Say.... What if Avatarland got cancelled?

Prototype82

nakedrobber-bronies.jpg

I bought a My Little Pony happy meal today.

FigmentJedi

Funny this thread has turned into Bronies, because the fans that Cameron's Avatar does have tend to linger in the creepily obsessive side of things.

Spike-in-Berlin

I wouldn't be disappointed, not at all. I have to confess, I didn't enjoy the movie that much, it was nothing special to me and it's enormous financial success is beyond my unterstanding.
I was actually VERY disappointed when Disney announced that the first major expansion of DAK since EE, or better since the opening as EE was just the addition of one E-ticket-ride, would be an Avatar-Land! I would prefer an improved Beastly Kingdomme at any time to an entire land based on one movie. Yes I know, there will be sequels but is there a guarantee that the movie(s) really will create such a lasting franchise that it justifies an entire land built around it? What if the next movie is a box-office bomb? What if the sequels are no "Empire strikes back" and "Aliens"-like sequels but rather more "Highlander 2" and "Alien 3"? That's impossible? I thought the same of the other 2 sequels before I saw "Highlander 2" and "Alien 3".
We have never got a Star Wars Land in DHS, just a single ride and although Star Tours 2 is a major attraction again since the refurb and plussing, it is still far away from the potential that lies in the SW-Saga. That would be even worth an entire park not to talk about an entire land.
But after so far only ONE Avatar-movie they plan an entire LAND (not just a major attraction)?
I don't understand this decision and because I consider Cars Land in DL the perhaps greatest expansion project of a single park since the 1970ies, it's just another example to me, that DL still get's the REAL big ones, not WDW as it should be.

Foolish Mortal

Can't say I'd be disappointed either. Haven't seen the movie and have no plans to see it. Just doesn't appeal to me. At best it would've been/will be a casual stroll by type of thing that if I didn't do, it wouldn't bother me. As many others have probably said, use the money to fix what's broken or build something Disney themed.

BrightImagine

why do I immediately think of a certain blogger who likes ponies and seems to suggest they would use a female restroom at WDW, but I think is likely one of the boys pictured above?

Spirit, I actually am kind of a fan of yours, but this is just mean... That's my favorite blogger of all time that you're picking on. I'm disappointed.

P.s. I'm a female and I think bronies are great. They share some traits with WDW fans.

Lee

Adventurer
My morning 2 cents:

Screw Avatar. John Carter of Mars is a far more entertaining film, with plenty of theme park possibilities.

"Bronies"...Seriously?!?!? !:hammer:

:ROFLOL:

Computer Magic

What I was looking forward to was Cameron attention to detail and quality coming to Disney more than Avatar itself. Something Disney has lost sight of over the last 10 years. I don't need Disney theme as most of DHS isn't Disney theme and guess what....up until 6 years ago Pixar wasn't Disney either. What we need is the old Disney quality back into the parks. That is how Pixar beat Disney and Disney was forced to purchase Pixar.

If I read this thread correctly, Seems Cameron's price tag is what driving the wedge between the two. Cameron's will not half ______ anything. That is what AK deserves.

zooey

My morning 2 cents:

Screw Avatar. John Carter of Mars is a far more entertaining film, with plenty of theme park possibilities.

"Bronies"...Seriously?!?!? !:hammer:

:ROFLOL:

I agree, Lee. I thought this could be part of the distance from Avatar on Disney's part. JC goes after the same demographic, and then they would not have to deal with James Cameron and his royalties.

I've been saying that Avatar is also unbelievably difficult to transfer to a theme park environment, but JC has many alien, yet grounded visuals that wouldn't be as difficult. They could even do something like a turn of the century city of Earth and then a "transference" experience where you then go to mars and have a second land portion taking place there. Lots of possibilities, and I daresay they are more interesting than a Pandora forest.

Spike-in-Berlin

Spirit, I actually am kind of a fan of yours, but this is just mean... That's my favorite blogger of all time that you're picking on. I'm disappointed.

P.s. I'm a female and I think bronies are great. They share some traits with WDW fans.

And that traits should be exactly what?
I consider this indication quite insulting for us WDW-fans.
There are lightyears between adult fans of theme parks aimed at whole families from pre-schoolers to grandparents and adult nerds who adore a corny cartoon franchise aimed at young girls. Bronies let even trekkies look cool and sophisticated.

BrightImagine

Well, before I came to this particular thread, I would have said that the shared traits are optimism and tolerance.
Are you saying that adult wdw fans are not nerds?
After some years of reading here I am getting the distinct impression that I don't belong. And I'm quite sad about it.

misterID

Well, before I came to this particular thread, I would have said that the shared traits are optimism and tolerance.
After some years of reading here I am getting the distinct impression that I don't belong. And I'm quite sad about it.

Awww. Don't think that way. Everyone is a nerd about something, and most are nerds about a lot of things. You're more than welcome here and you'll find some like minded people, I'm sure. :)

Lee

Adventurer
Some, certainly, but not all.:cool:
I can say that I, for one, am not.

The "bronies", and their Disney counterparts (if there are any) cross my personal line into some distinctly odd territory.:lookaroun

MKCP 1985

What I was looking forward to was Cameron attention to detail and quality coming to Disney more than Avatar itself. Something Disney has lost sight of over the last 10 years. I don't need Disney theme as most of DHS isn't Disney theme and guess what....up until 6 years ago Pixar wasn't Disney either. What we need is the old Disney quality back into the parks. That is how Pixar beat Disney and Disney was forced to purchase Pixar.

If I read this thread correctly, Seems Cameron's price tag is what driving the wedge between the two. Cameron's will not half ______ anything. That is what AK deserves.

Agreed, and until AK gets what it deserves, I won't spend my hard earned money to go back there.

A big budget Pandora area could change my mind, but otherwise, I will spend my fourth day re-visiting other Disney parks or will go to Universal or Sea World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom