Security at Epcot

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
f there is no security at MK or the TTC and only when you get on at the resorts

There is security at the TTC, your better off going through the checkpoint at the poly - you can just hop on the Epcot monorail. If you walk, you are dealing with everyone coming from the parking lot going to MK/Epcot

Bronson55

On a busy day, it would be wise to just pay for an Uber or Minnie Van and get dropped off at the Boardwalk or YC/BC and then enter through the IG. I took Uber from Bay Lake Tower to Boardwalk and it was $8. Well worth it compared to waiting in line for 30-45 minutes at security entrance at front of Epcot.

Good suggestion but it might not save much time after the gondola Skyway becomes operational at the IG in 2019. A few resorts as well as Disney Studios all empty at the IG as well as the current walkers from the boardwalk resorts so the volumes of entrants may rival the main gate .

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The difficulty with this is the tram passengers would be significantly put out of their way as well as some pedestrians from parking. Not insurmountable, but not ideal either..
Car guests would have the same choice they have now. Those who turn right, plus the rear half (or all of) tram guests would only have to walk to the end of the monorail exit mezzanine above, pass under the ramp via my new path, and be greeted by a new, enlarged bag check area. The extra hundred feet or so walking would be partly mitigated by reaching the check area sooner.

But I’m not paid to think this up!

The Empress Lilly

This would work

View attachment 277911

Red is the sterile boundary. Green the already checked monorail arrivals.

Blue is guests arriving to be checked at the yellow security points.

Tram arrivees could use either checkpoint with a new simple pathway around the end of the monorail ramp.

Armchair Imagineering admittedly but it’s not difficult to do as we wait for a possible wholesale entrance re design.
Logic all but dictates a setup such as this.

So much so, that I am inclined to believe t is because a massive overhaul of EPCOT's entrance area is expected that they haven't invested in this.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Is there security at the TTC when people get on the EP monorail?
If you arrive at the TTC on foot (from the parking lot or walking over from the Poly) you are required to go through the large security screening area before entering the “plaza” area of the TTC (which leads to the monorails and ferry.) Only guests arriving at the TTC by monorail or ferry are not screened.

If there is no security at MK or the TTC and only when you get on at the resorts, then that is why you have to go through it twice, I think. I plan to walk from Poly to the TTC, so I may be going through security once when I go to Epcot.
Guests from any of the monorail resorts are screened TWICE before entering Epcot ~ either at the resort before boarding the resort monorail (for transfer at the TTC) or at TCC after walking over from the Poly ~ then again at Epcot. Walking from Poly to the TTC does not save you a screening.

correcaminos

Wow, usually Epcot is better for us than MK. The longest wait we had was about 15 minutes at MK. They really need to streamline this. At least I found a case for my phone that holds my phone safely and a couple credit cards. Fits in my back pocket (or my DH's cargo pants). Stupid that they are making it this hard for us to get in really.

UncleMike101

Wow, usually Epcot is better for us than MK. The longest wait we had was about 15 minutes at MK. They really need to streamline this. At least I found a case for my phone that holds my phone safely and a couple credit cards. Fits in my back pocket (or my DH's cargo pants). Stupid that they are making it this hard for us to get in really.
During our last visit I was chased into DHS by a rookie Security Guard after being passed through the check in area.
He said that he forgot to look in my "holster".
I opened my cell phone case that I carry on my belt and showed him my phone.
After that I just showed my cell phone to the Security person.

correcaminos

During our last visit I was chased into DHS by a rookie Security Guard after being passed through the check in area.

My idea is I will show it every time, but not have to deal with the bag check. I had a case that was the same size more or less and because it zipped they considered it a bag about half the time. Some security said it isn't a bag and to not bother with bag check and others said differently. So I bought yet another option to carry a cell phone. I have a lanyard it can attach to as well so I have it safe while riding rides too.

Security there is fun sometimes ;)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Did he forget to look in your pockets, too?

eliza61nyc

Wow we were there yesterday. No issues at all. It was slow but steady. Took us about 15 minutes.. actually took longer through the finger scan. Folks in wheelchairs were having difficulties

correcaminos

Sorry I would rather have the extra security at the parks so I don't mind this. It's only an extra 30 minutes wait.
I don't mind security if I thought it was actually useful. The security they do elsewhere is of far more importance to me than this little song and dance.

Cmdr_Crimson

The only way I can see this ever working is this...
securitypoint.jpg

Resort Guests taking the Buses to Epcot they could widen and open the area by the stations to put the Security check point (Top Arrow)
and then Re-route to bypass the Monorail Security Checkpoint (Star) and guests coming from the Parking Lot & Trams Go to the right or go through Monorail Security Checkpoint (Bottom Arrow)...

Would this work??

hanwill

I was there two weeks ago, there were security checkpoints on both sides of the monorail and further to the left as well... Still waited for about 45 minutes before we could get through security. Lots of security lines at both places....I'm not sure how they could make it better.

jloucks

I have never had a problem with security except for the seeming random selection of people to go thru the detectors. Always irked me one person in my party draws the short straw and we all have to wait on them to go thru the detector. Do they still do this or is it now 100% thru the machine?

BoarderPhreak

Considering that Disney was the original target of the Pulse nightclub shooter, and the current climate of people going all überschnappen and shooting a place up because they felt disrespected is reason enough to justify the extra security. They might never actually catch a ne'erdowell (much like the TSA checkpoints all over the world) but the fact that they exist is likely deterrent enough.

I don't like the inconvenience any more than the next person, but like flying, Disney is no place for violence.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom