Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

GetAPaperBag

Yeah, look at the grins on everyone involved. They are totally taking the p... uh... PEE out of the rampant selfie takers.

Again, I am not opposed to the occasional selfie myself, as indicated by my avatar pic, but as noted above, I believe those should be for special occasions and not, "Look, I'm in the bathroom about to brush my teeth just like I do every darn day!"

Special occasions, like being in Disney World for what could be a once in a lifetime trip? Couldn't agree more, break out the sticks!!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Surely, sticks can be used in such a manner as to keep from infringing on other guests.
Do you really expect guests to use common sense while on vacation?

If this forum has taught us anything at all, it's that people leave their brains at home while visiting WDW.

G00fyDad

That's why it's up to us who do have common sense to set a good example. "We live as though the world is as it should be, to show it what it can be."

If everyone felt the way you do it would be a perfect world. Unfortunately not everyone does feel that way. There are too many who feel that they should be allowed to do whatever they want, whenever they want, and however they want. It is those with zero regard for anybody around them causing injury or irritation. Those who do not cause injury just simply look narcissistic and silly. It's the ones who do cause injury or irritation by getting it in peoples faces that are the problem and force institutions and companies to take proactive action against all.

seahawk7

At the expense of everyone else.
Surely, sticks can be used in such a manner as to keep from infringing on other guests.
I don't see how the sticks could be used without infringing on the other guests because of how they are extended from the body.
0.jpg

Now this doesn't infringe.
2014-July-31-2014-20140731-DSC_2969-Selfie-stick-3.jpg

But this does especially when it's crowded.

Matt_Black

I don't see how the sticks could be used without infringing on the other guests because of how they are extended from the body.
0.jpg

Now this doesn't infringe.

No more so than if there was someone standing in front of them taking the picture.

note2001

Well, I suppose I don't need any pictures of myself, but then again, no one needs to go on a trip to WDW, either.
Speak for yourself. Disney is a drug in my book. :p

I'd not judge the family group with the selfie stick - they're using it right imho. It's not crowded, they're trying to get a family picture in a place they might not otherwise have someone to take their photo for them. I do think it's funny that one of the young ladies is holding a real camera while they're taking their life long memory with (assumed) the lower resolution / functioning camera.

Last edited:

seahawk7

No more so than if there was someone standing in front of them taking the picture.
Yes you are right. However the picture with the selfie stick was with the family standing and not moving around. When the stick is extended that far from the body while walking it becomes dangerous since it can hit someone. The person with the selfie stick has their attention split so this is a possibility. It's a potential weapon really.

seahawk7

[/QUOTE]I'd not judge the family group with the selfie stick - they're using it right imho. It's not crowded, they're trying to get a family picture in a place they might not otherwise have someone to take their photo for them. I do think it's funny that the little girl is holding a real camera while they're taking their life long memory with (assumed) the lower resolution / functioning camera.[/QUOTE]

I agree the family is using the selfie stick in the right way. I chose the picture only to show how the stick is extended from the body. But if the family begins to walk with it, it potentially becomes dangerous and a nuisance to those around them.

Cesar R M

Of course not...the people on this forum (for the most part) are highly intelligent and above reproach.
not above reproach. I dont think anyone can be "flawless". But still, Pretty sure we're way fart far away from the usual stupidity you see from the everyday groups.(groups that try to hug a bear in Alaska for a selfie, or insert their hands in plugged in blender to see if it "works")

Last edited:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
not above reproach. I dont think anyone can be "flawless". But still, Pretty sure we're way fart away from the usual stupidity you see from the everyday groups.(groups that try to hug a bear in Alaska for a selfie, or insert their hands in plugged in blender to see if it "works")

I did say "for the most part". But you have already discovered those who do not fit the norm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom