Say.... What if Avatarland got cancelled?

Lee

Adventurer
You're saying that someone is distinctly odd...because they simply enjoy a particular cartoon?
Yep.
A post-adolescent or teen male who enjoys a cartoon which is designed, targeted and marketed for preschool girls (and even to the point of having meet-ups about it).....yep, really fudgin' odd.
(And to paraphrase young Ralphie Parker, "Only I didn't say "fudgin'".)

But hey, that's just me.:shrug:

Until he took an arrow in the knee.
I see that phrase around, but am unaware of it's origins. Does sound vaguely "adventurey", though...

RSoxNo1

My morning 2 cents:

Screw Avatar. John Carter of Mars is a far more entertaining film, with plenty of theme park possibilities.

"Bronies"...Seriously?!?!? !:hammer:

:ROFLOL:

After it's crappy opening weekend, I expect John Carter to be buried.

Animaniac93-98

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4wh4FnwiAg

What young girl is going to catch this subtle Star Wars reference? Really.

Or Star Trek, The Music Man, Indiana Jones and Batman: The Animated Series?

Yep.
A post-adolescent or teen male who enjoys a cartoon which is designed, targeted and marketed for preschool girls (and even to the point of having meet-ups about it).....yep, really fudgin' odd.

Trageted and marketed? Yes. "Designed"? That's the debatable part. When a group of adults (the people who actually make a show) try to make something that amuses themselves it has a tendency to attract other like-minded individuals.

For a cartoon "kids show" to do so is nothing new, this has been going on since at least the early 90s and my username is a perfect example of such a show.*

What is different is that this logic is being applied to a series which up until this point was never like this and just as you've described (and really just an extended commercial sold as a "show") because the creators didn't really have to care. Now a new group does and they've generated a new viewing base as a result. Leading to understandable "huh?"s from the general public.

Now there is an obvious difference between just watching a show and participated in a "fanbase" (fan fiction, meet ups, merch buying, convention going etc.). One could call themselves a fan of any show and not need to "prove" it in such a way, but I wouldn't think it automatically weird in this day an age to watch a cartoon show just becuase the official marketing is age (or gender) specific. Does anybody here not watch Tangled because of the way Disney sells its merchandise?

And yes, weird Disney fan stuff** exists too (which is why Google thankfully has safe search), and yes even I think its unecessary to hold meet ups like the one pictured, but I wouldn't bash those who do for this particular show. They have the right to do as they please and there's worse entertainment to obsess over IMO.

/rant

*Before anyone aks, no, I don't think the new MLP is any better than Animaniacs, Freakazoid!, Batman:TAS and others that also have cross-generational appeal, but it's still amusing.

**Not really for theme park stuff from what I've seen, but if you have, no I don't really need to see it :lol:

....What's going on with Avatarland again?

Animaniac93-98

Not unless people put more of their two cents (or bucks) into it.

Just out of curiosity, do any of our insiders know of potential JC ideas that were made before the film's release date? A different Soarin' variation?

misterID

I thank you, sir!
Indiana-Jones-indiana-jones-harrison-smiley-emoticon-000444-medium.gif

You have a snazzy emoticon for every situation! :fork:

...and all I got is this crappy devil.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

ehh...30 million in one weekend is probably more due to crappy advertising for the film. I expect this film will make it more in extended showings because of this lack of support from the studio.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Something about engines and cargo doors falling off.

Well to be fair, the DC10's engine problem was found to be the fault of a maintenance shortcut of removing the engine from the aircraft with the pylon still attached instead of the recommended method of dropping the engine from the pylon itself.

Now, the outward opening cargo door problem...that was a deadly mistake.

misterID

I swear I saw a really good trailer for it once. The rest looked like The Prince Of Persia, which isn't a good thing, imo. Plus, next to the Wrath Of The Titans tv spots, it looked weak. I just don't see dumping all this scratch on advertising and not thinking you're doing a really good job promoting it. Someone's making some bad decisions somewhere.

grunter

I know I'm going against the conventional wisdom in saying this, but Avatar does not have anything going for it. Fluorescent plants and glow-in-the-dark-painted animals just isn't enough.

I say, "Kill it, kill it with fire." Then I will be satisfied.

:sohappy:

This x about a million.

Just let this horrible Avatarland concept die already.

Captain Neo

Yep.

yet your a grown man posting on a disney world message board. Lets face it Disney is for little kids,tweens and families with small children.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom