Rumor: Monsters Coaster at MGM

Joepic

awesome! this is great to hear! I had an idea for this ever since I saw the movie. It's just great to hear that someone else thinks the same.

PKD

Any one have a link to this video!?!?!?

Said rumored video was only avail for a very short time on the Cast Member Hub (Internal internet/info database) If the video was posted on the hub, it isn't something you can download to keep for yourself and share later.

I am a WDW Cast member and actually got to see a short video today talking about this new attraction. It was posted on our internal employee website (the Hub) and it was taken down a couple of hours after I watched it. My guess is someone jumped the gun on this, so you should expect a formal announcement soon.

It is a suspended roller coaster based on Monsters Inc like has been rumored. The date given was 2011 (vague) and the location given was at the end of Pixar Place. The concept art looked amazing. The show building looks to be quite large with the facade looking like the scare factory. If I had to guess, the backlot tour will be saying goodbye to accommodate this.

Concept art for a post-ride interactive experience was shown as well.

I don't think Disney is going to disappoint with this one based on the level of detail presented in the concept art. It looks very exciting.
The level of detail going into this attraction sounds stunning. It will do DHS well and make it a park worth going to once again. I'm so glad Disney is choosing a suspended coaster. Those are my favorite types. It's so fun to feel the wind blowing around your feet.

It is a suspended roller coaster based on Monsters Inc like has been rumored. The date given was 2011 (vague) and the location given was at the end of Pixar Place. The concept art looked amazing. The show building looks to be quite large with the facade looking like the scare factory. If I had to guess, the backlot tour will be saying goodbye to accommodate this.

Generally the problem with flying coasters is that if you're not sitting in the front row, the view doens't change much. While not an issue if the coaster is centered around thrills and loops, this would be a big problem if there's scenery.

I guess there could be only one row per train, but I wonder what that would do to capacity?

Edit: and don't get me wrong, suspended coasters are generally my favorite.

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
Generally the problem with flying coasters is that if you're not sitting in the front row, the view doens't change much. While not an issue if the coaster is centered around thrills and loops, this would be a big problem if there's scenery.

I guess there could be only one row per train, but I wonder what that would do to capacity?

Edit: and don't get me wrong, suspended coasters are generally my favorite.

The technology is already available. Consider this coaster at Carowinds. Slap a door in between the forward and rear facing seats and pow!

p7821.jpg

The technology is already available. Consider this coaster at Carowinds. Slap a door in between the forward and rear facing seats and pow!

That's interesting, thanks for the photo.

What's also really interesting, based on the person standing there, is that the scale of this ride would probably fit indoors easily.

I bet one of the google earth/ photoshop contingent could place the carowinds coaster on top of the sound stage site to know for sure.

That's interesting, thanks for the photo.

What's also really interesting, based on the person standing there, is that the scale of this ride would probably fit indoors easily.

I bet one of the google earth/ photoshop contingent could place the carowinds coaster on top of the sound stage site to know for sure.
The problem is that that type of suspended coaster is not capacity friendly. The lines would soar out of the building. Regular full suspended coaster trains allow for a large capacity, which Disney really needs, though that problem about the scenery is true. I guess that would assure rerideability for guests who got stuck in the middle to get back in line to try to ride towards the front. ... Unless, is it possible to have riders facing out to the sides rather than forward, in which case depending upon which side you sat on, you'd see different scenery.

WildLodgeFan

The problem is that that type of suspended coaster is not capacity friendly. The lines would soar out of the building. Regular full suspended coaster trains allow for a large capacity, which Disney really needs, though that problem about the scenery is true. I guess that would assure rerideability for guests who got stuck in the middle to get back in line to try to ride towards the front. ... Unless, is it possible to have riders facing out to the sides rather than forward, in which case depending upon which side you sat on, you'd see different scenery.

Looks like according to setpoint's website (the mfg for the saturator) that that this style of suspended coaster has capacity for about 600 guests p/hour, but from what I could tell that is for about a 1 - 1.5 minute ride from load to unload, which seems a bit short for a Disney ride?!?

I don't know how much that compares to other Disney attractions. Perhaps one of our great fonts of attraction data and could provide some insight to that?

socalkdg

Unless, is it possible to have riders facing out to the sides rather than forward, in which case depending upon which side you sat on, you'd see different scenery.

That makes the most sense, have four people face to the right and four people face to the left, which doubles that capacity to 1200. The other idea is to have it four across facing fowards and four across facing backwards.

Either way the capacity would be doubled with twice as many people riding at once. You could also increase the ride length by 50% and you could see 1500 no problem. Love that fact that each ride would be different depending on where you are sitting.

Any chance they might suspend it as well as make it spin?

nuttyskadork

So yeah I believe this would be Disney's first inverted coaster then? (as opposed to the first coaster with inversions). Even if it is inverted doesn't mean it HAS to go upside down.

Anyways; I would give this rumor more priority than a rumor of a totally original theme ride. The Pixarization is HUGE right now (or at least rumors). (TSM, Nemo at CBR, Incredibles ride replacing CoP, Cars meets Test Track at DCA). Really the only non-Pixar character from the last 10 years that's getting any rumors is Stitch. Every single Disney theme park has something involving Pixar already. MK has Buzz Lightyear and Monsters Inc. Epcot has a whole land of Nemo. DHS has Toy Story Mania. DAK has It's Tough to Be A Bug plus the Nemo Musical (some people might say Dinosaur too but it was straight from Disney). Disneyland has Buzz and Nemo. DCA is packed with a whole Bugs Life Land, Monsters Inc, Toy Story Mania, Turtle Talk with Crush AND a whole land based on Cars coming soon.

In the international parks; Buzz Lightyear is in just about every park. Nemo's got some rides too (as does Crush who even has his own Coaster). There's a Cars ride in one of the parks. Monsters Inc has a few things. But yeah....

nuttyskadork

Looks like according to setpoint's website (the mfg for the saturator) that that this style of suspended coaster has capacity for about 600 guests p/hour, but from what I could tell that is for about a 1 - 1.5 minute ride from load to unload, which seems a bit short for a Disney ride?!?

I don't know how much that compares to other Disney attractions. Perhaps one of our great fonts of attraction data and could provide some insight to that?

I believe Rock n' Roller Coaster is only about 1 minute and a half long also (or just under two). But if you add in pre-shows it could make the ride that much more interestijng. Also; in keeping with the theme; an idea could be the coaster is loaded and you go through a pretty straight forward course with lots of scenery and back-story. This would basically serve as a way of increasing the capacity of the ride by making it longer. Then you come to the end of that course and wait at a dispatch point. Then you can be launched on the actual ride portion itself with all the sharp turns and possibly inversions, etc. The actual fast part of the ride itself could be only a minute or so and thus a new train is launched every minute (or every 30 seconds). Alternatively, build one loading area; and then have two tracks for the fast partt. Launching 2 cars every minute or 30 secoinds.

nuttyskadork

awesome! this is great to hear! I had an idea for this ever since I saw the movie. It's just great to hear that someone else thinks the same.

One movie I've always been surprised didn't get a coaster (even a kiddie one) was Emperor's New Groove. Remember the scene where to get to the bad guys lair or something they had to literally ride a roller coaster lol. Always thought that would be a given.

hpyhnt 1000

One movie I've always been surprised didn't get a coaster (even a kiddie one) was Emperor's New Groove. Remember the scene where to get to the bad guys lair or something they had to literally ride a roller coaster lol. Always thought that would be a given.

Emperor's New what? :confused: ;)

See, the only problem with that idea is that probably no one (except us Disney geeks) remembers that movie. Toy Story and Monsters: Inc are more popular the ENG was.

Animaniac93-98

The Emperor's New Groove has a show on the Disney channel right now, a DTV sequel and a recent DVD re-release. I think the idea of that movie being obscure is dead now.

Woozle

This is kind of funny because me and my sister just watched Monsters Inc. two days ago and we both mentioned it would be real neat to have some ride based on the door chasing scene. On the other hand, people dont really think of crazy inverted rollercaosters when Disney is mentioned, but I bet WDI can spruce up something beyond the traditional thrill ride and incorporate many elements of the movie. VERY excited if this is true.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom