Rumor: Monsters Coaster at MGM

lwalker8

I think speaking in absolutes is idiotic, especially when you're only guessing. :shrug:

I'm sure there are only a handful of people in the universe who know whether or not this attraction will be built, and I am willing to bet the 3 of you are not those people.

The only idiocy going on here is the discussion of this idea for the 50 millionth time since the movie came out with the scene that should obviously be made into a roller coaster...

And for the record, I tend to doubt that there is anyone in the universe who knows this will be built. But I do know it shouldn't be built, as cool as it may sound in your heads. There will be many more Pixar films which will be better suited for attractions coming out very soon. These are the ones that will be built in the Studios. Not the same old rumored Monster's Inc idea that keeps coming back. So here's to starting rumors about Cars and Wall-E rides!:wave:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I remember that little quiet Living Seas...my brother and I loved the movie we always thought the narration was great...and for the longest time I always believed you were really going down below lol...ha I was such a fool lol But ya if they really wanted to update it I think would have been cool to put some Little mermaid referance, better singer...no point in creating any new songs...But then of course if they did make it people would be mad because there was the show at MGM... I know its an annoying statement but..you just can't make everyone happy... ever..

And it rained upon that planet. :)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
The only idiocy going on here is the discussion of this idea for the 50 millionth time since the movie came out with the scene that should obviously be made into a roller coaster...

And for the record, I tend to doubt that there is anyone in the universe who knows this will be built. But I do know it shouldn't be built, as cool as it may sound in your heads. There will be many more Pixar films which will be better suited for attractions coming out very soon. These are the ones that will be built in the Studios. Not the same old rumored Monster's Inc idea that keeps coming back. So here's to starting rumors about Cars and Wall-E rides!:wave:

Difference being this was mentioned by a reputable source this time. It's actually being looked at, not some crazy fanboy dream.

Will it happen? Dunno, but it's in the running.

If we didn't discuss things that had been brought up before and then deemed merely rumor, we'd not have discussed the Wand coming down - which happened despite every good source saying it wouldn't at some point.

Factuality with Disney is fluid.

JLW11Hi

With John Lasseter running around and eyeing up new attraction ideas, I'd be surprised if this idea wasn't currently on the table. I gotta believe that everyone who saw/made that film had a ride in mind when they saw the door scene.

dreamlives1984

If you think about it, every single attraction at Walt Disney World that is considered a thrill-type attraction, is based off an original idea incorporating an existing theme or story treatment.

Space Mountain
Splash Mountain (obviously based off of the Song of the South, Uncle Remus: His Songs and Sayings)
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
the late and much missed, Alien Encounter

Mission Space
Test Track
Soarin'

The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Rock 'N' Roller Coaster

Expedition Everest
Countdown to Extinction
Kali River Rapids

See the trend? I'm not saying that Disney would never base a thrill-type attraction on one of their or Pixar's beloved films. But seeing as this entire discussion is based on one or more persons' thoughts of a rumor, I really would like to see it dismissed. It's just ridiculous, a pipe dream of sorts. While I agree with you folks irritated at me, that I shouldn't ever guarantee the probability of it not happening, I disagree that you should be so hard-pressed to see this thing happen.

As fellow dreamers, hopefully doers and most certainly, in my opinion Respected thinkers, I would hope that our boards be used for purposes more proactive in truly seeing Walt's vision. This is still Walt's dream and Walt's company, dead or alive. There are so many moderators and members on these boards that are somewhat and somehow connected to the company, why not rant on truly original ideas that will truly bring the company back to what it was founded for.

"Adults are interested if you don't play down to the little 2 or 3 year olds or talk down. I don't believe in talking down to children. I don't believe in talking down to any certain segment. I like to kind of just talk in a general way to the audience. Children are always reaching." - Walt Disney

This is, to me, what the original EPCOT really stood for. It was a place where children and parents could "laugh, play and learn together". It has become a place to prostitute Disney's most successful films and make loads on merchandise (not on a whole, but we see a largely growing trend throughout the resorts and parks).

"We have created characters and animated them in the dimension of depth, revealing through them to our perturbed world that the things we have in common far outnumber and outweigh those that divide us." - Walt Disney

Let's think a little deeper and a little more globally. Disney has influence, power and definite responsibility to teach through their amazing creative flair and the spectacular technological advances that are at their hands.

Just because attractions with thrill are highly in demand, attested somewhat to humanities waning attention abilities, does not mean that they cannot or should not be somewhat educational or effective in moving a person(s). Let's think Test Track, Mission Space and the environmentally aware Kali River Rapids/Expedition Everest attractions.

~Chris

JLW11Hi

I'm all for original attraction ideas. Check out the Imagineering section!

But if there was one place that makes sence to capitalize on pre-existing Disney films, its the studios. Especially the newly opening Pixar Place.

I do believe that there is still room for original ideas even here, though. I have anxiously been awaiting a 1930's gangster ride forever! Maybe someday...:)

It does seem that the very best attractions are the most original ones whether based on previous Disney stories or not;the reign of spontaneity is a great thing for cranking out amazing attractions. :D
:D
:D

GenerationX

FINALLY!!! :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Somebody figured it out!!!

BRAVO to UKLAD for being the first one catch on!

Take one new-technology "Peter Pan" ride, add a little "Monsters" theming and Disney magic...and POOF! The best new kids coaster in the country!

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:
Precisely. While the other visions of this rumored ride could come true, this variation is the most logical. Also, I agree that this would make a great ride!

DisneyMusician2

The debate should not be is a Monsters coaster OK becasue it is Pixar (which it is definately), if it will work (which it will) or all of the great ideas, but..

Whether it actually belongs in DHS.

Which to be honest, I don't think it does.

But the Peter Pan concept would certainly be a cool starting point for such a project. :sohappy:

uklad79

FINALLY!!! :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Somebody figured it out!!!

BRAVO to UKLAD for being the first one catch on!

Take one new-technology "Peter Pan" ride, add a little "Monsters" theming and Disney magic...and POOF! The best new kids coaster in the country!

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Thanks. It was what I thought as soon as I read Merfs post, I thought it a little odd that people started thinking of some huge coaster instead of the ride system it uses. I think the problem is someone mentions a coaster system and assume it must be a fast moving system. I think we should use the term "ride system".

GothMickey

Isn't that statement in itself an absolute? Stupid Jedi hypocrites. :lookaroun

I am absolutely sure my statement was an absolute, absolutely.

I think a Monster's Inc coaster would be a fine idea, as long as it isn't a thrill ride, but a new concept dark ride.

I think the problem is someone mentions a coaster system and assume it must be a fast moving system. I think we should use the term "ride system".
I think that's a great idea. It would definately help with the confusion, but you'd still have to draw the line between the two somewhere. Casey Jr. is a coaster, but it's pretty slow moving, yet not as slow as Peter Pan of course. So maybe it would be best said as, "the new attraction will use a ride system similiar to that of a roller coaster, however it will be a slow-moving dark ride." Does that work?

DisneyDefenders

Did I watch a different movie?

If the coaster is based off the doors scene in Monsters Inc...as I recall...those doors were moving pretty fast...thus it would only make sense for this coaster to move fast.

There is PLENTY for children at DHS...Great Movie Ride, Indy, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Star Tours, Backlot Tour, Light's Motor's Action, Animation Tour, coming soon...Toy Story Mania...and whatever they're adding to ABC Studio. The ONLY "adult" rides are RNRC and TOT.

Disney seems to be trying to make DHS into a more teen/young adult park with the move of Night Of Joy to that park and other things being discussed. If they want things like that to be successful...they need to build the types of rides that interests that demo...a fast paced roller coaster ride through the Monster's Inc. door scene seems like just another great way to do that!

kcnole

in all the disney universe what better place to put it?

about a movie? check

places you in a movie? check

a pixar ride in pixar place? check

please tell me a more logical location?

Vernonpush

The debate should not be is a Monsters coaster OK becasue it is Pixar (which it is definately), if it will work (which it will) or all of the great ideas, but..

But the Peter Pan concept would certainly be a cool starting point for such a project. :sohappy:
And you can ride past open doors that use the "screen based technology" that they are so fond of.:lookaroun:lookaroun
( now I'll run and hide :lol:)

If the coaster is based off the doors scene in Monsters Inc...as I recall...those doors were moving pretty fast...thus it would only make sense for this coaster to move fast.

There is PLENTY for children at DHS...Great Movie Ride, Indy, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Star Tours, Backlot Tour, Light's Motor's Action, Animation Tour, coming soon...Toy Story Mania...and whatever they're adding to ABC Studio. The ONLY "adult" rides are RNRC and TOT.

Disney seems to be trying to make DHS into a more teen/young adult park with the move of Night Of Joy to that park and other things being discussed. If they want things like that to be successful...they need to build the types of rides that interests that demo...a fast paced roller coaster ride through the Monster's Inc. door scene seems like just another great way to do that!
Could this be Disney's attempt at making a much smaller version of the Villains park without having to build a new park? You know ... a more teenager geared area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom