Rumours Circulating Mine Train Coaster Could be Cancelled!!!

boufa

I'm so disapointed, how sad Disney... the film clip clearly only showed enough room for seating 1 person, no lap bar, no front light... how are they going to hook up the AA deer to the front of my car, and how much will they pay a cast member to pick up the gems each time the ride goes through and they jump out of the back of the car.... :lol:

The interesting part of those pictures is that the wheel system, and by extension the track system seem to be locked down by the mechanical engineers, and non-negotiable. It is a leap of logic, but it could mean that a) that is the agreed design with the team working on the track, or b) the track is actually being fabricated and thus the undercarriage of the ride vehicles can no longer be changed. That my friends is the real proof of the seriousness of their intention to build the ride.. that certain parts are BEYOND the concept stage.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Judging from these pictures it is easy to see how they could be having design problems. It seems to me that a swinging car is going to but a huge amount of extra pressure on the undercarriage of these vehicles. Could it be that the extra force that needs to be accounted for is what is responsible for the very expensive price tag?

raven

Judging from these pictures it is easy to see how they could be having design problems. It seems to me that a swinging car is going to but a huge amount of extra pressure on the undercarriage of these vehicles. Could it be that the extra force that needs to be accounted for is what is responsible for the very expensive price tag?

I'm sure the curves will be banked as well to compensate for this.

Buried20KLeague

I agree that landscaping can save the project. I think it was/is ideal that you don't see past the castle walls easily except for the forced perspective elements high on the very distant horizon and then only occasional glimpses. That would have the effect of creating a great sense of depth and motivate guests to jouney through the forest. I really think this is an underutilized 'special effect' in park design. The "passport to dreams" blog wrote a couple years ago that it could or should be a part of the FLE and it should be trendsetting design by the looks of it so far. I am hoping they do the same thing at the former skyway location.

I always thought the north facing side of the original complex would be themed to the 'land' it was facing whether it be Mermaid or BatB making it truly immersive in a manner similar to a World Showcase pavilion. Now I wonder if while standing in these lands guests will see a kids roller coaster with screaming guests thereby ruining the immersive atmosphere of the mini-lands. That would be a shame. Simple solution is to build the mountain over much of the track or enclose as much track as possible. Since it is a ride in a mine that only makes sense anyway.

I would expect the back of the attraction (facing mermaid) to be finished in the same sort of way BTMRR is finished on the back side at Disneyland, on the pathway from FL past the BBQ place... There's no slope to it at all... It's just basically a themed wall. I picture the same here. Probably a rock/stone themed wall.

I don't think they'll have the space, nor MONEY, to make a full "moutain" on each side. I expect a well-themed front of a ride building, heavily sloping themed sides and a mostly flat-backed building.

And I actually agree that it might mess with sightlines and feel "plopped in the middle" of everything.

But if the attraction is worth it, I can deal with the shoe-horned in feeling.

MotherOfBirds

I would expect the back of the attraction (facing mermaid) to be finished in the same sort of way BTMRR is finished on the back side at Disneyland, on the pathway from FL past the BBQ place... There's no slope to it at all... It's just basically a themed wall. I picture the same here. Probably a rock/stone themed wall.

I don't think they'll have the space, nor MONEY, to make a full "moutain" on each side. I expect a well-themed front of a ride building, heavily sloping themed sides and a mostly flat-backed building.

And I actually agree that it might mess with sightlines and feel "plopped in the middle" of everything.

I don't think they'd do that. At the very least, there would be heavy vegetation and trees planted in front of any walls or ugly bits of the building. I figured that they would build the showbuilding, lay the track, and then cover the building in rockwork to make it look natural and fit in with the rest of FLF.

AS for being "plopped in the middle", I don't feel like it will come off that way when it's done. BatB has rocky mountains and trees on the left and so will the mine train, so I think that the path between the two will be more like a valley.

And since they're going with the idea of a forest, I bet there will be plenty of trees and dense foliage to fill in empty or weird space to make it feel more like a forest.

Rob562

How would it affect sightlines when the original Tremaine house and hill behind it (to hide the show building) would've been plopped in that plot of land anyway?

If anything, it might make certain parts of the project *more* visible from a distance... (Unless those increased views were what you were talking about)

-Rob

raven

How would it affect sightlines when the original Tremaine house and hill behind it (to hide the show building) would've been plopped in that plot of land anyway?

If anything, it might make certain parts of the project *more* visible from a distance... (Unless those increased views were what you were talking about)

-Rob

It isn't necessary to see all aspects of the expansion upon walking into Fantasyland, is it? Can you see all of AK the moment you walk through the gates? Walt did this first with the train station on Main Street. It was built in a way to reviel more and more as you progress through until you come around the corner and see the castle. So sightlines really don't come into play here as this attraction will look more like a hill in the forground. There will also be a lot of trees planted around the hill as well.

As for the backside of the hill, it will be fabricated into usable buildings (outdoor foods, shops, etc.) that will blend into the hill and rocks. The main reason for this is to cover the vehicle maintenance area and also allow for access to remove the vehicles.

aladdin2007

It isn't necessary to see all aspects of the expansion upon walking into Fantasyland, is it? Can you see all of AK the moment you walk through the gates? Walt did this first with the train station on Main Street. It was built in a way to reviel more and more as you progress through until you come around the corner and see the castle. So sightlines really don't come into play here as this attraction will look more like a hill in the forground. There will also be a lot of trees planted around the hill as well.

As for the backside of the hill, it will be fabricated into usable buildings (outdoor foods, shops, etc.) that will blend into the hill and rocks. The main reason for this is to cover the vehicle maintenance area and also allow for access to remove the vehicles.

True and Im sure over time trees and landscaping will become taller and thicker.

Buried20KLeague

It isn't necessary to see all aspects of the expansion upon walking into Fantasyland, is it?

Not necessarily, no. But I would think that the focal point as you came through the castle would want to be Mermaid... The huge, elaborate building and water feature and everything else, basically beckoning people to that back corner. The "anchor" of the whole land.

Like Splash from Liberty Square, for example.

Or American Adventure from Future World.

And maybe it's just that imagineers decided that wasn't as important as putting another ride/attraction in the project at the 11th hour. I'd be okay with that. I'm just simply thinking out loud.

I just wonder if somewhere in the halls of Glendale, somebody is sipped because this mine train will mess up the view they had invisioned.

raven

Not necessarily, no. But I would think that the focal point as you came through the castle would want to be Mermaid... The huge, elaborate building and water feature and everything else, basically beckoning people to that back corner. The "anchor" of the whole land.

Actually, as of right now, the Beast's Castle is already the focal point. But then how does Matterhorn look from Tomorrowland or from Main Street? Sometimes you have to use your imagination a little. Otherwise a LOT of attractions and buildings wouldn't be in Disney parks right now.

Buried20KLeague

Actually, as of right now, the Beast's Castle is already the focal point. But then how does Matterhorn look from Tomorrowland or from Main Street? Sometimes you have to use your imagination a little. Otherwise a LOT of attractions and buildings wouldn't be in Disney parks right now.

It's interesting you say Beast's Castle is the focal point, at least currently. I didn't really see the Queen of Hearts' Castle in Tokyo as the focal point, and it's basically the exact same concept.

Then again there were other things to draw attention nearby. ISAW and their HM. Just like Mermaid will be in WDW's FL.

It'll be interesting how it all blends. Or maybe in some ways, how it clashes.

Magenta Panther

Sorry Lee for not sharing with you first, but I'm throwing the wolves a bone.

Did some searching and dug up an example to show everyone that everything is still a go. These are as of the begining of June this year:

Ride vehicle research study photo (from the movie)
005.jpg

Ride vehicle (concept only)
002.jpg

Full scale foam mock up
003.jpg

OH MY GOD I LOVE THIS DESIGN!!!! Especially the lantern out front!

Thank you, Lee. This has sent my spirits soaring. (Say that 3 times fast :p) Really, this looks like classic Disney magic. I can't wait to see more images, if any are forthcoming. If they're as elegant as this, then we Disney purists haven't a thing to worry about concerning the FLE. :sohappy:

MotherOfBirds

I concur, Magenta :) The concept sketch looks really nice and I'm grateful for the split lap bars. I'm a bit more petite, so when I go on rides with normal-sized people, I usually end up sliding around :lol:

raven

It'll be interesting how it all blends. Or maybe in some ways, how it clashes.

You're not the only one that questions attractions before they open. People have been doing it here for years. But let's wait until it's unvailed first. We're still over a year away before the first phase even opens.

Scuttle

You're not the only one that questions attractions before they open. People have been doing it here for years. But let's wait until it's unvailed first. We're still over a year away before the first phase even opens.

I'm not questioning it. This ride sounds incredible. I know everyone keeps saying it's only a d ticket and this and that, and that it won't have any "wow" factor to it. I think it will totally have a wow factor to it. The ride vehicles look great and have gotten my hope up even higher. Im not a thrill junkie by any means, but I do hope it has a couple steep drops in the dark or some twisting turns in the dark. Raven any info if the ride still is going to have two chain lifts? I know lee was eluding that the track and design have changed.

raven

I'm not questioning it. This ride sounds incredible. I know everyone keeps saying it's only a d ticket and this and that, and that it won't have any "wow" factor to it. I think it will totally have a wow factor to it. The ride vehicles look great and have gotten my hope up even higher. Im not a thrill junkie by any means, but I do hope it has a couple steep drops in the dark or some twisting turns in the dark. Raven any info if the ride still is going to have two chain lifts? I know lee was eluding that the track and design have changed.

They are taking great lengths to keep the scenery as true to the movie as possible and I think people will be very glad they did. As for the thrill factor, this is Fantasyland, which is a little more kid oriented. It will have a couple of hills and curves but nothing scarier than Barnstormer.

Yes, it has 2 lifts. The first one outside and the second one inside the mine.

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Original Poster
They are taking great lengths to keep the scenery as true to the movie as possible and I think people will be very glad they did. As for the thrill factor, this is Fantasyland, which is a little more kid oriented. It will have a couple of hills and curves but nothing scarier than Barnstormer.

Yes, it has 2 lifts. The first one outside and the second one inside the mine.

This is sounding great!

Thanks for the pics and for squashing any doubt of the rides future :wave:

Buried20KLeague

Hey, now... I'm not condemning, by any stretch. Just making conversation.

Now... If you want to talk about Hyperion Wharf... :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom