Save the Adventurers Club

John

The original PI was a smash hit....the place was butts to nutts every night. The original concept was unique and
not found anywhere else. jt you are factually wrong and you know it....Your soul purpose in this thread is to troll.
Why?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
The original PI was a smash hit....the place was butts to nutts every night. The original concept was unique and
not found anywhere else. jt you are factually wrong and you know it....Your soul purpose in this thread is to troll.
Why?
Um what do used cigarettes and a common salty snack have to do with the crowds at PI? :))

Master Gracey

Original Poster
As I always say, no matter what the naysayers may think, the return of our beloved Club is not a far fetched possibility. Yes the artifacts may not be inside 5189 Hill St., but they still are on WDW Property and can be returned at any moment. The items that have been sold were only chairs, tables and other such replaceable stuff. But I digress and give to you another Christmas moment from Merriweather Pleasure'd earthbound treehouse!

jt04

Well, the concept died the minute they took down the gates and allowed in children.

Family environments and adult environments just dont work well together.

WDW is for families. Any PI type rebuild should be placed far from mixed-use areas and not right next to them. Unfortunately they did not realize this, or did not care when designing the concept and therefore it was doomed from day 1. Decent concept but in the entirely wrong location, location, location.

And I will remind all of you haters out there that I still advocate for the AC to reopen at DTD. I think that would work and is not inconsistent with a mixed-use 'lifestyle center'. Shame it was built in the miidle of PI. If it had gone into the Marketplace or West End areas when it was built it would likely still be open. IMO.

PhotoDave219

WDW is for families. Any PI type rebuild should be placed far from mixed-use areas and not right next to them. Unfortunately they did not realize this, or did not care when designing the concept and therefore it was doomed from day 1. Decent concept but in the entirely wrong location, location, location.

It was doomed the minute you mixed the two environments. When you had a bubble or an "Island" (whoa, imagine that! {Kate, we have to go back!}) the two were able to coexist. But the minute they took the gates down to try to drive street sales, it went to hell.

wdw71fan

I think we can all agree, that the biggest issue is that it was ultimately in 'the middle'... Had PI been on the end (which, yes, I know.. it was) then things would likely be different today.. Ultimately the Mixed use west end is one of the things that killed PI.. there was no flow after that.. if PI was placed in the Phase III section of DtD, it would be better suited.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think we can all agree, that the biggest issue is that it was ultimately in 'the middle'... Had PI been on the end (which, yes, I know.. it was) then things would likely be different today.. Ultimately the Mixed use west end is one of the things that killed PI.. there was no flow after that.. if PI was placed in the Phase III section of DtD, it would be better suited.
Quite correct. From what I understand there was a proposal to build a walkway over the water to bypass PI and leave it gated. That idea was of course rejected due to the cost. Had that walkway been build PI might still be in operation.

71jason

Have you heard of Food & Wine? The international drinking festival in the same park as the cartoon purple dragon and the Nemo ride?

The gates worked. While the concept was damaged by removing them, it still worked (and works) to an extent without them. Have you noticed the surviving businesses on PI? An Irish pub and a tequila bar, with a new bar/de factor club going into West Side. WDW is for everyone, even people who enjoy nightlife.

71jason

It was doomed the minute you mixed the two environments. When you had a bubble or an "Island" (whoa, imagine that! {Kate, we have to go back!}) the two were able to coexist. But the minute they took the gates down to try to drive street sales, it went to hell.

I agree it didn't help, was definitely the first step toward oblivion. But the cuts to live entertainment and the fact the clubs were allowed to grow "stale" I think ultimately did more damage.

Polydweller

Quite correct. From what I understand there was a proposal to build a walkway over the water to bypass PI and leave it gated. That idea was of course rejected due to the cost. Had that walkway been build PI might still be in operation.
A little confused, was this different than the walkway they did build. It ran across the waterway from the PI east side entrance, past Planet Hollywood and exited just beyond the PI west entrance. Used it many times when PI was gated but they took it out rapidly when PI became undated.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
A little confused, was this different than the walkway they did build. It ran across the waterway from the PI east side entrance, past Planet Hollywood and exited just beyond the PI west entrance. Used it many times when PI was gated but they took it out rapidly when PI became undated.
Yes. This information is something like 9th hand so take it for what its worth, but the walkway would have been a boardwalk style walkway over the lake. It would have been wide enough to take the traffic as well as support some kiosks. From what I understand the idea did not make it past the brainstorming session.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
WDW is for families.

Families stay at WDW and in the Orlando area for extended periods of time and surprisingly, many of them have adults. Your argument presumes that the whole family unit stays together the entire vacation.

Polydweller

Yes. This information is something like 9th hand so take it for what its worth, but the walkway would have been a boardwalk style walkway over the lake. It would have been wide enough to take the traffic as well as support some kiosks. From what I understand the idea did not make it past the brainstorming session.
Ah, first I heard of that one, sounds a bit like Boardwalk. To provide a good link between Downtown and West Side they woud have needed something user friendly like that. Might have helped save PI if they had had done it. The path they made wasn't all that friendly and a bit hard to find.

Cobra B.

Forgive the lack of responses here. I rarely put 2 cents in. But I had what I always thought was a good idea since PI was shut. I think the ESPN Club is in a very bad location (for an ESPN Club). I always thought this would be perfect at WWoS or at Downtown. I also thought it would be good to move AC to the current ESPN Club and convert it to a full night club experience with a cover charge, salons, library, etc. Or move Jelly Rolls to the ESPN Club site and put AC in Jelly Rolls (in what I think?? is a larger site). Or just move both JR and Atlantic Dance out and put AC to one side and the Comedy Warehouse to the other.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom