

mouse_luv

I'm just going to leave this here :hilarious:

11191494_887902314608150_237087047_n.jpg

Last edited:

JasonDeyoung

I just spent the past week at WDW and honestly I only saw maybe 10 the entire week and the ppl weren't walking with them they just used them when taking pics. I still hate them and think they'll be an issue once tour groups come to town. Think most were being used during parades from what I noticed.

note2001

I just spent the past week at WDW and honestly I only saw maybe 10 the entire week and the ppl weren't walking with them they just used them when taking pics. I still hate them and think they'll be an issue once tour groups come to town. Think most were being used during parades from what I noticed.

This is good.

Anyone know when tour group season starts? Maybe wdwmagic's steve can give out an award for the most ridiculous shot taken of a selfie stick in use in a Disney park or on transportation. :D

Do we need a photo hunting license to take shots of the migratory tour group creatures? I assume the season starts the first week of June. Pulling out my camera... making sure it's all set. I'll be there in July, although, even with their bright plumage and waving flag, it might be hard to find them in the crowd unless they do their ritualistic chants or start waving their sticks in the air.

Last edited:

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Currently at WDW and I have to say the whole selfie stick thing is a non-thing.seen a handfull of people using them with various devices but only one mis-use (on pirates ) which resulted in cast members having a word with the offending family at the ride offload . much more of a problem is Moble phones :mad:
eeveryone seems to be on them at every given opportunity updating and posting pics ( lit up screens are as annoying as flash photos on dark rides)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom