Politics RUMOR: Lin Manuel Miranda and Weird Al to Redo Hall of Presidents

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I think COP is the most boring attraction on property and wouldn’t mind seeing it completely replaced. Not closed. Not mothballed. Replaced.
Maybe fill the show stages with AA's representing the greatest Disney CEOs since Michael Eisner.

Yes, I know there have only been three. So you'd have Eisner, Iger and Chapek talking for a few minutes about their accomplishments, followed by an AA of Walt himself rating their performances using his personal philosophies as the yardstick.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
I mean, they’ll have to close this if we have a new President next year, but they could easily just shut it down for a few months and ONLY green light placing 45’s skin on an older AA, 46 on the fancy one, and otherwise phone in the project, opening a modestly updated show for 7/4/21 and pushing off the more dramatic update.

They may just close it for 12-18 months in that situation with a very small change.

Annnd here’s your reminder :)

Best info I have is that there are no contracts with different bands nor negotiations at this time.

tirian

I seem to be in the minority, but if you think THOP is controversial the issue is with YOU not the show.
I’d say you’re part of the silent majority. This is not political: it’s just a fact. The deep divide started three presidencies ago and grew with each new man. Since audiences (Guests) can’t seem to differentiate between an AA giving a WDI speech and a real person, Disney has been considering changes for a while.

UNCgolf

No one is hailing the makers of Pocahontas as the second coming.

Hamilton isn't supposed to be a 100% accurate historical depiction; it's a Broadway show. It exists for entertainment. No one should watch it and expect to get the complete historical truth -- if they do, that's on them, not the creators. No one should watch Braveheart, The Patriot, Gladiator, or countless other historical fiction dramas and expect to be getting real history either.

It's an excellent Broadway show, which is why he's getting acclaim.

TrainsOfDisney

Nothing better than having Lin Miranda create the show in Hall of Presidents....and person whose Hamilton show is wholly inaccurate and revisionist history. 🙄

What makes the show “wholly inaccurate” by the way? The key plot points are all extremely accurate. The biggest issue with accuracy I know of is Burr being present at some extra key moments of Hamilton’s life.

KaliSplash

Some of us are fine with HOP And COP just because of the AA's. Has nothing to do with the current political climate. Admittedly I am old, but I Like watching the swaying of the presidents and such, as well as the birds watching the others since in the Tiki Room. The attention to detail in both of these attractions IS the attraction. Ditto COP. But again, I'm getting on up there. (I just remember the first time I had seen these shows, late 70s and was fascinated by the AAs. Must admit the current HOP is better than I expected. I don't remind a re-do as long as we keep the roll call with all our leaders.

RSoxNo1

I realize that’s a highly controversial opinion among fans, and some people are probably shocked to see me say it.

Maybe COP could work if WDI gave it a snappier script and restored the end to the 1960s to make it truly retro. But come on, do you really laugh at the, um, “jokes”? ;)
I went to the extent of recording a 1980s treatment for the attraction but couldn't come up with a future treatment that I liked.

BromBones

Hamilton isn't supposed to be a 100% accurate historical depiction; it's a Broadway show. It exists for entertainment. No one should watch it and expect to get the complete historical truth -- if they do, that's on them, not the creators. No one should watch Braveheart, The Patriot, Gladiator, or countless other historical fiction dramas and expect to be getting real history either.

Hall of Presidents isn't supposed to be a Broadway show. It's supposed to be an historical lesson.
We don't need more revisionist history from a person with a clear political bias and proclivity.

_caleb

Hall of Presidents isn't supposed to be a Broadway show. It's supposed to be an historical lesson.
We don't need more revisionist history from a person with a clear political bias and proclivity.
All of Disney’s history shows have been revisionist: Hall of Presidents, Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln, the American Adventure. They were never intended to be history lessons (if they were, people like you would complain that they don’t pay Disney bucks to go on vacation just to hear a lecture). These shows are just patriotainment.

But they can make Hall of Presidents into whatever they want—maybe once upon a time they were “historical edutainment,“ but it’s clear (to me) that Disney doesn’t think their audiences are interested in edutainment anymore.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member

No one should, but there are an awful lot more people walking out of the Broadway show acting like they just completed a doctoral thesis than walking out of Pocahontas pretending they are authorities on Native American history. And not many performances of the other examples were delayed so the performers could chastise people in the audience that they disagree with politically.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom