Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

Matt_Black

Also no idea what these stunts has to do vs the selfie debate. :hilarious:

Old timey people didn't give a HOOT about taking up to much space. You think the personal scooters are bad? Just look at the turn of the century equivalent...

Penny-Fathing-2.jpg

seahawk7

You mean like now guys do the "spiderman" on skyscrapers, or try to walk between them via a tight metal cable?
Crazy people and stunts will always be there.
The circus was created to show these stunts.

Also no idea what these stunts has to do vs the selfie debate. :hilarious:
Maybe that pole that guy is balancing on is a selfie stick. That or he met Vlad the Impaler.

raymusiccity

For the same reason many other items are - some are just not compatible with a crowded, shared, chaotic environment like a Disney theme park.

It is simply not a good idea to have folks using a metal extension rod attached to an electronic device in such quarters. You don't want folks dangling their electronic devices over waterways, or ride paths, or any number of other places folks were not meant to reach - and then when they drop it or lose their phone/etc. they will cry holy heck if Disney doesn't have a scuba team on the ready get it back. It's not just about "hitting people".

And that's not even talking about intentional abuse - folks who use them to look under dresses, or in bathroom stalls, or even just to take video of off-stage areas that should not be for public view.

There are dozens of good reasons it just isn't something appropriate to the environment. And yes, folks taking up big swaths of space and/or accidentally (or intentionally) hitting other folks is a concern, but just one part of it. And there really is not one good reason to allow them to be used. There are people everywhere that will take your picture for you, heck, Disney PAYS people to stand there and do it, in addition to anyone you may meet with a Disney nametag who is happy to do it, or tons of friendly non-Disney folks, as well.

If there is one place you do NOT need a selfie stick, it is WDW.

Agree wholeheartedly !

image.jpg

G00fyDad

At the risk of sounding faux-intellectual, the one bright spot to this new low-point in culture is that it's a very post-post-modern delight watching folks adopt the use of a device who's origins reside in making fun of said user.

That said, I hope Disney has the good sense to ban them for the obvious safety hazard reason, but who knows - maybe they will get in bed with the devil again like they did with Electronic Scooters and make bank renting them. Or they could go the other route and sell them, with all kinds of collectable bling to adorn them with.

That would make Duffy the Bear seem like a feint wisp of smoke before the real storm.

Even if Disney banned them they would enforce it about as well as they enforce the no smoking policy while walking through the parks. I see this countless times and the CM's (who also see it) do nothing. Nothing. The non-narcissistic stick people need to be the ones to do something about this. If it swings at you knock it out of the person's hand. After a little while the entire stick using population will get the hint, maybe.

NowInc

Even if Disney banned them they would enforce it about as well as they enforce the no smoking policy while walking through the parks. I see this countless times and the CM's (who also see it) do nothing. Nothing. The non-narcissistic stick people need to be the ones to do something about this. If it swings at you knock it out of the person's hand. After a little while the entire stick using population will get the hint, maybe.

Except a vagrant smoker poses no immediate harm to another guest (and for the record, this annoys me as well, but have also actually seen it enforced, usually bay the janitorial CMs).

The issue isnt with people being against the invention itself, I am sure there are a ton of other things that annoy them just as much, its the fact that in the wrong hands, these things are actually DANGEROUS.

As I've said a few times, I HAVE been hit in the face with one of these....on main street. I am sure I am not alone. I was FORTUNATE that it did not make contact with my eye (however it was still a bit too close for comfort). The guest didn't even apologize and was more concerned with their phone on the other end than with the person they just inadvertently assaulted so that they could get a picture of him and his significant other giving a peace sign in front of the castle.

The invention itself is NOT the problem, its the person wielding it. I am sure MANY MANY MANY people use them responsibly, and thats great and I thank them, and I do feel bad that if they get flat out banned it will only be because of the actions of one too many careless persons.

G00fyDad

Except a vagrant smoker poses no immediate harm to another guest (and for the record, this annoys me as well, but have also actually seen it enforced, usually bay the janitorial CMs).

The issue isnt with people being against the invention itself, I am sure there are a ton of other things that annoy them just as much, its the fact that in the wrong hands, these things are actually DANGEROUS.

As I've said a few times, I HAVE been hit in the face with one of these....on main street. I am sure I am not alone. I was FORTUNATE that it did not make contact with my eye (however it was still a bit too close for comfort). The guest didn't even apologize and was more concerned with their phone on the other end than with the person they just inadvertently assaulted so that they could get a picture of him and his significant other giving a peace sign in front of the castle.

The invention itself is NOT the problem, its the person wielding it. I am sure MANY MANY MANY people use them responsibly, and thats great and I thank them, and I do feel bad that if they get flat out banned it will only be because of the actions of one too many careless persons.

We are in agreement. I just don't foresee a ban getting enforced.

ABQ

We are in agreement. I just don't foresee a ban getting enforced.
You may be right, however, to go back to @NowInc 's analogy of the vagrant smoker. I have myself made comment to such a smoker and influenced them into extinguishing their cigarette, and I've seen others do the same. I believe this only takes place as we're only pointing out a park regulation.
If selfie sticks were banned, I'm certain you'd find other guests berating those using them as well. I'm not saying this is the best way for the rule to be enforced, but it will happen. Sure, it doesn't stop nimrods from using flashes in dark rides, but those are the same idiots that use flashes to photograph fireworks.

G00fyDad

You may be right, however, to go back to @NowInc 's analogy of the vagrant smoker. I have myself made comment to such a smoker and influenced them into extinguishing their cigarette, and I've seen others do the same. I believe this only takes place as we're only pointing out a park regulation.
If selfie sticks were banned, I'm certain you'd find other guests berating those using them as well. I'm not saying this is the best way for the rule to be enforced, but it will happen. Sure, it doesn't stop nimrods from using flashes in dark rides, but those are the same idiots that use flashes to photograph fireworks.

Again, we are in agreement, but you are talking about guest to guest interactions (which I support). CM to guest interactions on a banned item will be sparse to put it best. I hope I'm wrong.

hopemax

Knowing this thread exists, here's my little story from yesterday. Tram from Epcot parking lot. Group of teens from Mexico, first they did a chant, then they pulled out the selfie stick and stuck it way out of the tram on the left side about 15 seconds before the tram pulled away. Tram started, camera fell off, plop, into the roadway. They of course, start screaming and standing up, while the guests behind them kept saying, they won't stop, and the CM is using the speaker to tell them to sit down. We get to the front, and 2 of the girls start sprinting full speed to go back. Not hearing their other friends telling them to wait, because a truck has arrived to give them assistance. I didn't stick around long enough to find out if the truck already had the camera in it, or just to let them know that someone was bringing it.

But when I saw them stick it way out, I started laughing to myself because of knowing the new rules and how apparently necessary they are. And I just had a feeling that the camera would pop off at the first movement of the tram. But maybe their group of 10, learned a little something about not securing their cargo.

Cesar R M

Knowing this thread exists, here's my little story from yesterday. Tram from Epcot parking lot. Group of teens from Mexico, first they did a chant, then they pulled out the selfie stick and stuck it way out of the tram on the left side about 15 seconds before the tram pulled away. Tram started, camera fell off, plop, into the roadway. They of course, start screaming and standing up, while the guests behind them kept saying, they won't stop, and the CM is using the speaker to tell them to sit down. We get to the front, and 2 of the girls start sprinting full speed to go back. Not hearing their other friends telling them to wait, because a truck has arrived to give them assistance. I didn't stick around long enough to find out if the truck already had the camera in it, or just to let them know that someone was bringing it.

But when I saw them stick it way out, I started laughing to myself because of knowing the new rules and how apparently necessary they are. And I just had a feeling that the camera would pop off at the first movement of the tram. But maybe their group of 10, learned a little something about not securing their cargo.
just wondering, how did you know they were from Mexico? o_O

note2001

Was the truck a Disney vehicle? Can you imagine Disney putting chaser vehicles on the trams simply to pick up phones dropped from selfie sticks (Along with hats, sunglasses, bags, yada yada..)

dstrawn9889

Was the truck a Disney vehicle? Can you imagine Disney putting chaser vehicles on the trams simply to pick up phones dropped from selfie sticks (Along with hats, sunglasses, bags, yada yada..)
i expect they sweep the area quite regularly, wouldnt want to cut a tire on an iPhone...

hopemax

Yeah, it was a Disney vehicle. I think it was just fortuitous timing for them, that the truck was parked near where we boarded that particular tram. So there was someone nearby to hear the screaming and probably saw it drop in the first place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom