Rumor: Monsters Coaster at MGM

JimboJones123

Six year old ideas can continue to be old Ideas. Yes, they play Monsters Inc on Disney Channel every month, but do they really need to build another attraction around a franchise more than a decade old? I wish they would get some guts and release an attraction and movie around the same time. But then again they would have to come up with a franchise as epic as Shrek to do that. Yeah, I just said they don't have a franchise in the works anywhere near as big as Shrek. I hope many stockholders are reading this!!!!

tomman710

Thank god they have nothing like Shrek coming out. Shrek is god awful, possibly the worst franchise in motion picture history. The first one was terrible and the sequels have gotten worse. This franchise will be forgotten in ten years due to the fact that the writing is poor, the stories are lack luster, and everything about it sorely dates itself. Anyway enough of a rant.

Back to topic ... Monsters Inc. coaster would be good although I'd rather they revisit Indiana Jones and come up with some nice brand new ride concept for that property.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Thank god they have nothing like Shrek coming out. Shrek is god awful, possibly the worst franchise in motion picture history. The first one was terrible and the sequels have gotten worse. This franchise will be forgotten in ten years due to the fact that the writing is poor, the stories are lack luster, and everything about it sorely dates itself. Anyway enough of a rant.

You mean besides the fact that it's wildly popular and even had a Christmas special on ABC (Disney's own network?)

tomman710

Well I don't know anyone that doesn't despise it but obviously the millions of dollars it made means some people out there like it. However, just because it made money doesn't speak to the quality of the product but the dumbing down of mainstream movie going audiences. But that's a topic for another forum.

Lee

Adventurer
Shrek?
Great film. Very funny.

The sequels?
Not so much, and less so each time.

However, just because it made money doesn't speak to the quality of the product but the dumbing down of mainstream movie going audiences.
Borderline offensive to anyone who liked the film....:lookaroun

bigtotoro

Well I don't know anyone that doesn't despise it but obviously the millions of dollars it made means some people out there like it. However, just because it made money doesn't speak to the quality of the product but the dumbing down of mainstream movie going audiences. But that's a topic for another forum.
So sayeth the person with the Swingers one sheet as an avatar.

dolbyman

I'd love to see a ride coaster (like mummy in USF) .. a slow ride sequence with AA and stuff and a fast (launched) mainride and small ride portion at the end (no fake exit needed)

alanbrai

New rumor, fresh out off the mill..

There's talk of a Monsters Inc theme inverted roller coaster going into MGM in 2009-2010. It'd be near Toy Story Mania, and be themed to the door-chase scene.

Salt to taste, enjoy.

Just curious, was wondering which mill this did come out of

I also think this would be a great idea. As some have said DHS does need more thrill rides and an inverted coaster would be a great one to put in.

Being based on Monster's door chase scene? What else is more fitting to an inverted style coaster, I can not think of anything.

Personnally would love to see this happen.

tomman710

So sayeth the person with the Swingers one sheet as an avatar.

Yeaaaaa ... and? Swingers was a critical and financial success and an all around great movie by all accounts that launched the careers of many of the top writers, directors, actors today.

Smart comeback though, way to stay on top of it.

Back to topic ....

bigtotoro

Yeaaaaa ... and? Swingers was a critical and financial success and an all around great movie by all accounts that launched the careers of many of the top writers, directors, actors today.

Smart comeback though, way to stay on top of it.

Back to topic ....
Yes, with a box office gross of a little over $4m, Swingers was a financial success when you consider the production budget of $200k (according to boxofficemojo.com). And with a 75% positive rating at Rotten Tomatoes, it can be considered a critical success as well. It also brought back the whiny, male "mannui" drama, and gave Vince Vaughn his big break...which is something if you like things like that. Meanwhile, Shrek had a worldwide gross of about $485m with a "certified fresh" critic rating of 89%. All accounts WILL vary, I guess.

The idea of a Monsters, Inc. coaster appeals to me if only to see the anti-Pixar folks here get worked into a frenzy. Always good for a laugh, they are. I'm curious to see if Disney will take the leap into a real hardcore coaster. Especially with all the issues of people dropping dead (through no fault of their's) in the last few years. I think a Ratatouille "wild mouse" coaster is much more likely.

hauntdmansion79

Just wanted to throw my opinion into the mix here.

1.) Monsters Inc. door chase scene is a really good fit for an inverted coaster idea, it's kind of a no brainer setup.
2.) Ratatouille would be a neat theme for a coaster too, if it took place inside the kitchen, with mass chaos around you.
3.) I would want Disney to use a lot of detail for this ride. AAs, elaborate sets, both 2D and 3D special effects. I would rather see a tamer coaster that was really themed than a 30 second super thrill ride.
4.) Shrek was OK. It was popular because it was an animated film with adult humor and had a lot of A-list voice actors. But I don't know anyone personally that still likes the franchise or thinks to watch the movies more than once.
5.) The only reason I'm OK with yet another Pixar attraction is because it is going in Pixar Place at DHS, which is the perfect place. I've always thought Pixar rides go great with MGM. I only get slightly irritated when they pop up at the other parks so often.

Always good for a laugh, they are.
Sounds like Yoda speaking. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom