Seldom known WDW tidbits

stuart

marni1971 said:
Not the first, maybe in the US, but there are lots of them in the UK

To quote Timekeeper "What journey is complete, without a brief moment in the English countryside with someone named Trevor? Hello, Trevor. Take care... We`re heading for that aquaduct" :lol:

BTW; a bridge that carries water is an aquaduct.

Yeah i know that, im sure though there was something about it that made it a first, ill try find where i saw it and post back.

Number_6

nicholas said:
No kidding. The things we focus on! :p

But it got me curious as to which was bigger. So I took the image of both from the same satellite picture and put them side by side. I think MGM is the bigger of the two.

You would think that Epcot would be the biggest... it certainly has a larger nose(SSE).

Captain Hank

chocomog said:
Maybe someone can verify or refute this, but my during my last trip to WDW, one of the shuttle bus drivers said that ToT and the Castle can both be stripped down to bare frames within a couple of hours, in case of a hurricane.... it seemed pretty far-fetched to me, has anyone else ever heard this?
All buildings in WDW are built to be able to survive major hurricanes with minimal damage. However, no buildings are built to be disassembled in the event of a major storm. Another popular rumor is that the spires of the castle can be removed in the event of a hurricane--also not true. We certainly can't have those missles getting wet, now can we? :animwink:

Seriously though, it almost seems like there's a contest among the bus drivers to see how far fetched of a story they can tell. I've definately heard some whoppers in my time on the buses.

rainfully

Horizons1 said:
I think the storage room for KK and FR replacement parts and such was under the HM. Since they are both gone, I have no idea what the space is used for now.

KK and FR? :veryconfu

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
stuart said:
Yeah i know that, im sure though there was something about it that made it a first, ill try find where i saw it and post back.

Just saw you`re from Scotland... sorry - guess you know all about aquaducts. I do also remember something about the one at the Contemporary... maybe the first in the US?

We`ve one down the road near the Trafford Center that was built in 1761 by James Brindley to carry the Bridgewater over Barton Road. Still standing today, despite the ammount of lorries that have hit it from below.

But I`m drifting....

rainfully

Horizons1 said:
Kitchen Kabaret and Food Rocks,

I am not entirely sure if it is true or not but I do remember reading somewhere.

Oooohhhhh okay... :lol: I was trying to figure out some place in MK... why would they store stuff from Epcot there? Not saying it's not true but it just seems weird... :lol:

diveteam

marni1971 said:
Not the first, maybe in the US, but there are lots of them in the UK

To quote Timekeeper "What journey is complete, without a brief moment in the English countryside with someone named Trevor? Hello, Trevor. Take care... We`re heading for that aquaduct" :lol:

BTW; a bridge that carries water is an aquaduct.

That aquaduct is just a couple of miles down the road from me in a village called Trevor, I used to work there in the summer years ago when I was a student, my friends house is just to the left hand side of it :animwink:

Mark

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Titbits from the Keys tour - so blame them if they are pants as several souund dubious to me, but you decide.

The columbia House has a Nautical theme, in the upstairs room overlooking the Haunted Mansion there are two infamous ship names on placques on the wall above the fireplace, The Flying Dutchman being one, a subtle link.

There are no metal hinges on the window shutters of the houses of that area of Liberty square as leather was used so that the metal could be used to make weapons.

There are four tinkerbells and contraray to Urban myth none of them stand to wee. (allegedly)

The fleeing big game hunter up the pole on Jungle Cruise paid for his trip from the ill gotten gains he made working at POC.

Turkey legs realy are meat products

The kerb stones on Main Street are a different colour so awe struck tourists notice the edge dont step off while looking around

The open windows on the upper rooms on Main Street house the speakers for music portions of shows

Main Street slopes down towards the station to help tired kids walk easier and strollers easier to push

The hot dogs are made with 100% chiwawa meat

Dr Albert Falls

Directly across from Ft. Wilderness on Bay Lake is a mobile home park. It is where the dozen or so "citizens" of Reedy Creek live. Those citizens, who are all Disney employees, have voting rights in Reedy Creek, which allows Disney's "government" to exist.

Here's some tax info about the property:

http://www.ocpafl.org/pls/webappI/g...01000000020&query_data=1111111A&tax_year=2006

And here's a shot of the mobile homes:

http://www.google.com/maps?q=windermere,+fl&ll=28.425732,-81.568809&spn=0.003863,0.010274&t=k&hl=en

stuart

marni1971 said:
Just saw you`re from Scotland... sorry - guess you know all about aquaducts. I do also remember something about the one at the Contemporary... maybe the first in the US?

Yeah it will be - i said world probly as i was thinking bout the world firsts that WDW has, cant find it now where i read it, thought it was perhaps that 'Since the World Began - Walt Disney World The First 25 Years' but cant really see it there - im half asleep so ive probs missed it.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Pumbas Nakasak said:
There are four tinkerbells and contraray to Urban myth none of them stand to wee. (allegedly)
No way, there can only be one Tink !!

Pumbas Nakasak said:
The hot dogs are made with 100% chiwawa meat
Well, that explains everything right there !!

Captain Hank said:
Seriously though, it almost seems like there's a contest among the bus drivers to see how far fetched of a story they can tell. I've definately heard some whoppers in my time on the buses.
I think there's a school for the bus drivers that teaches them how to come up those whoppers.

BiggerTigger

Etenpenny said:
lets start with liberty square
--the rumor is the tree itself used to be in another part of the park (tomorrowland I herd) before being moved to its current location, the only problem is that as the they moved the tree it was split down the middle, which is why if you look closely at the base of it you can see that it fork very low (and I think you can still see some of the cabeling that they wraped around the tree to hold it together)

Hate to disspell this rumor of yours however - the Liberty Tree was moved from another part of the property but it is really two trees that were graphed together.

Sorry if this was a repost.

BiggerTigger

Thrawn how about creating a check list (or scavenger hunt) that we can down load and try to find around the resort, i.e. find the hidden mickey at HM or take a picture of The Ladder.

spoodles

From an earlier post by Captain Hank:

Originally Posted by The Imagineering Field Guide to the Magic Kingdom, page 74
The Liberty Tree is a live oak (Quercus virginiana) that was relocated from the southern part of the WDW property during initial construction. At the time, it was one of the largest trees ever transplanted. Two holes were drilled through the trunk of the tree through which were inserted heavy steel dowels that served as the attachment points for a crane. After replanting, the dowels were removed and replaced by the original wooden plugs. The original wood had become contaminated, however, and the tree developed an illness which threatened its survival. The WED landscapers removed the wooden plugs and the diseased portion of the tree and refilled this space with concrete, allowing the tree to continue to grow. Another smaller live oak was also grafted onto the Liberty Tree at its base to further its appearance.

The Liberty Tree stands 6 miles from its original location. It weighed 38 tons when it was moved. It was moved using a 100-ton crane.

AKQJ10

BiggerTigger said:
Hate to disspell this rumor of yours however - the Liberty Tree was moved from another part of the property but it is really two trees that were graphed together.

Sorry if this was a repost.

Well, the tree itself is actually not two trees, but a single tree (well, sort of).

The tree is actually a southern live oak (quercus virginiana), that is more than a hundred and thirty years old. It was found about six miles away from where it stands today in Liberty Square. The Tree is about 40 feet tall and 60 feet wide, and weighs more than 38 tons, making it the largest living thing in the Magic Kingdom. In fact, the root ball of the tree had a diameter of over 4 feet!

However, you are correct in that a small, young southern live oak was grafted into the base of the tree, and continues to grow today. (I'll see if I can find a good photo of it and post it).

You can read more about the tree in article I wrote HERE

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom