Rumor: Monsters Coaster at MGM

Enigma

Account Suspended
I'm going to have to agree with my brother. While I agree that it would be deliciously fun to ride a flying door through a monster scream-into-energy factory, it just doesn't make sense. It's not enough to give any reason to make an attraction, let alone a high-speed coaster at that! Thrill rides aren't necessarily the best way to tell stories. Normally (with a few exceptions), the story lies within the pre-show and just in the feelings that are emoted from the "thrills" themselves.

I really don't think the Imagineers are banking on enough people getting excited over riding on flying doors through the Monster's Inc factory.

It wont be a "high speed coaster" it would be something along the lines of big thunder/space mountain except the track is above you and there are show scenes and special effects to look at while you speed/ride through the adventure. Sounds like a good idea for the Studios park...just please no video screens or digital projections please.

lwalker8

My issue isn't that the storyline itself doesn't lend itself to a roller coaster, because it's quite obvious that it does. Rather, the movie is aimed at an age group that is too young to ride an attraction such as this one.

In fact, I can personally promise you all right now that this rumor is false. I will bet you my life. And this is why...Picture this new attraction, a Monster's Inc. ride has opened. All the children see the Monster's Inc signs and immediately want to ride. Then their parents inform them that Disney has designed a coaster with a theme which appeals first and foremost to children that they cannot ride. Bad marketing, bad idea, won't be done. ever ever ever...promise.:cool:

Rayray

My issue isn't that the storyline itself doesn't lend itself to a roller coaster, because it's quite obvious that it does. Rather, the movie is aimed at an age group that is too young to ride an attraction such as this one.

In fact, I can personally promise you all right now that this rumor is false. I will bet you my life. And this is why...Picture this new attraction, a Monster's Inc. ride has opened. All the children see the Monster's Inc signs and immediately want to ride. Then their parents inform them that Disney has designed a coaster with a theme which appeals first and foremost to children that they cannot ride. Bad marketing, bad idea, won't be done. ever ever ever...promise.:cool:

I don't think Merf is reffering to a full-blown inverted coaster, but rather a lighter, more kid friendly mini-inverted coaster. Think of it as Thunder Mountain with the track above you- it certainly would provide ample room for detailed vistas.

I could understand why alot of you would see this as a bad idea, but I think we are talking about a low intensity ride here, if the rumor is true.

rcapolete

i have a 4yr old who love Monster Inc and love roller coasters. An inverted coaster that is along the thrill level of BtM is perfect for kids like my ds. He would love it if he could ride a coaster based on the door scene. As other have said not all inverted coaster go upside down. He rode BtM 3 time in Sept and loved it.

polarboi

But is it really necessary to keep reusing the same movies over and over again in different attractions?

Nemo has the entire Seas pavilion at Epcot, including both the seacabs and Turtle Talk, and a big stage show at AK (not to mention the subs in California)...

Toy Story has Space Ranger Spin, the Pizza Planet/Al's Toy Barn area, Woody's Roundup, and the new TSM...

Monsters Inc. already has the Laugh Floor at MK and a dark ride in California; do we really need one more Monsters Inc. attraction in the parks?

I'm all for theming attractions to movies, and I don't have anything against Pixar like some folks do. They're part of Disney now, after all, and they've been very successful. But I start feeling burned out on some of these movies when I experience them again and again and again in various attractions! There are plenty of Disney classics with no attractions at all, and plenty of ideas to be explored outside of Disney's animated film library.

-p.b. :cool:

dizpins14

Disney would do something like that because they already have. Stitch's Great Escape is based on a children's movie however it has a 36 inch height requirement and some kids find it scary. It's not that bad of an idea for Disney because it makes kids want to come back and ride those rides when they are taller.

JonnyK

a week ago i saw some Disney workers or possibly imagneers, leaving at one of the studios (abc studio/theater?) if i recall, so im assuming that would be the home of the new "rumor" coaster is going into, no wonder why the meet and greet for monsters inc is at the far corner end of the abc studio.

cmatt

i like the idea of this... i think people have presumed the worst and think it will be a thrill based, high octane, ride... I

invisage a simplistic inverted coaster... :)

StageFrenzy

a week ago i saw some Disney workers or possibly imagneers, leaving at one of the studios (abc studio/theater?) if i recall, so im assuming that would be the home of the new "rumor" coaster is going into, no wonder why the meet and greet for monsters inc is at the far corner end of the abc studio.

The Abc theater is already rumored to be under development for a new show. (i haven't heard about any monsters in there)

The fact that Monsters is located in the back of the abc theater is purely coincidental.

DisneyMusician2

I guess I'm going to put my butt in the sling and say that I don't think the Studios needs a coaster of any kind.

It needs to get back to the whole Hollywood Studios theming of its name.

The conversation to be had is not whether a Monsters coaster is a quality ride concept, but whether that quality ride concept belongs in DHS to begin with..:cool:

Disneyfanman

Great scott.

With the location of TSM, and the seemingly stoic-ness of the hat, I can just see them gutting the GMR building, killing off the chinese theatre facade altogether, and using the old GMR building as the indoor housing for such a coaster. The new entrance of course would be across the way from TSM (that's the GMR show building on the left).

Nothing lasts forever in the cold november rain...

oh wait, it's december.

Hopefully any of these rumors will NOT come true at the expense of the GMR. It's one of the things that's classically "Disney" to me. We sometimes park hop over there to do just the GMR and Fantasmic, or the GMR, TOT, and Fantasmic, or etc. Add roller coasters all you want (I will ride them until I am 80!) but keep the experiences that involve everyone, and especially the ones that are unique to WDW. Everyone from junior to Grandpa can go on the GMR, and that's one of the things that keeps all of us coming back.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Why not? They already did it in Paris with Crush's Coaster based on another kid-friendly Pixar movie...

Swoosh

But is it really necessary to keep reusing the same movies over and over again in different attractions?

Monsters Inc. already has the Laugh Floor at MK and a dark ride in California; do we really need one more Monsters Inc. attraction in the parks?

First we complain about not having enough attractions at DHS and now we complain when an attraction might be added. Sheesh make up your f'n minds people. Is there a MonstersInc themed ride at Studios yet? No! Build a bridge and get over it. Mickey is at all 4 parks and that doesn't seem to bother you. This is really no different.

csm

I'm going to have to agree with my brother. While I agree that it would be deliciously fun to ride a flying door through a monster scream-into-energy factory, it just doesn't make sense. It's not enough to give any reason to make an attraction, let alone a high-speed coaster at that! Thrill rides aren't necessarily the best way to tell stories. Normally (with a few exceptions), the story lies within the pre-show and just in the feelings that are emoted from the "thrills" themselves.

I really don't think the Imagineers are banking on enough people getting excited over riding on flying doors through the Monster's Inc factory.

I have several pages of concept art on my computer that would suggest otherwise.

Thing is, I've had it for a while now, and it wasn't specifically designed for D/MGM (not that that really matters, I suppose). DCA was to be the original recipiant.

dreamlives1984

Jaded

Okay, I kind of decided that a lot of you are either 15 years old, or insane. Monster's Inc Magical Flying Doors is not going to happen - ever. I can guarantee that to you right this very minute. Do I have proof? No. I don't, but I have more than half a brain and every once and a while I decide to use it. Crush's coaster, is a completely different situation at a completely different, not to mention fairly new, park.

I think another thing to think about, is the scene that we are discussing itself. The flying doors in Monster's Inc. These are doors. How many riders are going to be riding each door. Even more importantly, how is imagineering going to plausibly have a flying "door" that seats more than two people. Sounds like it wouldn't be flying doorways anymore. It really just doesn't make any sense at all.

As for comparisons with Stitch??? Come on, the height requirement argument? I worked at the Barnstormer and every third parent would flip out because their shorter than average, or braver than average age kid, wouldn't be able to ride. If they were going to build any Monster's Inc attraction at the parks at this point, it would be a dark ride.

So, it's not going to happen. You guys all get excited about one idea that was not thought out to well and believe it to be true.

FECNS

A Monsters Inc coaster would be alot better than a Rattatoue coaster but i would think the Monster one would be close to the Primal Whirl one at Animal Kingdom thats my Guess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom