Say.... What if Avatarland got cancelled?

CaptJapan

Sorry, I know this is now off topic, but:A college course full of 20-30 year olds all said they loved Avatar: the Last Airbender? A children's show that has very limited appeal outside of it's target demographic? (unlike something like, say, Adventure Time)

Never heard of a Brony, have you?

JimboJones123

Sorry, I know this is now off topic, but:A college course full of 20-30 year olds all said they loved Avatar: the Last Airbender? A children's show that has very limited appeal outside of it's target demographic? (unlike something like, say, Adventure Time)

This is a terribly ill informed post. Animated Avatar may be the greatest animated series of all time. The movie wasn't really too terrible, but it was SO far removed from the tone of the series that it is despised.

ctxak98

People say that because the work has already been done for them. They can already see the world and know what it contains. What hurts both the Muppets and Toy Story is that they take place in this world, so what they see is just this world. But the public is also not being paid to be creative.

How does Walt's involvement automatically make something more creative? Walt was not obsessed with filling attractions with narratives, thus we get the vignette experiences that are still considered some of the best of the best.

I didnt mean just because Walt built them....you gave the examples of those two rides and all I was saying is that He created mini stories even if there isnt much talking or storytelling. It still is more clear then the Harry Potter ride in my opinion.

This is a terribly ill informed post. Animated Avatar may be the greatest animated series of all time. The movie wasn't really too terrible, but it was SO far removed from the tone of the series that it is despised.

THIS. No appeal outside of it's target demographic? Do you not visit the Internet? :animwink: Avatar: The Last Airbender is one of the most well-written shows made for television. It is so popular, they are in production of a sequel series due to premiere later this year, which is arguably one of the most anticipated releases for television since it was announced in 2010. The fanfare at Comic-con alone shows that the series has as broad an appeal as Harry Potter. Now, if Disney could form a deal with Paramount, a "Last Airbender" land (based on the animated show and not the abomination M. Night Shamalamadingdong did) in AK would fit the fantasy gap perfectly.

misterID

Just to add some more hard info before I get lost in this thread ... but when I talked to my source at WDI, said source pointed out the fact that Disney hasn't released one piece of generic artwork to get fanbois excited 'because they can't even agree on the basics' ... what you have are two diametrically opposite views on building the land (and I absolutely saw that coming). Cameron wants something groundbreaking. Disney wants to give you Soarin Over Around and Thru Pandora. Cameron wants to take that $500 million budget and add 'whatever it takes to do this right' ... Disney wants to trim $100-125 million from the budget (guess they need to cover the John Carter disaster).

Also want to make it clear (like the OP) that Avatarland isn't quite dead and you're dealing with another ego here -- Bob Iger's. And he really is burning about the work UNI is doing. In California, he can point to the DCA Makeover and crow. But at the 'flagship resort' that modest Fantasyland project isn't going to do it.

My point being this could stay alive just because of Iger's ego.

My gut tells me that I am hungry ... oh, and it also tells me that the chances of ever seeing construction are very, very, very slim.

~Hail in Hawaii? Glad I'm not at Aulani!~

If Iger is burning over UNI Orlando, he could do something about it now, and it doesn't need to be AvatarLand.

zooey

THIS. No appeal outside of it's target demographic? Do you not visit the Internet? :animwink: Avatar: The Last Airbender is one of the most well-written shows made for television. It is so popular, they are in production of a sequel series due to premiere later this year, which is arguably one of the most anticipated releases for television since it was announced in 2010. The fanfare at Comic-con alone shows that the series has as broad an appeal as Harry Potter. Now, if Disney could form a deal with Paramount, a "Last Airbender" land (based on the animated show and not the abomination M. Night Shamalamadingdong did) in AK would fit the fantasy gap perfectly.

I've been gone for six pages and we've somehow transitioned from comparing Cameron's Avatar into Avatar: The Last Air Bender? How did that happen?

I suppose Disney COULD just say, "We got so confused with our Avatars that we meant the Last Airbender one! Sorry James Cameron!"

Like, what? Just when I think I've got these boards all figured out, the places it goes proves me so ignorant again and again.

FigmentJedi

Please. Avatar the Last Airbender's online fanbase is pretty much entirely teen to college age. It's one of the most well regarded animated shows out there and Legend of Korra looks to be continuing the quality of the original while improving on the art and fight choreography.

IHeartArt

Animated Avatar may be the greatest animated series of all time.

I have a rich man who spends his nights dressed as a bat that would disagree with you over this. A:TLA is pretty good though.

Also, I would be totally okay with this. Avatar was a godawful piece of racist stereotypical trash that literally painted Native Americans as exotic s e x symbols that needed Johnny White Man to help save them from other white people by being better at their culture than they were.

Mike730

Never heard of a Brony, have you?

Oh please stop now...

Please. Avatar the Last Airbender's online fanbase is pretty much entirely teen to college age. It's one of the most well regarded animated shows out there and Legend of Korra looks to be continuing the quality of the original while improving on the art and fight choreography.

I can vouch for this. I have a few buddies that are more than obsessed with the show, having watched every episode at least 3 or 4 times. They're all 18 or 19.

trr1

Brony- is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Krzyżanów, within Kutno County, Łódź Voivodeship, in central Poland

Martian Crab

nakedrobber-bronies.jpg

WDW1974

Money? Check!
Vision? Hmm... Are we including Next-Gen as some form of vision?

Is this a trick question? :p

Only if you think Disney is tricking its vistors in O-town with smoke and mirrors marketing and the same stale product year after year after year after year after ...

~Can you imagine the Spirit diving in? Neither can I.~

WDW1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW1974
Surprising Spirit Fact: He doesn't own and isn't affiliated with Spirit Airlines.

And that's a good thing.....otherwise you'd be nickel and diming us to death for your every thought!

True enough.

I think it would have to be a truly life and death, no choice situation to get me on one of their planes.

~I miss the DC-10~

CaptainJackNO

I wouldn't be disappointed. WHile I can certainly see this land as something that can be really beautiful and spectacular, I am not sure the brand is established. Now, part of the reasoning behind the time frame, in addition to construction time, can be the release of a sequel. However, I think, if I were asked, I would prefer the Beastly Kingdom addition. It just seems to be more original and long term.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom