Scooters

Status
Not open for further replies.

westie

Why don't they just tow the scooters and wheelchairs behind the bus? If you just wheel the old guy back there behind the exhaust pipe and go. The scooters have 4 wheels and are stable, just tie them to the bumper and check on them every now and then. Whats the big deal already?:dazzle:

kimmychad

I hear what you are saying, but i frear your suggestions won't work. If a "scootered" person is in line with the other passengers, then when it get to be their turn to get on, other passengers will have boarded ahead of them. Then you would have to load the scooter and most likely have people move around to accomidate the scooter and it's rider. The likelyhood that they would be in line and in a position to board first is slim.

so what happens when the bus makes a second or third stop with people already on it and a "scootered" person needs to get on? theres a sign above the scooter area on the bus that says you will have to move if a person in a wheelchair or scooter gets on, i don't know anyone would be upset if they had to move. to me, it would be the same as me parking in a handicapped parking spot and a disabled person came along and i had to move.

kimmychad

Seems like a bus just for wheelchairs and ECV's and their group members would work. Have their stop to the side of the regular bus pickup.

I do think that drivers of the ECV's could pull off to the side to have their smoke or chat on the cell phones, rather then just stop in the middle of the 'road'. On busy days it's hard enough to manuever around people, much less a wheelchair or ECV sitting in the way with family members along side.

Next Trip - January 2009

sorry segregation never works for long.

stevediesel

so what happens when the bus makes a second or third stop with people already on it and a "scootered" person needs to get on? theres a sign above the scooter area on the bus that says you will have to move if a person in a wheelchair or scooter gets on, i don't know anyone would be upset if they had to move. to me, it would be the same as me parking in a handicapped parking spot and a disabled person came along and i had to move.

Why would you be parking in a handicapped spot unless you were handicapped?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
In my city, you get a $300 ticket for parking in, stopping in or blocking access to any Handicap Parking spot. It is illegal because if a legitimate user can't access the spot or tell that it's available because you're in it, you've defeated the purpose of having the spot at all. If I have to pull up and honk for you to get out of the spot, you've essentially caused me to park somewhere else [particularly in areas of the U.S. without gun restrictions - like I'm gonna honk at somebody who might shoot me! :eek:].

NEmickeyfan

Granted, people moving to provide access for the wheel chair or scootered person works during the time of day when the bus is not packed. The scenerio that comes to mind for me is at the end of the day. I have frequently seen the bus packed from front to back with people sitting and standing. It just seems logical to me that the least hassle for all the riders is to let the scooters and wheel chair riders get on first. I really am totally amazed at how well Disney's transportation system works.. it's a monumental task and I feel they do a remarkable job. So, until they can come up with a better system, what we say here is of little concequence.
Til then, we all have to exercise patience and good manners.

Only indiviuals with handycapped stickers/license plates,etc should park in the designated parking places.... period.

kimmychad

Only indiviuals with handycapped stickers/license plates,etc should park in the designated parking places.... period.

In my city, you get a $300 ticket for parking in, stopping in or blocking access to any Handicap Parking spot. It is illegal because if a legitimate user can't access the spot or tell that it's available because you're in it, you've defeated the purpose of having the spot at all. If I have to pull up and honk for you to get out of the spot, you've essentially caused me to park somewhere else [particularly in areas of the U.S. without gun restrictions - like I'm gonna honk at somebody who might shoot me! :eek:].

Why would you be parking in a handicapped spot unless you were handicapped?

i don't park anywhere close enough to be considered anything but far away from where im shopping, eating, etc. i like my truck and i don't want people near it. i also don't sit in the seats on the bus that are clearly marked handicapped people only, or whatever they say.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
i don't park anywhere close enough to be considered anything but far away from where im shopping, eating, etc. i like my truck and i don't want people near it. i also don't sit in the seats on the bus that are clearly marked handicapped people only, or whatever they say.
Sorry, your post definitely didn't give that impression. I wasn't trying to jump down your throat or anything, but pointing out what would happen here if you did.

kimmychad

Sorry, your post definitely didn't give that impression. I wasn't trying to jump down your throat or anything, but pointing out what would happen here if you did.

its fine monty, i just didn't word it correctly. my grandfather was a bilateral amputee and im very against any abuse of the handicapped spots or complaining about people in scooters, its just personal with me.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
its fine monty, i just didn't word it correctly. my grandfather was a bilateral amputee and im very against any abuse of the handicapped spots or complaining about people in scooters, its just personal with me.
Being a quadrilateral amputee [fingers and toes amputated and/or moved], I understand completely. :animwink:

WDW-LUVR

in 2005 we took my dad to Disney and need some help with a wheelchair but we set my dad up off to the side of the front of the the line and the rest of us (9) would get in line and when we would reach the front then he would join us. thats the fairest way we found to do it.

gwhb75

Original Poster
in 2005 we took my dad to Disney and need some help with a wheelchair but we set my dad up off to the side of the front of the the line and the rest of us (9) would get in line and when we would reach the front then he would join us. thats the fairest way we found to do it.

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I had in mind when I started this thread. It does seem the fairest thing to do when travelling with a large group.

hpyhnt 1000

Now that seems to be the sensible way to look at it. I find it outrageous that a group of 5, 7, or more people should be entitled to go to the front of the line for everything and not have to wait just because one person has a disability. I understand some have special needs that need to be accomodated, but that does not mean that the rest of their family, who are able to move about perfectly fine, is entitled to move ahead of everyone else in line. Accomodate the person, not the entire group.

To me, the sensible way of doing this would be to say to the person with the disability, "Here's what can happen. If you would like to board this bus, we will accomodate you and board you first. However, since there were guests already in line ahead of you, the rest of your family will have to wait for the next bus. If you would like to ride the bus with your family, then you can wait for the next bus to come and we will be able to accomodate all of you on then."

That gives an option to the person in the scooter. If they want to get on the bus right away, they are more than welcome to, understanding that the rest of their group will have to wait for the next bus. Should they not want to seperate, then the entire group, including the person in the scooter, can wait for the next bus.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Now that seems to be the sensible way to look at it. I find it outrageous that a group of 5, 7, or more people should be entitled to go to the front of the line for everything and not have to wait just because one person has a disability. I understand some have special needs that need to be accomodated, but that does not mean that the rest of their family, who are able to move about perfectly fine, is entitled to move ahead of everyone else in line. Accomodate the person, not the entire group.

To me, the sensible way of doing this would be to say to the person with the disability, "Here's what can happen. If you would like to board this bus, we will accomodate you and board you first. However, since there were guests already in line ahead of you, the rest of your family will have to wait for the next bus. If you would like to ride the bus with your family, then you can wait for the next bus to come and we will be able to accomodate all of you on then."

That gives an option to the person in the scooter. If they want to get on the bus right away, they are more than welcome to, understanding that the rest of their group will have to wait for the next bus. Should they not want to seperate, then the entire group, including the person in the scooter, can wait for the next bus.
And how does the next bus driver along know that the previous driver made this "deal"? Surprising as it may seem, Disney actually knows what they're doing.

Simply put, the current system works. Parties are not separated and the buses get loaded in a logical order.

If you split up a wheelchair user from the rest of their group, who's going to tend to their needs on the bus or at their destination while they wait for the rest of their party? If one companion is allowed, but not the group, what if I'm traveling with a wheelchair user and a child? Do I leave the wheelchair user to fend for themselves or the child? Who decides what size group is reasonable to let on and what isn't? What if there are six wheelchairs waiting at the stop? How do I tell the sixth one that they might have to wait for more than three buses because the wheelchairs in front of them have to wait until even more buses come before they're allowed on?

The TABs of this world [Temporarily able-bodied - you never know when you might join the ranks of the disabled] need to realise that accomodating the disabled may seem to put you out a few minutes hereand there, but the disabled are put out permanently.

shurst

The only issue i do have is when people rent them and use them to get to the front of the line on rides, an example, when i was down there in May 2008 i witnessed this first hand. A lady had a scooter that she had rented and her and her family all went to the front of the line. Maybe a half hour later and ran into this family again and the husband was on the scooter and the lady was walking around.

TinkerbellK

The only issue i do have is when people rent them and use them to get to the front of the line on rides, an example, when i was down there in May 2008 i witnessed this first hand. A lady had a scooter that she had rented and her and her family all went to the front of the line. Maybe a half hour later and ran into this family again and the husband was on the scooter and the lady was walking around.
YOU DO NOT GO to the front of the lines with scooters or wheelchairs - trust me, I waited in every line with everyone else...

And lots of people need to get up and walk around when they use scooters. if you sit all day you get stiff and that can cause even more problems. i have a $2000 custom wheelchair and i need to get up and walk, even i get stiff!

hpyhnt 1000

And how does the next bus driver along know that the previous driver made this "deal"? Surprising as it may seem, Disney actually knows what they're doing.

Simply put, the current system works. Parties are not separated and the buses get loaded in a logical order.

If you split up a wheelchair user from the rest of their group, who's going to tend to their needs on the bus or at their destination while they wait for the rest of their party? If one companion is allowed, but not the group, what if I'm traveling with a wheelchair user and a child? Do I leave the wheelchair user to fend for themselves or the child? Who decides what size group is reasonable to let on and what isn't? What if there are six wheelchairs waiting at the stop? How do I tell the sixth one that they might have to wait for more than three buses because the wheelchairs in front of them have to wait until even more buses come before they're allowed on?

The TABs of this world [Temporarily able-bodied - you never know when you might join the ranks of the disabled] need to realise that accomodating the disabled may seem to put you out a few minutes hereand there, but the disabled are put out permanently.

No, the wheelchair user stays with the child for the next bus, thats all. The only exemption that a person in a scooter/wheelchair should get is that that they are loaded first because of how the scooter must be secured on the bus. However, IMHO, it should NOT mean that they get to jump ahead of the 30-50 other people that have patiently waited their turn for the next bus. If its so important for them to make it on to that bus right then and there, then I say fine, go ahead, but you'll be seperated from your party.

And if six wheelchairs appear at a bus stop at the same time, is it really a crime to make them wait their turn? How about the people who were already there that been waiting in line for 30 minutes or more for the next bus? Disney suddenly has to forget about everyone else there and board the persons in the wheelchairs instead? Basically, you're saying that its okay for the person without disabilites to wait for 3 busses, but not the person in the wheelchair. I say no, not if the people who are in line were there before the person in the wheelchair. (That is how I'm reading your post.) Everyone should wait his/her turn, regardless if they are in a wheelchair or not.

MontyMon said:
If you split up a wheelchair user from the rest of their group, who's going to tend to their needs on the bus or at their destination while they wait for the rest of their party?

That is precisely the point. If a person in a wheelchair or scooter wants to board that particular bus right then and there, then they can do so, but their party won't be able to join them. This way, the people who were in line in front of them wouldn't lose thier turn on the bus. What this does is make groups and persons in wheelchairs wait their turn behind those that arrived in front of them. I see nothing cruel or wrong about making everyone wait their turn. A person in a wheelchair is just that, a person. In my mind, there is no reason why they should be treated differently, and allowed to bypass everyone else in line to get on the bus.

If this is how it works (or rather, how its suppossed to work), where wheelchair groups wit their turn in line, then fine, lets enforce it. Its just that the times I've been at WDW and used the bus system, it has not worked where those in wheelchairs wait their turn. Its always been that the wheelchair gets on first, regardless of whether or not they arrived after we did.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
No, the wheelchair user stays with the child for the next bus, thats all. The only exemption that a person in a scooter/wheelchair should get is that that they are loaded first because of how the scooter must be secured on the bus. However, IMHO, it should NOT mean that they get to jump ahead of the 30-50 other people that have patiently waited their turn for the next bus. If its so important for them to make it on to that bus right then and there, then I say fine, go ahead, but you'll be seperated from your party.

And if six wheelchairs appear at a bus stop at the same time, is it really a crime to make them wait their turn? How about the people who were already there that been waiting in line for 30 minutes or more for the next bus? Disney suddenly has to forget about everyone else there and board the persons in the wheelchairs instead? Basically, you're saying that its okay for the person without disabilites to wait for 3 busses, but not the person in the wheelchair. I say no, not if the people who are in line were there before the person in the wheelchair. (That is how I'm reading your post.) Everyone should wait his/her turn, regardless if they are in a wheelchair or not.

That is precisely the point. If a person in a wheelchair or scooter wants to board that particular bus right then and there, then they can do so, but their party won't be able to join them. This way, the people who were in line in front of them wouldn't lose thier turn on the bus. What this does is make groups and persons in wheelchairs wait their turn behind those that arrived in front of them. I see nothing cruel or wrong about making everyone wait their turn. A person in a wheelchair is just that, a person. In my mind, there is no reason why they should be treated differently, and allowed to bypass everyone else in line to get on the bus.

If this is how it works (or rather, how its suppossed to work), where wheelchair groups wit their turn in line, then fine, lets enforce it. Its just that the times I've been at WDW and used the bus system, it has not worked where those in wheelchairs wait their turn. Its always been that the wheelchair gets on first, regardless of whether or not they arrived after we did.
I pray you never become disabled and have to deal with people like yourself every day.

kimmychad

when we rode it's a small world the cm said the entire party goes with the scooter, we didn't ask anything. but i do see you point about large numbers of people using a handicapped entrance, but please keep in mind, they're not necessarily going to the front of the line.

when we visited the world 2 weeks ago the line for small world was walk-on. we actually waited longer to ride than if we had just went through the regular line, and that was fine with us, but we certainly didn't get preferential treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom