Security at Epcot

joejccva71

I don't mind security if I thought it was actually useful. The security they do elsewhere is of far more importance to me than this little song and dance.

Helena you and I usually agree on many topics but this one I have to disagree. After what is going on in the world these days, any extra security to keep the people safe inside the parks is a GOOD thing. I would rather have to wait an extra 30 minutes and have double bag checks than have something drastic happen.

correcaminos

Helena you and I usually agree on many topics but this one I have to disagree. After what is going on in the world these days, any extra security to keep the people safe inside the parks is a GOOD thing. I would rather have to wait an extra 30 minutes and have double bag checks than have something drastic happen.

In this case I don't think security like this really works. The extra real security are things we don't see and are effective. Visual checks by humans are not near as effective as other methods. This is more of a visual deterrent and winds up annoying me. Much like TSA does. Can't tell you even with machines how many times they miss things.

I do have real legitimate issues standing in line for 30 minutes and it more than annoys me to have to do more than 10 to get in the security. Other locations are far more streamlined than Disney. If they are going to inconvenience me, they at least could look for better methods.

Just my point of view and not always the most popular among Disney people, but kind of how I feel.

MAGICFLOP

Sorry I would rather have the extra security at the parks so I don't mind this. It's only an extra 30 minutes wait.

Agreed.....
Security today is absolutely paramount.

Security is an illusion... to make you feel better...

It would work better if Disney made a pact with terrorists -- not harm to anyone until they are 200 feet thru the gates...

You don't think that mass of people standing wait for the Tram while cars pull along side of them waiting to park, is not a security hazard?
Next time you go notice how the people dutifully stand behind the poles where they can get hit..

How about the mass of people that have not been checked waiting in the security lines?

Hate to scare everyone, but I am only speaking reality in an effort for WDW to correct it.. they have been lucky and biding their time.

Point two:
$20 plus for parking, they can hire more security and alleviate a mass of unchecked people waiting at the gate and fix one problem..

drizgirl

It would work better if Disney made a pact with terrorists -- not harm to anyone until they are 200 feet thru the gates...

You don't think that mass of people standing wait for the Tram while cars pull along side of them waiting to park, is not a security hazard?
Next time you go notice how the people dutifully stand behind the poles where they can get hit..

How about the mass of people that have not been checked waiting in the security lines?

Hate to scare everyone, but I am only speaking reality in an effort for WDW to correct it.. they have been lucky and biding their time.

Point two:
$20 plus for parking, they can hire more security and alleviate a mass of unchecked people waiting at the gate and fix one problem..
Well, in all fairness...... the people coming in off the monorail were already checked. :p

UncleMike101

Point two:
Fortunately for WDW guests the show of Security at the park entrances isn't even the tip of the iceberg when it comes to making it a pretty safe place to visit.
I've had friends in Management at WDW and have been made aware of some of the internal Security workings and procedures.
Suffice to say that WDW, while not perfect, is one of the safer venues in the Country.

_caleb

Fortunately for WDW guests the show of Security at the park entrances isn't even the tip of the iceberg when it comes to making it a pretty safe place to visit.
I've had friends in Management at WDW and have been made aware of some of the internal Security workings and procedures.
Suffice to say that WDW, while not perfect, is one of the safer venues in the Country.
Is it something cool? Is there a private SWAT team? Armed former Special Ops guards in plain clothes? Surface-to-air missles hidden in the turrets I’d Cinderella Castle? Snipers on the roofs? Maybe Magic Bands can be remotely activated to incapacitate the wearer?

matt9112

Is it something cool? Is there a private SWAT team? Armed former Special Ops guards in plain clothes? Surface-to-air missles hidden in the turrets I’d Cinderella Castle? Snipers on the roofs? Maybe Magic Bands can be remotely activated to incapacitate the wearer?

in reality SAM batterys operated by the USAF would be a sweet level of tech at the world since there's so much land a few batterys could easily be built and maintained.

joejccva71

30 minutes in the summer heat is pretty long. the point is they could do it better but choose not too.

So you're going to complain about an extra 30 minute wait at security so they can double check bags to make sure you're safe, but you're okay with standing in lines in the summer heat while in Epcot and walking around World Showcase with the sun glaring on you?

Would you rather something slip by security and save those 30 minutes?

Or better yet, can you explain how you would realistically fix it?

celluloid

The worst thing I have about Disney Security is the random factor. Either do it right and scan everybody, or don't do it at all. I don't even mean from just a safety issue, but as a Human decency issue. Nothing like walking in with your family and someone says "Gentlemen. GENTLEMEN" and puts their hand behind just you reaching behind a group of many more men who were closer to him. (only men were scanned) you need to be scanned in an additional screening. And as my wife was far ahead I bring my son with me and the guard rudely suggests that I do not need to have my child with me. "Well he is two, and is with me." After I go through and beep due to belt. I raise my arms out of conditioning I was asked to face my belongings at all times rather sternly. In my mind, "if can't trust you guys to not steal my things, you are the ones who need to be scanned." (yes, I get it in a legal fearing world why they had me do that)
But Disney's security process is just a mess and ugly.

Last edited:

joejccva71

After I go through and beep due to belt. I was asked to face my belongings at all times rather sternly. In my mind, "if can't trust you guys to not steal my things, you are the ones who need to be scanned." (yes, I get it in a legal fearing world why they had me do that)
But Disney's security process is just a mess and ugly.

So you're worried that because you were asked to show your belongings at all times (i think thats what you meant by "face"), you have an issue with that cause you're worried that the security might steal your things?

I'm thoroughly confused. Do you have this thought process when the same thing gets asked of you when you're going through security at an airport?

_caleb

Yeah, I just don't get why they don't scan everybody like at Universal.
While there is some "randomization" in screening at Disney, selection for screening is likely not random. The best security uses a combination of profiling, randomization, and targeted investigation. Sometimes, it is strategic to check certain people–not because those people are particularly suspicious, but because it sends a signal to others in line, "Wow- if they're even checking grannies and strollers, there's no way I can sneak through."

correcaminos

While there is some "randomization" in screening at Disney, selection for screening is likely not random. The best security uses a combination of profiling, randomization, and targeted investigation. Sometimes, it is strategic to check certain people–not because those people are particularly suspicious, but because it sends a signal to others in line, "Wow- if they're even checking grannies and strollers, there's no way I can sneak through."
Ah my least favorite - profiling. It's great if you are not a minority or the like. It sucks when you constantly get pulled aside. Sadly unconscious bias makes that one not as great as it could be on paper.

Yeah, I just don't get why they don't scan everybody like at Universal. They have it really streamlined up there.

I prefer their method. Many other places I go are far more streamlined as well. Disney lacks in this area. The real security is great, this is not. I'm honestly surprised more people aren't against their methods.

MAGICFLOP

Well, in all fairness...... the people coming in off the monorail were already checked. :p
True, but they go a
I did not mean to imply that the only security in Disney is the uniformed ones seen at the bag checks, nor that is the extent... I am sure they are not the muscle either, if a fight broke out, nondescript figures would appear seemingly out of nowhere to intervene.

My point is that the hundreds of times I have pulled into the lots, before making the turn into the aisle right in front of the car is dozens of people wait for the next tram just primed to get run over at the whim of a terrorist. I am sure once you enter the park it is quite secure.

If I were in charge of security, I would have a vehicle behind the people directing traffic between the people waiting for the tram and cars coming in so that their is no direct path to them.
Secondly I would disperse people waiting for bag checks, by making the bag checks further away from each other. Soft targets are a mass of people that have not been checked yet..

with all that said: I am no security expert, but these are the glaring holes that my simple mind sees.

Astro_Digital

Benjamin Franklin: “Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

Security makes me sick, I do not want to live everyday the rest of my life looking over my shoulder in fear.
Look what we surrendered so far, all these security checks, cameras everywhere and yet we are not safer and some look for ways to surrender even more freedom.

joejccva71

Benjamin Franklin: “Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

Security makes me sick, I do not want to live everyday the rest of my life looking over my shoulder in fear.
Look what we surrendered so far, all these security checks, cameras everywhere and yet we are not safer and some look for ways to surrender even more freedom.

You don't have a choice in the matter. The last time we got slack, we had huge catastrophes.

I don't really give a rats behind that you're inconvenienced by waiting an extra 30 minutes. I'd rather the parks be safe. If you don't like it, then go to Maui instead.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom