Seas with Nemo & Friends Broken Effects

RagingBullFan

Marlin and the Angler fish are both run off the same Kuka arm (and always UV-lit) - if the arm fails, so do both characters. Whilst it looks spectacularly fast with the work lights on, the arm is being asked to do things it wasn`t designed to do, hence the downtime. During a quick-fix a curtain is drawn infront of it - this makes me wonder if it is more serious. Remember the days when WDI would invent something themselves instead of outsourcing a complete unit? Here`s the result. And to think this was the budget-enhanced version of The Seas with Nemo.

I work in the automotive high pressure die cast industry and work with robots on a daily basis, and I'm surprised they based the machine off of a Kuka. We demoed a Kuka once, and it hardly lasted 30 days (Doing cutting on aluminum castings) before needing a rebuild. The only robots we've found that can survive for a decent amount of time are ABB or Fanuc. If they are having so many problems they should just keep a entire spare robot, since it is easier to just replace the whole unit and its end effector (in this case the angler) than to repair the robot in place. And the cost of a robot like this is cheap (for Disney) at about $50,000/ea.

As for the robot running into walls etc. there are 2 things that can be done to prevent that, first either the teach path is within the tolerance of the robot with regards to the wall, (At max. rate for most robots of any brand we're talking 1mm play in any direction) or the bearings/servos in it are shot and need to be replaced. Beyond that even the option for collision detection can be added to the robot so it can tell when it has hit something and stop itself from damaging itself more.

Here is a page on a Kuka which is most likely very similar to the one that is being used.

Sounds like Disney should talk to someone with more experience with off the shelf robotics if they are going to go that route.

Omnimover

Wow, this is disheartening. Last time I visited three years ago this attraction wasn't even open, and now it's this far into disrepair? Sad state of affairs.

Is this the kind of thing that's a deal-breaker for the ride, or just minor annoyances? Clearly a lot of people have noticed...

I'm all for the return of an updated Seabase Alpha...

daguru

As many bad things I ready and hear about the Kuka Arms, it's hard to believe that Universal is rumored to be using them as a <a href="http://www.screamscape.com/html/islands_of_adventure.htm" target="new">ride vehicle</a>... Sounds a little scary to me.... one minute you are flying through Hogwarts and the next your hanging upside down because the arm broke down....

From what I've read, the bad maintenance and performance of the Kuka arms is why Disney based on them and didn't sign an exclusivity deal (like what Universal did).... But only time will tell if this is a good decision or not, but it isn't looking good for Universal....

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
From what I've read, the bad maintenance and performance of the Kuka arms is why Disney based on them and didn't sign an exclusivity deal (like what Universal did).... But only time will tell if this is a good decision or not, but it isn't looking good for Universal....
Oh, it`s looking very good for Uni. The arm they are basing the ride system on is a bit bigger and a lot more complex (and safer) to carry passangers; imagine x ammount of arms moving through a richly themed dark ride environment on x ammount of ride chassis, carrying x ammount of independent ride cars, all at the same time. Kuka know they have to make it work, not just for their reputation but legally too. This ride, when it opens, will make Spiderman look like it's a small world.

whylightbulb

Really how many other attractions are using a kuta robot arm in such a way? How many did it before this attraction? What other attractions are there where the peppers ghost effect is done so opaque?
Using the arm to move a static figure around a black light environment is hardly cutting edge. Of course Test Track as well as Innoventions use industrial robots. World of Motion had Bird and the Robot where the robot performed more complicated commands, and that was built in the 80s.

As far as using video reflection/pepper's ghost you can find variations at Knotts Berry Farm's Mystery Lodge, California Adventure's Tortilla tour, Disneyland's Speedway queue, Disaster at Universal Florida (using the Musion screen which is basically a much thinner material eliminating the visual gaps common with glass, and a high number of trade show exhibit booths etc.

whylightbulb

Oh, it`s looking very good for Uni. The arm they are basing the ride system on is a bit bigger and a lot more complex (and safer) to carry passangers; imagine x ammount of arms moving through a richly themed dark ride environment on x ammount of ride chassis, carrying x ammount of independent ride cars, all at the same time. Kuka know they have to make it work, not just for their reputation but legally too. This ride, when it opens, will make Spiderman look like it's a small world.
I can confirm Marni's statement here. Although it went through some pretty painful cutbacks just before the last phase of design it will still be the ride to top.

Nobody need worry about the safety of the ride system. Kuka is not the only company involved with the design and manufacture. As you might expect, safety is a primary concern with this attraction and I have rarely seen as much regulation and failsafe factor as is being applied to this project.

dazzer68

why bother putting stuf in the attractions, if they are so high tec and expensive to repair they never get looked after? seems false economy. plan and design a better longer lasting ride, that doesnt need to repaired evry other month. imagine some peopl(like me) who live overseas and can only get to the parks every coupleof years and the rides are tatty and not working, its not like we can go back and see the refurb that often.
come on disney, start spending some $$$$ and start looking after what you have.

reptar77

Funny how these things work and don't work. I only go to WDW once a year or so and have only been three strips since the Nemo ride open. Everytime the Angler Fish worked but I have NEVER seen that shark poke his nose out. Thought it was a static figure until I read otherwise in this thread.

Ditto..............:ROFLOL:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
why bother putting stuf in the attractions, if they are so high tec and expensive to repair they never get looked after? seems false economy. plan and design a better longer lasting ride, that doesnt need to repaired evry other month. imagine some peopl(like me) who live overseas and can only get to the parks every coupleof years and the rides are tatty and not working, its not like we can go back and see the refurb that often.
come on disney, start spending some $$$$ and start looking after what you have.
This situation isn`t new - it`s been happening for years. Splash Mountain, Big Thundermountain, Space Mountain, Ellens Energy Adventure, Test Track, Maelstrom, The Great Movie Ride, Dinosaur - all have elaborate effects switched off to save on maintainence or just because they were a pain to fix. Some AAs even have their movements limited to reduce costume wear. I kid you not. You reach a catch 22 - should WDI stop making effects that are hard to maintain, or should 3rd shift managers be given the okay to maintain them? It didn`t used to be like this, and Universal are way ahead in effects maintainence in both parks. Indeed, there is a concerted effort to have every effect in every attraction fully working over at USF and IOA.

ewensell3

Nope. They can use, maintain or replace the ones they already have they just cant put new ones into new attractions.

Or they could just go with another robot manufacturer. Kuka might be one of the top, and is definately the first to make rides out of them, but is certainly not the only one out there. I'm sure another company would love the exposure Disney could provide.

Sales droid to CEO: "You been to that Nemo ride at Epcot? Yeah, well Disney had a Kuka arm in there doing that really cool Angler fish effect. They were having so many problems with it they went shopping for another arm. They came to us and we had a design perfect for them. The thing has been running non-stop of 20 months now. Imagine how that would work on your assembly line!"

marksniles

Yeah, apparently there is a structural problem but that is not a severe as the internal damage to the yeti. He's kind of in B+ mode and will be for quite a while!

I meant to say, I saw only 2 birds working at the seas the other day!! Come on, that's just too many things wrong guys!!

Oh and slightly off topic, but when I was in the Haunted Mansion the other day someone flashed in the seance scene and we all saw how the effect was done, I had no idea, and now I've seen it, it really bummed me out because I wanted it to be a secret. Why do people use flash in that ride?

Please Pm me with how that make her float.

dazzer68

''just because we can, doesnt mean we should!''

perhaps disney should take this on board. if they cant look after it and have the 'full effect' or maintence to do so , dont bother. hate to say it but i bet walt would probably have fixed the darn things himself, the show must go on....

Captain Hank

Splash Mountain, Big Thundermountain, Space Mountain, Ellens Energy Adventure, Test Track, Maelstrom, The Great Movie Ride, Dinosaur - all have elaborate effects switched off to save on maintainence or just because they were a pain to fix. Some AAs even have their movements limited to reduce costume wear.
Might you be able to elaborate? I know about some of the lost effects, but there are some attractions you mentioned that I haven't heard of "lost" effects in them at all.

sanctumsolitude

I wasn't sure the shark actually poked his nose out either until I saw it once. When it did, I had to ask my fiance if she saw it too since I had always thought it was a static shark (or a permanently broken effect).

It is one of my favorite rides in all of WDW (not entirely sure why, just is), so I have ridden it at least 20 times and only saw it the once.

I was at WDW earlier this May, and all of the problems the OP has mentioned were there. The angler fish and Marlin were motionless, none of the jellyfish were moving, and Chum didn't budge (though he's not supposed to pop out very often, if at all, so it was no surprise).

Very strange that a ride that's a few years old has these problems already.

Austin1

This is sad. I totally agree that park and attraction operators have got to keep better tabs on the current state of their attractions. I hope I don't chew any CMs out for this next week, but chances are I will. Many of these things take nothing more than a phone call to fix. Bottom line: CMs don't care, if they took pride int the parks, attractions and details, many of these things wouldn't be issues.

Captain Hank

This is sad. I totally agree that park and attraction operators have got to keep better tabs on the current state of their attractions. I hope I don't chew any CMs out for this next week, but chances are I will. Many of these things take nothing more than a phone call to fix. Bottom line: CMs don't care, if they took pride int the parks, attractions and details, many of these things wouldn't be issues.
Uh, don't place the blame on attractions hosts. Most are very committed to their attractions and do notice these things and do call them in. It's just a question of whether or not anything happens after that--a situation that is out of the control of the hosts (and sometimes, out of the control of after-hours maintenance as well).

coasterphil

Uh, I can guarentee that the CMs report all the issues with the ride. Management just doesn't care enough to fix them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom