Seas with Nemo & Friends Broken Effects

jmuboy

Funny how these things work and don't work. I only go to WDW once a year or so and have only been three strips since the Nemo ride open. Everytime the Angler Fish worked but I have NEVER seen that shark poke his nose out. Thought it was a static figure until I read otherwise in this thread.

hack2112

I've never seen the Yeti move - but I've never seen the Anglerfish down. Luck of the draw.

Does make me think twice about getting on a ride vehicle supported by a kuka arm, though. :lookaroun
The Yeti does move, just very slightly. It's almost impossible to catch.

ImagineerAndy

Original Poster
Yeah, he moves his fingers and head, but like you said it is impossible to see, also due to the strobe. They are fixing him every night, getting more and more movement back each time.

JWG

Yeah, he moves his fingers and head, but like you said it is impossible to see, also due to the strobe. They are fixing him every night, getting more and more movement back each time.

Isn't the yeti permanently 101 right now? The EE effects thread said he was facing structural issues preventing him from being active.

But, back on topic, if the birds outside of Nemo are working, that's a treat.

dove_

Oh yea... they could give it a kinda futuristic theme, like it was an undersea research base or something. :shrug:

Oh boy.. and what about a show that sets the mood beforehand, and getting to travel down to the base in elevator things!!

Boy, that'd be swell... :lookaroun

disneydiva72

I have seen the same broken thorns on the Splash Mountain ride for 10 years, I don't know why, but it aggravates me. :lol:

Oh boy.. and what about a show that sets the mood beforehand, and getting to travel down to the base in elevator things!!

Boy, that'd be swell..

Ok, I officially peed my pants laughing. :lol:

ImagineerAndy

Original Poster
Yeah, apparently there is a structural problem but that is not a severe as the internal damage to the yeti. He's kind of in B+ mode and will be for quite a while!

I meant to say, I saw only 2 birds working at the seas the other day!! Come on, that's just too many things wrong guys!!

Oh and slightly off topic, but when I was in the Haunted Mansion the other day someone flashed in the seance scene and we all saw how the effect was done, I had no idea, and now I've seen it, it really bummed me out because I wanted it to be a secret. Why do people use flash in that ride?

EPCOT Explorer

Yeah, apparently there is a structural problem but that is not a severe as the internal damage to the yeti. He's kind of in B+ mode and will be for quite a while!

I meant to say, I saw only 2 birds working at the seas the other day!! Come on, that's just too many things wrong guys!!

Oh and slightly off topic, but when I was in the Haunted Mansion the other day someone flashed in the seance scene and we all saw how the effect was done, I had no idea, and now I've seen it, it really bummed me out because I wanted it to be a secret. Why do people use flash in that ride?

How is it done?:lookaroun:lol::eek:

whylightbulb

Whenever you do something cutting edge you are going to have problems. Just look at the turntable in the original JII, the Yeti in E:E, Lucky or the cars in TT. All of these were just above prototypes. Anytime you do something for the first time it is going to be undependable. But this is no excuse for leaving elements of attractions in disrepair. CM's need to report every effect that is not working and third shift need to do everything in their power to fix it.
there is absolutely nothing cutting edge in this disappointing attraction. A couple of variations on the pepper's ghost gag with filters and an industrial robotic arm that has been used for years in various applications and industries. The Kuka arm could be fixed by the manufacturer as it is probably still under warranty (When did this carnival quality show open again?)

ImagineerAndy

Original Poster
How is it done?:lookaroun:lol::eek:

LOL, well if you REALLY want me to tell you I will:) But I'm sure everyone else on here knows. I guess I never really thought about how it was done, and then to see it was like geez, I didn't wanna see that!
Kinda like, oh the rabbit was in the hat the whole time. I think a little piece of me just died inside...

dove_

LOL, well if you REALLY want me to tell you I will:) But I'm sure everyone else on here knows. I guess I never really thought about how it was done, and then to see it was like geez, I didn't wanna see that!
Kinda like, oh the rabbit was in the hat the whole time. I think a little piece of me just died inside...

I understand.. I'm the same way. Haunted Mansion is something I don't want to ever really understand. Whenever they explain things on TV even, I mute it until it's over so I don't hear. :eek:

EPCOT Explorer

PM me.:wave::p

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Marlin and the Angler fish are both run off the same Kuka arm (and always UV-lit) - if the arm fails, so do both characters. Whilst it looks spectacularly fast with the work lights on, the arm is being asked to do things it wasn`t designed to do, hence the downtime. During a quick-fix a curtain is drawn infront of it - this makes me wonder if it is more serious. Remember the days when WDI would invent something themselves instead of outsourcing a complete unit? Here`s the result. And to think this was the budget-enhanced version of The Seas with Nemo.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
there is absolutely nothing cutting edge in this disappointing attraction. A couple of variations on the pepper's ghost gag with filters and an industrial robotic arm that has been used for years in various applications and industries. The Kuka arm could be fixed by the manufacturer as it is probably still under warranty (When did this carnival quality show open again?)
Really how many other attractions are using a kuta robot arm in such a way? How many did it before this attraction? What other attractions are there where the peppers ghost effect is done so opaque?

burninup4nick

The screen (infront of the Jellyfish) has been torn for a while. It was torn when I was there May 1-5.... I hope they get the effects fixed before my trip!

aladdin2007

The screen (infront of the Jellyfish) has been torn for a while. It was torn when I was there May 1-5.... I hope they get the effects fixed before my trip!

You are so right, I forgot about that. That screen is nasty and last time the jellyfish werent even going up and down. They are letting things like this go and not caring. Its showing and getting worse, as far as nemo goes, but Maelstrom isnt much better, the list goes on somewhat but those two have been left to rot it seems like. And its sad for nemo because its so new.

CanadaD

Marlin and the Angler fish are both run off the same Kuka arm (and always UV-lit) - if the arm fails, so do both characters. Whilst it looks spectacularly fast with the work lights on, the arm is being asked to do things it wasn`t designed to do, hence the downtime. During a quick-fix a curtain is drawn infront of it - this makes me wonder if it is more serious. Remember the days when WDI would invent something themselves instead of outsourcing a complete unit? Here`s the result. And to think this was the budget-enhanced version of The Seas with Nemo.

With regards to the actual Kuka arm, the two characters are controlled by the same machine, however the sequence is ever changing due to a computer system. Think of a slot machine, how there's a random number generator...same thing. Apparently it's one in every 500,000 to 1,000,000 rotations that the 2 characters actually collide. The arm is so random that it smacks the walls, and chips paint off the display AND the actual characters themselves. Quite incredible when you think about it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom