Security at Epcot

correcaminos

No I don't think it's annoying to be screened twice. Adding redundancy in security is welcome in my book. It could be that I spent a better part of my life in the military dealing with threats like this so I'm all for it. It's just where you and I differ. I have seen first hand what happens to people when security can be slack or where things can get missed so no I don't think added redundancy is annoying, not when it comes to this.

I'll say it again, if I thought this were the effective security I might maybe agree with you. I don't though.

I'm kind of fed up with the idea that I must sacrifice my time and even my physical health (again spinal issues with concrete and not moving much really do not mix) just for this. It's not worth it. It's a loophole they need to address and are too darn lazy or cheap to do so. Much like the room security checks, someone went through an idea for security without real thought. My privacy is also not worth all of this. The Epcot person who went through my credit cards really ticked me off and he had zero right to rifle through my personal cards. So yeah, I'm not thrilled with their level of 'security' now. Reading someone's credit cards is NOT okay. They need to be effective and not reduce my privacy.

Military threats (come from a military family too) are not the same as this and as military you should know this type of security is not effective like others.

If twice is good, then 3 times is better right? Why not 4?
Well said.

joejccva71

I'll say it again, if I thought this were the effective security I might maybe agree with you. I don't though.

I'm kind of fed up with the idea that I must sacrifice my time and even my physical health (again spinal issues with concrete and not moving much really do not mix) just for this. It's not worth it. It's a loophole they need to address and are too darn lazy or cheap to do so. Much like the room security checks, someone went through an idea for security without real thought. My privacy is also not worth all of this. The Epcot person who went through my credit cards really ticked me off and he had zero right to rifle through my personal cards. So yeah, I'm not thrilled with their level of 'security' now. Reading someone's credit cards is NOT okay. They need to be effective and not reduce my privacy.

Military threats (come from a military family too) are not the same as this and as military you should know this type of security is not effective like others..

I agree about the personal credit cards. No reason for them to do that. However, please don't question whether I should or should not know the effectiveness of security because I served. You're in no place to tell me that. Coming from a military family is not the same as experiencing it for yourself in person. You don't know anything about me or what I went through in the 10+ years I served as EOD. I have seen practically every kind of checkpoint, both success and failure, loophole and while Disney's security obviously isn't perfect, I can appreciate them having a secondary bag check regardless if it's a mild inconvenience. Maybe one day they'll make it all nice and perfect so people won't be as inconvenienced but until then I appreciate what they try to do.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
No I don't think it's annoying to be screened twice. Adding redundancy in security is welcome in my book. It could be that I spent a better part of my life in the military dealing with threats like this so I'm all for it. It's just where you and I differ. I have seen first hand what happens to people when security can be slack or where things can get missed so no I don't think added redundancy is annoying, not when it comes to this.

If they did the security screening well enough the first time, then there would be no reason for the 2nd time. What would have changed between the two? If there is anything that could have changed (like the person being handed a gun between the time that they were screened), then it's up to Disney to prevent that from happening by keeping screened people separate from un-screened people. This is how it's done at the Magic Kingdom entrance area: The monorail and ferryboat people are already screened and kept separate from the bus/walking/resort boat people until they go through security.

Having the Epcot monorail people be screened twice is like having another security checkpoint right after you went through a security checkpoint: completely unnecessary and a waste of time and resources.

I'm not saying the actual security screenings are good/bad, but having someone who was already checked have to be checked again is ridiculous.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
We are planning a monorail resort, pub crawl of sorts, on our next trip. We're staying at Boardwalk, thought we'd enter through International Gateway, walk to the front of Epcot, board the monorail to TTC, then take the resort monorail stopping at Polynesian, Grand Floridian, and Contemporary, each for about an hour and a half. We would probably take a cab at the end of the night. Does this plan mean we go through bag check and security 3 times? or is it even more than that?

You would go through security at the International Gateway to get into Epcot. You wouldn't be screened again until you boarded the monorail after visiting the Poly. You would then be screened after your visited the GF. If you leave the Contemporary by cab, you would not have to go through security. So yes, you would have to go through security three times in this scenario.

correcaminos

I agree about the personal credit cards. No reason for them to do that. However, please don't question whether I should or should not know the effectiveness of security because I served. You're in no place to tell me that. Coming from a military family is not the same as experiencing it for yourself in person. You don't know anything about me or what I went through in the 10+ years I served as EOD. I have seen practically every kind of checkpoint, both success and failure, loophole and while Disney's security obviously isn't perfect, I can appreciate them having a secondary bag check regardless if it's a mild inconvenience. Maybe one day they'll make it all nice and perfect so people won't be as inconvenienced but until then I appreciate what they try to do.
No I do not know about your situation. I fully admit your military service comment irked me and I was flippant in my response. Now if you said you were in either amusement park security or even at a major event location like a stadium/park whether indoor or out, I might have not been quite as dismissive really. I could tell you what my military family who does have work in some security says differently about Disney (and even TSA). None of it is really qualifying though (even if you were in EOD, which is impressive, but not the same). I get my thoughts on this from research I have found, not from anecdotal evidence.

The security there really does things inefficiently. Let's compare to Universal. How quick did we get in and out? I'll compare it to my airport (not MCO - they suck compared to all others I go through) and again, in and out in minutes. How about the arena I go to for concerts - again in and out. Fair grounds again are in and out. Disney? I've had 20 minute waits. Not good. They can look at nearly anywhere they want for a better method. Getting scanners like Universal is better than visual checks from people who make pittance and are not properly trained really. It's a show at Disney. Their real security though - hats off to them!

If they did the security screening well enough the first time, then there would be no reason for the 2nd time. What would have changed between the two? If there is anything that could have changed (like the person being handed a gun between the time that they were screened), then it's up to Disney to prevent that from happening by keeping screened people separate from un-screened people. This is how it's done at the Magic Kingdom entrance area: The monorail and ferryboat people are already screened and kept separate from the bus/walking/resort boat people until they go through security.

Having the Epcot monorail people be screened twice is like having another security checkpoint right after you went through a security checkpoint: completely unnecessary and a waste of time and resources.

I'm not saying the actual security screenings are good/bad, but having someone who was already checked have to be checked again is ridiculous.

Agreed totally!

Last edited:

BoarderPhreak

I think people might be missing the point. There aren't two consecutive security checks by design. Merely that in some instances, yes, you can end up being checked twice. It's the exception rather than the norm, and I'm sure Disney doesn't like it any more than you do.

...in the 10+ years I served as EOD...
Dang, brother. Good on ya. 🤘

correcaminos

I think people might be missing the point. There aren't two consecutive security checks by design. Merely that in some instances, yes, you can end up being checked twice. It's the exception rather than the norm, and I'm sure Disney doesn't like it any more than you do.

Dang, brother. Good on ya. 🤘

It affects all monorail resorts. That's not an exception in my book especially since one is considered the 'flagship' It wouldn't take much to fix either, they choose not to do it. I don't honestly think Disney cares or they'd have fixed it rather quickly really.

BoarderPhreak

It affects all monorail resorts. That's not an exception in my book especially since one is considered the 'flagship' It wouldn't take much to fix either, they choose not to do it. I don't honestly think Disney cares or they'd have fixed it rather quickly really.
They definitely do need to address this issue at Epcot; but at least MK isn't this way and it's working as intended.

correcaminos

They definitely do need to address this issue at Epcot; but at least MK isn't this way and it's working as intended.
Yes, definitely they have made MK easier for sure. Resort hopping not so much, but unless they find a way to secure all of WDW in a bubble so to speak, they likely cannot fix that. And no, I don't see how they could do a full bubble.

We're just going to have a difference of opinion on this and I can accept that.

I can accept it too truthfully - I just enjoy discussing things :)

_caleb

Other means of security are not dependent on the bag checks. And how is success not important?
Right. But other means of security may be dependent on visible measures as deterrent or to signal less visible measures. Success is definitely important, but we don't know how successful Disney's bag checks are in finding weapons (if that's even the purpose of the bag checks).

_caleb

Even if the redundancies aren't by design (and they should be), two checks would necessarily provide more security than one. Two different (presumably well-trained) security guards looking through the same bag makes it more likely that a weapon is found than just one security guard.

By the way, one common way bad guys try to defeat security screening like this is to pass weapons to unwitting carriers. So you may be super confident that you don't have anything dangerous in your bag, but Disney wants to check to see if someone may have slipped something in (without you noticing) with plans to retrieve the dangerous item from you later (which would actually bring another threat to your person).

Nobody thinks it's fun to wait in line to pass through security. What I don't get is how anyone would see that Disney isn't doing bag checks well (backups, bad implementation) and conclude that Disney shouldn't do bag checks at all. More staffing, better training, and better technology can reduce waiting (and the number of people standing in one confined location) and improve security while also making it less obtrusive.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

Redundancy is great in security, I agree with you there. But the volume of people who attend the theme parks is not a surprise to the theme parks. If you want to check people's bags two times, fine. But staff your freaking tables. We sat in a line for 25 minutes trying to get into Epcot, because they only had three or four security personnel checking bags in the first place. When you have to sit through a half hour of security twice, that's an hour of your day you've lost.

If Disney ran their checkpoints efficiently, very few people would care that there is redundancy in their security measures.

draybook

I only did 3 years in the Infantry, but these security folks don't make me feel any more secure. Have you even seen some of them?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I only did 3 years in the Infantry, but these security folks don't make me feel any more secure. Have you even seen some of them?

When I was a kid, my grandmother used to tell me, "You can't (always) judge a book by its cover."

When I've gone through WDW security, I've also had occasional mixed reactions, similar to some other forum members. (As is the case in many businesses, they'll always be a few people that are a bad fit for the job—and they need to leave)

Yet, in a more balanced perspective (speaking for myself only), brief interactions with the security check people, don't really give me enough time to assess their overall abilities. I'm willing to give most of them the benefit of the doubt, realizing that they may also pick up on more subtle clues about potential issues, that other guests may not realize.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom