Save the Adventurers Club

Master Gracey

Original Poster
What is Christmas time without those wonderful, almost TV-special like, heartwarming moments when two people who don't quite see eye to eye, set aside their diferences and come together for a classic Christmas song. Well, Adventurers, that is what happened one night at the Club, when Otis T. Wren decided to tell Emil Blehall what happened to his pigeons after that evening's Balderdash Cup.​

71jason

Forgive the lack of responses here. I rarely put 2 cents in. But I had what I always thought was a good idea since PI was shut. I think the ESPN Club is in a very bad location (for an ESPN Club). I always thought this would be perfect at WWoS or at Downtown. I also thought it would be good to move AC to the current ESPN Club and convert it to a full night club experience with a cover charge, salons, library, etc. Or move Jelly Rolls to the ESPN Club site and put AC in Jelly Rolls (in what I think?? is a larger site). Or just move both JR and Atlantic Dance out and put AC to one side and the Comedy Warehouse to the other.

I agree ESPN would be a better fit at DTD--especially if it was a larger venue (maybe an extra floor that could be closed off or something).

But as for a nightlife district made up of just the AC and CW--good if all guests were fanbois who don't drink Starbucks and are afraid to set foot in a dance club, but not realistic otherwise. The AC was never designed to be an all-night attraction. In fact, for years Library shows exited outside the building. That's why the writers avoided any overarching plot to the night's shows. Same goes for CW. The whole reason those clubs worked was as a part of a larger nightlife experience. There simply aren't enough hard-core AC fans to support a full time venue.

Remember, online fan communities are not the real world. The AC has an active 4-year-old thread here, 8 -Traxx does not ... but 8-Traxx was the most profitable bar per square foot in the country. In the real world, one was clearly more popular than the other.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I agree ESPN would be a better fit at DTD--especially if it was a larger venue (maybe an extra floor that could be closed off or something).

But as for a nightlife district made up of just the AC and CW--good if all guests were fanbois who don't drink Starbucks and are afraid to set foot in a dance club, but not realistic otherwise. The AC was never designed to be an all-night attraction. In fact, for years Library shows exited outside the building. That's why the writers avoided any overarching plot to the night's shows. Same goes for CW. The whole reason those clubs worked was as a part of a larger nightlife experience. There simply aren't enough hard-core AC fans to support a full time venue.

Remember, online fan communities are not the real world. The AC has an active 4-year-old thread here, 8 -Traxx does not ... but 8-Traxx was the most profitable bar per square foot in the country. In the real world, one was clearly more popular than the other.
As a night club you are 100% correct. I always thought that the AC would be much better suited and far more profitable as a dinner show like Hoop De Do.

Master Gracey

Original Poster
Just saw that Hathaway Browne posted this over at the "Save the Adventurers Club" Facebook group:

Kungaloosh Adventurers,

Can you believe it? The Disney Parks Blog is tooting this year's New Years Eve plans for Downtown Disney, and they completely forgot to mention the bash planned at the Adventurers Club, like it was closed or something! Merriweather Pleasure's and the Funmeister's love for New Years Eve should not be ignored, so I say that we should all visit the blog and let them know about their grievous oversight!

Your Man,
Hathaway Browne

KitchenKabaret

If its true that 8Traxx was the most profitable bar in the country, and I don't doubt it, why did Disney close it? I've never understood why Disney shuttered Pleasure Island.

Mouse Detective

If its true that 8Traxx was the most profitable bar in the country, and I don't doubt it, why did Disney close it? I've never understood why Disney shuttered Pleasure Island.

They closed 8TRAX with all the PI clubs because they thought they could make even more money leasing the spaces to third parties to operate shops and restaurants. We're still waiting for the first one.

Nmoody1

There is no way that 8trax was the most profitable bar in the country.... Maybe the county?! Have you been to Vegas where people spend thousands of dollars on tables/champagne and lines can be literally hundreds of people long?

The fact of the matter is, as much as anyone Denys it, PI was busy on cast member nights, Fridays, Saturday's..l. That's abou it!! I love the adventurers club, like man on here. I was also a fan of 8trax and CW - many mondayand Thursday's spent there in my youth! I always thought that Boardwalk would have benefited being more of a night time destination - adding bus transport links and building up clubs/stores/restaurants and fantasia gardens - the 5 hotels would feed, people leaving oth DHS and EPCOT would also help and the high percentage of vacation club return avellers who have more time to spend doing leisurely activities on their vacation would have fuelled a great money maker.

Alas, we are left with the very sad looking PI - what I'd gve for a night of explosion dancers, confetti and midnight fireworks! I think it's an awful waste of a space, and a shame that an adventurers club style restaurant can't be ou in, with a sinle dance club, comedy warehouse, splitsville and maybe an admits only type restaurant (palo, Remy etc)

71jason

There is no way that 8trax was the most profitable bar in the country.... Maybe the county?! Have you been to Vegas where people spend thousands of dollars on tables/champagne and lines can be literally hundreds of people long?

Per square foot. Cavernous clubs with huge dance floors and VIP areas make money, too. But we're talking a lot of money in a small area.

My point remains, 8-Traxx (and Mannequins and Motion) were the E-tickets; AdvClub was a beloved C-ticket, like the PeopleMover or the Tiki Room.

The fact of the matter is, as much as anyone Denys it, PI was busy on cast member nights, Fridays, Saturday's..l. That's abou it!!

The last few years, I agree. But in the late 90s/early 00s, every night of the week was busy. Even in the "end times," when a major convention was in town, the place could be packed on a Tuesday. A fresh update would definitely have helped.

Alas, we are left with the very sad looking PI - what I'd gve for a night of explosion dancers, confetti and midnight fireworks!

Complete agreement here

71jason

As a night club you are 100% correct. I always thought that the AC would be much better suited and far more profitable as a dinner show like Hoop De Do.

Don't get me wrong, it made money as a nightclub. More than it probably would have if you had to factor in lower margin items like food and higher expenses like a full kitchen staff. And I think it would definitely have a place in any larger nighttime entertainment area. But it needs to be a part of the area, not the area itself.

bigeternity

Don't get me wrong, it made money as a nightclub. More than it probably would have if you had to factor in lower margin items like food and higher expenses like a full kitchen staff. And I think it would definitely have a place in any larger nighttime entertainment area. But it needs to be a part of the area, not the area itself.

Agreed.

Master Gracey

Original Poster
Otis T. wren is not a fan if Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer! Who knew? He has gone to great lengths to prevent Hathaway Browne from singing this time honored Christmas favorite. Let us see if Otis succeeds!

asianway

Otis T. wren is not a fan if Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer! Who knew? He has gone to great lengths to prevent Hathaway Browne from singing this time honored Christmas favorite. Let us see if Otis succeeds!

Did Otis get a part time job at ASCAP? Is that the real reason we dont have Country Bear Christmas anymore?

jt04

*sigh*
Warms my heart. Merry Christmas, Colonel...

Mice age has some pics of Mystic Manor and some background on the architecture. Heh.

Anyway, if this is potentially the start of bigger and better things for the 'franchise' then all I can say is WOW!

PhotoDave219

Well..... AdvClub's biggest problem was the regulars - like me. The people who would come and have one drink and stay the entire night, spending very little money and occupying valuable seats.

And the goddammed strollers. Honestly, who wants to drink around children?

71jason

Well..... AdvClub's biggest problem was the regulars - like me. The people who would come and have one drink and stay the entire night, spending very little money and occupying valuable seats.

And the goddammed strollers. Honestly, who wants to drink around children?

You'd be surprised the number of regulars who dropped decent chunks of change in there--and many were good at bringing new people (say, out of town guests) into the Club.. I don't know that this was an issue until the Club became the CP hang-out. Honestly, the number of "regulars" on any given night wasn't that huge until they announced the closing anyway--as anyone who was ever in there on a slow Sunday in the off-season can tell you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom