Rumor: Monsters Coaster at MGM

PeeplMoovr

I am a WDW Cast member and actually got to see a short video today talking about this new attraction. It was posted on our internal employee website (the Hub) and it was taken down a couple of hours after I watched it. My guess is someone jumped the gun on this, so you should expect a formal announcement soon.

It is a suspended roller coaster based on Monsters Inc like has been rumored. The date given was 2011 (vague) and the location given was at the end of Pixar Place. The concept art looked amazing. The show building looks to be quite large with the facade looking like the scare factory. If I had to guess, the backlot tour will be saying goodbye to accommodate this.

Concept art for a post-ride interactive experience was shown as well.

I don't think Disney is going to disappoint with this one based on the level of detail presented in the concept art. It looks very exciting.

Ditto. This is where I saw it as well. :animwink:

Buried20KLeague

So... If you've seen the concept art that was posted on the hub, you could tell us whether it seemed to be a standard "train" configuration of suspended coaster, or some type of unique design (only two seats, seats facing out, etc).

I'm with the earlier poster that said a standard train setup on a suspended coaster sucks unless you're in the front. I can't imagine Disney would have me staring at steel and people's dangling calves in front of me for 2 minutes, while fleeting glimpses of show scenes fly by.

culturenthrills

To me what would make sense if the building is themed to the Factory is that you are boarding trains to go through a door so humans can see that Monsters aren't that scary anymore. You go on a factory tour and at some point things go out of control and you end up on the door track swooping and diving throught the door warehouse and Mike and Sully save you in the end by getting a door open so you fly back into the human world.

WeLComeHomE OKW

Ditto. This is where I saw it as well. :animwink:

So... If you've seen the concept art that was posted on the hub, you could tell us whether it seemed to be a standard "train" configuration of suspended coaster, or some type of unique design (only two seats, seats facing out, etc).

I agree with Buried20KLeague. Could you give us a general description of what you saw? I know someone said the building looked like the Scare Factory, WHICH IS AWESOME, but, how is the suspended coaster designed? will it be animatronic heavy or fancy animations? does the concept art give any clues?

darthjohnny

I wonder if a coaster like that would be a single rail inverted coaster, similar to how it was in the movie, or more standard inverted track (if the coaster would be inverted at all).

xsupaxmanxsfnex

^Me too. Ever since I was little and saw this movie I said I was going to create a ride like Peter Pan but with the doors instead of pirate ships. I always thought it was cool now that I have a thought that the imagineers did. (well kind of)

Thought I'd add this to the growing list... :animwink:

http://movies.ign.com/articles/896/896104p1.html

UK, August 4, 2008 - The collective clever clogs over at Pixar are hinting that one of their most successful flicks -- Monsters, Inc. -- could soon receive the sequel treatment.

Speaking to MTV, Pete Docter, the director of the original, said, "We've thought about it. We've got a couple of ideas."

He failed to elaborate further, instead saying that much of his team's resources are currently being poured into the forthcoming Monster's, Inc. ride at Walt Disney Resorts.

But with Toy Story 2 outperforming the original at the box office (and inspiring 2009's Toy Story 3) don't be surprised to see Sulley and Mike returning sometime in the future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom