Seas/Nemo Jellyfish and Interior Update

Epcot82Guy

In concept, I don't like the nemofication at all. I miss what EPCOT was and, more importantly what those concepts and ideas could have been had they been perpetually updated, improved, and redefined. There just is no depth of story in the newer pavilions (although the Land comes close). These are more one-dimensional and kid focused. I just think the ideas of sea research and exploration (as an example) is exciting enough that it doesn't need a wide-eyed Disney character to sell it. But, that is a general concept, and not an execution.

So, I will defer that this decision is a valid one to make. They are targeting Epcot to a different audience. And, at least from the pictures, the product is well done. Disney is becoming more child-focused overall. Although I may not like it (and if this becomes the norm, it may eventually cause ME personally to stop going since I loved Disney World because it was not all about the Disney brand but rather Disney quality and imagination to me), I can respect what they are doing here. I will be interested in seeing the final product. It looks good for what it is so far.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Quick history lesson..

Epcot opens - yay! - Spaceship Earth features a really dry narration and the ending is about as entertaining as watching paint dry. No music, just ambient scientific sounds and chatter, contemplate that for a second.

A few years pass - Living Seas opens. We have Sea Base Alpha, we board Hydrolators, we ride the Carribbean Coral Reef Ride - knwon to most as Sea Cabs. It has ambient scientific sounds and chatter - it fairly dry, musicless, kinda dull.

Spaceship Earth, by this point, has closed and reworked its ending. It reopens with Tomorrows Child and a musical score and a new narration.

Where did the dry scientific chatter end up now? It's over at M:S. It's there, listen for it. Things don't go away, certain designers like certain things and just keep moving them around - it's kinda ironic in a way.

Now Living Seas is supposed to end with a song, just like Spaceship Earth ended with a song with Tomorrows Child. Lather, rinse, repeat.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
blah.... My point wasnt directed at you. It was more general. I personally dont keep track of who likes what, nor do I really care. I just wish the general feeling of rehabs were more positive in this forum. I do love your jab at the end and your use of "quotes" for my lack of "understanding" of what the imagineers were attempting to do. spare me. my type of attraction is one that is up to disney standards of story telling and execution (regardless of whether is has a feel-good/make the world a better place message or not) and the living seas as it exsisted the past few years did not. While I am not saying any change is good change (imagination taught us that) how one can assess the use of nemo on the redo based on a couple of zoomed in pictures is beyond me. that was my point.
that is cool.

it seemed the way it was worded i was directly included in that description. maybe the quotations and the end were return jabs. just depends on the way you look/read your original post.

we do agree on one thing. the bolded above. im glad we got that part cleared up :D

:wave:

Offy

Kodak EasyShare DX7440 Digital Camera - Moderately priced digital camera, in 2004 *shrug* So it's a little out dated.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DX7440/DX74A.HTM

Great pics, I can't wait to see it all for myself in a couple of weeks. I've got the Kodak EasyShare Z740 myself and love it. I've been very happy with the results from my various EasyShare cameras in relation to the price. I've seen people pay a lot more for similar results.

diddy_mouse

Hmm...I'm still kinda torn between the Nemo-fication and the original Living Seas. I haven't visited the pavillion in a little over 2 years (it was closed when were there in Oct. '05 :dazzle: ). I think adding Nemo might boost attendance to the pavillion, Turtle Talk being the prime example. And the characters that are being showcased *do* tie into what the pavillion has to offer.

I dunno....guess I'll pass judgement when we go visit...

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
I forgot about the bad name that EPCOT used to have back when it opened. Nobody wants to learn on their vacation, they want to be entertained. Disney is trying to combine education with entertainment the only way they know how, with cute little characters.

I was reminded about EPCOT's bad wrap when I was watching the Simpsons the other day. There's a episode when they go to WDW. Homer's all for it until he starts questioning what park they are going to. Finally, he puts it together in his mind that they are going to EPCOT and he lets out a blood curling scream. Then they cut to a picture of EPCOT with a sign that says, "EPCOT, when everything else is booked".

J76

I was going to take pics of the exterior - I left my monopod at home :(

Figures eh? Hehe :)

Speaking of the exterior, one pic done...

outside1.jpg

I know the change is well received by my family. My 5 year old son walked up behind me just now and said "I know who that is ... it's Crush and Bruce" Now he really can't wait for our November trip.

nate_dakparking

Thanks for the pics! I always enjoy looking at recent pics of WDW. Ever since I left the my CP back in 2004, I've felt homesick! :p Recent pics help out alot! Comming from a graphic design student, the new mural outside and ones inside are great. They don't look dated at all and they look fresh and modern. I always thought that disney had a great way of immersing their audience into their movies in the parks, and I personally think that the new Seas is just that. It's allowing us, as guests, go into the world of the sea life (in this case Nemo's) and exploring what he witnesses everyday by using the Finding Nemo's theme. Also it is still keeping the educational aspect of keeping the real sea life around. Isn't Epcot about entertaining and educating at the same time? Its great.

In concept, I don't like the nemofication at all. I miss what EPCOT was and, more importantly what those concepts and ideas could have been had they been perpetually updated, improved, and redefined. There just is no depth of story in the newer pavilions (although the Land comes close). These are more one-dimensional and kid focused. I just think the ideas of sea research and exploration (as an example) is exciting enough that it doesn't need a wide-eyed Disney character to sell it. But, that is a general concept, and not an execution.

WOW!! couldn't have said it better myself.

Chape19714

Thanks for the Pics Merf! Can't wait until more is done to Living Seas. Hey, did you notice any tinkerbelle pins around the new pavilion?? :drevil: :D

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
random thought: cant remember if i read on this forum this morning or not, but looking at Ray.... are they going to remove the sting rays from Typhoon Lagoon snorkle area?

Vernonpush

hmmmm, maybe enough to have sneak previews from the 23rd through the 30th of this month.

:D
The Passholder newsletter says : Opening late October. But you can always go in through the exit and see Turtle Talk with Crush, it's quite amazing.

By the way, thanks Mousermerf!

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
I forgot about the bad name that EPCOT used to have back when it opened. Nobody wants to learn on their vacation, they want to be entertained. Disney is trying to combine education with entertainment the only way they know how, with cute little characters.

Im afraid I must disagree. There was a time when EPCOT was able to provide education that was entertaining without the current injection of younger childrens characters and theming. I find myself in the minority I know, but, I was a child who actually enjoyed Sea Base Alpha in its original form. I was thouroughly captivated with the place.

It seems that EPCOT did go through a series of opening tweaks and changes which brought it to a place where enough of the majority enjoyed it. Now another series of changes are in progress to attempt to bring it to where the new majority enjoys it. The question really at this point is whether or not education will be an important factor in the future of EPCOT or not. It may not be a popular enough theme, which sadly, should tell us something about our current society.

I realize someone will read this and say "What's wrong with a Mission Space or a Test Track? Can't I have fun?' There is nothing wrong with either of those rides in and of themselves. It is when I step back and look at them in the comparitive light of what the EPCOT experience was supposed to be about that it troubles me.

I was reminded about EPCOT's bad wrap when I was watching the Simpsons the other day. There's a episode when they go to WDW. Homer's all for it until he starts questioning what park they are going to. Finally, he puts it together in his mind that they are going to EPCOT and he lets out a blood curling scream. Then they cut to a picture of EPCOT with a sign that says, "EPCOT, when everything else is booked".

If I remember correctly that is the same episode where they are flying over EPCOT and Homer says that "Aww....It's even boring from up here." Or something to that effect. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom