Seldom known WDW tidbits

brkgnews

Christi22222 said:
Thanks very much! I loved the description and it had terrific reviews. As soon as I decide what other Disney books to purchase with it, I will be placing my order. :)

Might I also suggest Imagineering Field Guide to the Magic Kingdom (search for it on Amazon). Guides for the other parks are on the way.

tink rules

Ok... here goes... and I'm still going to keep my biggest secret to myself... sorry... it's there for all to see, and I'm sure people know of it... it involves time if anyone wants to guess.

Anyway... I took the Architecture tour at the old Disney Institute and learned a few interesting things....

If you look at the front of Wilderness Lodge, it is elevated because it was built with the possibility - not probabilty of being hooked up to any future monorail lines.

I don't know if it is there anymore but there is a tree in Fort Wilderness that has a lawnmower growing into it...

WDW is actually it's own town, Reedy Creed Development - has it's own fire dept too.

If you look to the right on the road before the parking gate at the MK, there is a runway that was used during the construction. (Busses get parked there now...)

& in the Imagineers book, I just read that over by Big Thunder Mountain, there is a wooden leg named "Smith" playing on the joke from "Mary Poppins".

There is a sink hole in the area by the old Oddessy restaurant in Epcot (that's where the water is...) During construction a truck sank through.

The geometric center of WDW is just to the right of Innoventions - Land Side - it's that marking in the concrete that has like a compass - the middle of Future World was supposed to be at the center, but it had to be moved because of a rare bird that was nesting there.

I'm sure there's more, but I'm tired tonight...

rainfully

tink rules said:
Ok... here goes... and I'm still going to keep my biggest secret to myself... sorry... it's there for all to see, and I'm sure people know of it... it involves time if anyone wants to guess

That time goes by faster at WDW than anywhere else on the planet?

SilentWindODoom

I just remembered this one from when they mentioned the duplicated president animatronics.

The woman in the Haunted mansion who blows out the candles on her birthday cake in the ballroom scene can also be found on Pirates of the Caribbean. She is really the whistling pirate from the jailhouse scene in a dress and with a wig. The duelists from this room are also pirates dressed up differently.

There are five singing busts in the graveyard scene. One is famous for depicting Walt Disney, the lead singer, who is broken, and tipped a bit to the side. This is, however, merely a myth. It is really Thurl Ravenscroft, whose voice is used, and who also provided some other voices, including Tony the Tiger. Sadly, he recently left us.

And yes, the "FSU" weasel is true. Look here: http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/WDW/MagicKingdom/Secrets/FR/Splash.html

tink rules

nope... it's a real place...

& alot of people see it everyday....

& it's the largest in the real world, not just the "World"....

Think of ways to tell time....

rainfully

tink rules said:
nope... it's a real place...

& alot of people see it everyday....

& it's the largest in the real world, not just the "World"....

Think of ways to tell time....

Ohhhh... the sundial at Team Disney. :D

Etenpenny

lets start with liberty square
- the liberty bell there is actually cast from the original cast that made the first bell, many years ago the people that owned it leased it out to disney (they were hurting for money the story goes) the only problem is that disney acendently cracked the cast (broke the mold if you will) so while the bell is an exact copy of the liberty bell, it is the only one is the world and there will always only be those two
- the lanterns hanging from the liberty tree in liberty square represent the 13 original colonies
-the rumor is the tree itself used to be in another part of the park (tomorrowland I herd) before being moved to its current location, the only problem is that as the they moved the tree it was split down the middle, which is why if you look closely at the base of it you can see that it fork very low (and I think you can still see some of the cabeling that they wraped around the tree to hold it together)
- between liberty square and frontierland, each building has a different theme cooresponding to its themed age, which happens to be printed on the front of the building, as its address

tink rules

You got it!!!!!!

I don't know if they let you in anymore... I hope so. It is so cool!!! If you haven't been inside, it's the large cone part of the Team Disney building - I don't have a picture - perhaps someone can find one and put it up... When you go inside, it is very eerily quiet and it has river stones on the floor and stepping stones with quotes about time from everyone from Albert Einstein to Donald Duck. It was even featured in Smithsonian Magazine. They said that they put it in the business building because they wanted a peaceful place for people to go and you do see people walking around inside.

I know that if it is seen from the air, The building looks like a wrist watch.

Can somebody find the picture?

Captain Hank

Etenpenny said:
-the rumor is the tree itself used to be in another part of the park (tomorrowland I herd) before being moved to its current location, the only problem is that as the they moved the tree it was split down the middle, which is why if you look closely at the base of it you can see that it fork very low (and I think you can still see some of the cabeling that they wraped around the tree to hold it together)
Well, almost, but not quite:

The Imagineering Field Guide to the Magic Kingdom said:
The Liberty Tree is a live oak (Quercus virginiana) that was relocated from the southern part of the WDW property during initial construction. At the time, it was one of the largest trees ever transplanted. Two holes were drilled through the trunk of the tree through which were inserted heavy steel dowels that served as the attachment points for a crane. After replanting, the dowels were removed and replaced by the original wooden plugs. The original wood had become contaminated, however, and the tree developed an illness which threatened its survival. The WED landscapers removed the wooden plugs and the diseased portion of the tree and refilled this space with concrete, allowing the tree to continue to grow. Another smaller live oak was also grafted onto the Liberty Tree at its base to further its appearance.

Nut4Disney

There is a discussion forum/heading on here already called "Disney Trivia -little know tidbits". I'm sure that people already know that. Just pointing that out, because if anyone else would have come up with this topic, Thrawn would have directed someone there in his usual cheerful manner. :D

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
When you ride Kilimanjaro Safaris notice the ground that you drive on...it looks like dirt/mud but it is actually formed concrete made to look that way.

Android-XS

There is a building on Main Street called M.T. Lott Realty (Empty Lot). This was one of Walt's fake names used to buy land for WDW. The registered owner of M.T. Lott Realty was Mrs. Minnie Mouse. Walt did this so that when he bought the property the owners wouldn't know who he was and jack up the prices. Walt bought his first acre of land for $80 and his last for $80,000.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom