Rude guests (rant sorry)

slappy magoo

It absolutely is attempting to justify it. Selfish, self-entitled guests abusing cast members is NEVER acceptable under any circumstance or for any reason, it just isn't in a civilized society.
You're writing that "It absolutely is attempting to justify it" doesn't make it so the second time any more than it did the first time. Some people are jerks. It's far more satisfying to call them jerks, ridicule them, chastise them, if their behavior transcends rude and goes into violent, then it's understandable to take glee when they're hauled away by cops, and to be frustrated if they're not. You don't want them rewarded for bad behavior, you want them punished, I get it.

But to put it bluntly, if they're such dummies that they can't be bothered with remembering good behavior, or understanding good behavior, then it falls upon smart people to figure out why they do why they do and try to figure out ways to correct their bad behavior, like the first guy that figured out spraying a hose on randy dogs will stop them from schtupping on his front lawn. Clearly we can't spray hoses on jerks (though on hot days it might help). But we can discuss what leads to bad behavior in an attempt to correct it.

Unless you just want to be a big whiner with nothing constructive to add? IN which case, proceed.

Doug Means

i had a close friend that did a summer internship at WDW a few years back. I understand how hard working with the public can be and how bad the public is getting (i'm a HS teacher). i know that when we visit the CM's have always been great, and i hope that i have treated them all well, too. BUT i have seen all to many of my fellow citizens being arses about some of the most silly stuff. I hope it gets better.

Carpe_Fastpasses

I miss the days when I was young (late 80's-early 90's) and would go to the parks with my family. My parents always made it a point for us to be dressed well and be on our best behavior. We were taught that WDW is a special place that not everyone gets to go to, and that we should show the park, the CMs, and other guests the utmost respect. Even all these years later,, I still have to suppress the urge to curtsy when I see one of the Princesses.
What I'm noticing now, aside from general guest lack of consideration, is that people are dressing in wildly inappropriate ways at the park. I'm talking about the pre-teen girls that are barely covering themselves and people wearing shirts that feature sexual innuendos. While I am not here to play fashion police, I feel that people forget that this is a family park and a majority of guests are young, impressionable children.

Lucky

I'm sorry, but those who are trying to blame guest behavior on price increases are bending the story to fit your own personal narrative. No price increase, no matter how much or how frequent gives any guest the right to treat cast members the way they are far too often treated. If all of those variables of a visit to WDW make you that angry you feel it necessary or appropriate to verbally attack cast members doing their job, you really should start considering somewhere else to spend your vacation time and dollars.

I don't imagine any of the people trying to justify this guest behavior would want someone coming into their place of work and yelling at and berating them. It is simply not okay, under any circumstance to treat a cast member in that way; there is no justification just peoples rationalizations for their own poor behavior.
I don't think most people are justifying it, just explaining it. Of course CMs don't deserve to be treated worse just because prices are skyrocketing. But realistically, guest expectations will be higher, and realistically, some of them will be rude to CMs when those expectations are not met.

UncleMike101

I often wonder, when it comes to rude/entitled guests at WDW, whether it would be prudent for other guests to pick up the slack that CMs are not allowed to do. What I mean by this is, if you are a guest at WDW and you see another guest being rude, dirty, etc, speak up to them, politely, and let them know what they are doing is wrong. If other guests around you help you out, then the numbers are in your favor. Too often, these rude, inconsiderate people do not get called on their behavior, which needs to change. Obviously, confronting these people in a threatening way will not work, and could cause the situation to be violent, which would be bringing you down to their level. It is not part of some people's personality to speak up, but there should be enough people out there who would be willing to do it the right way.
While I personally am not above telling someone that they are causing a problem when it's necessary I don't believe that it's a good idea for the average park goer to try to confront someone who's exhibiting their stupid streak.
In my long time dealings with people who are either agitated, stupid, or intoxicated I know the signs of someone who isn't going to respond well to being called out for bad behavior.
Those people are best reported to Security and left to their judgment how best to handle the situation.

RWilliams

Premium Member
Guest behaviour has been appalling as of late.

However, I put a large share of the blame on TWDC. If not nearly all.

Pushing and shoving? That is a good deal the product of overcrowding and under investment. It would decrease to the point of such rarity it could be tackled as isolated, intolerable conduct were lines and crowds manegable. Ever put too many animals of any kind in too small a space? With too little resources? Lambs turn into Hobbesian wolves.

Unreasonably demanding? TWDC squeezes its guests out for all their worth. When everything comes with a price, then people who've paid the price will demand everything.

A lot of guest behaviour is simply a result of environmental influence.

And apart from that, more in general, WDW has positioned itself ever lower on the cultural ladder. The Empress Lilly attracted a sophisticated audience drawn by her stylish ambiance. Toy Story Frozen Brand & Booze In Yer Face Land by contrast attracts persons of more direct manners.
As a cast member I agree with you 100%! There is a societal problem but the majority of guest issues at WDW have been created by the company.

Raineman

While I personally am not above telling someone that they are causing a problem when it's necessary I don't believe that it's a good idea for the average park goer to try to confront someone who's exhibiting their stupid streak.
In my long time dealings with people who are either agitated, stupid, or intoxicated I know the signs of someone who isn't going to respond well to being called out for bad behavior.
Those people are best reported to Security and left to their judgment how best to handle the situation.
I agree that not everyone is suited for dealing with this kind of thing, the problem that seems to exist is that even when security or CMs are told about bad behavior, they either cannot do anything about it, or will not do anything about it.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I don't think most people are justifying it, just explaining it. Of course CMs don't deserve to be treated worse just because prices are skyrocketing. But realistically, guest expectations will be higher, and realistically, some of them will be rude to CMs when those expectations are not met.

I guess the part of that general tone (not you specifically) that bothers me is that it comes across as an attempt to blame someone or something else for their bad behavior. It's part of the general cultural pattern that has emerged over the last many years where nobody is responsible for their own actions, it's always somebody else's fault.

UncleMike101

I agree that not everyone is suited for dealing with this kind of thing, the problem that seems to exist is that even when security or CMs are told about bad behavior, they either cannot do anything about it, or will not do anything about it.
I don't fault CM's for passing on being the enforcers.
They have absolute minimal training in how to handle troublesome guests.
Security, hopefully, has more training and can at least try to defuse a tense situation with threats of expulsion.
The people who deal with difficult persons on a daily basis are seldom seen inside of the parks proper.
That'd be the Sheriffs' Deputies or the Orlando PD.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I've "gotten into it" verbally with a guest now and then when they're being crazy/stupid - as a former CM I have no filter or tolerance for rude guests. I will also apologize profusely to a CM if the person around of me is being a D**K to them.

Pixie VaVoom

Probably the worst experience I've ever had with a moron guest was when I was about to watch Wishes one night and I felt this awful pain on my hell. I turned around and there was this morbidly obese woman on one of those stupid scooter chairs and she had ran in to my heel. So I just smiled and acted as though it was no big deal. Well then she looks at me and says "I was doing that so you'd get out of my way. I can't see over you". Seriously! I had been standing there for probably 5 minutes and she just pulls up behind me and runs in to me on purpose! I just sorta got this baffled look on my face and moved out of the way because it wasn't worth starting a fight over. Man I was irritated though! Disney is sort of a sacred place to me because of what it represents and the ideas it was founded on and I try to practice a certain "etiquette" I guess you'd say. I always try to hold doors for people, let people go before me at buffet meals, give up my seat for pregnant ladies, don't hold up the already long ride lines to stop and take multiple stupid selfies, and DON'T TAKE FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY ON DARK RIDES WHEN THEY CLEARRRRRRLY WILL EVEN STOP THE RIDE TO "REMIND" YOU ABOUT IT! I suppose being a CM would be something like working at an insane asylum where the inmates outnumber you. LOL!

So she 'hover-rounds' you to the heel!?! isn't that some form of vehicular assault ?? It would be nice if they had some kind of 'ticket' for those issues - like the traffic police. "I'm sorry ma'am, but your vehicle history for the day says you have 2 parking violations and assaulted a pedestrian with your front left wheel. Your penalty will be $87.50, and you are prohobited from the parks until the 15th of next month." i believe in personal responsibility... in my perfect dream world.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
It's all over the country...It's not just Disney... People are selfish, self centered jerks, so that is the explanation for the problem. People not moving out of the left lane, blocking intersections, talking on the phone at restaurants, talking at movie theaters..... I could go on and on...It is not a Disney issue...It's a country issue of a bunch of all about me people.... Does Disney have safe spaces yet?

Its a regional issue. My wife and I were out working at the ranch last week and by chance had an errand to to in Arlington, TX around rush hour. You'd be simply amazed comparing heavy traffic on I-30 with Atlanta, DC or New York areas. Traffic continues to move but there are actually car lengths between vehicles and zero honking. People allow other to change lanes without drawing guns. You walk into stores/ restaurants and everyone including yourself says please, thank you, yes sir or mam. Where you have high levels of transient populations the manners get worse as there is no cohesive community, its "Lord of the Flies".

I'd like to thank the OP for staying as a cast member and putting up with our less than civilized brethren. Everyone deserves civil interaction.

Pixie VaVoom

Part of the rudeness of society that we are experiencing these days, are from people who believe in, "Children will be children" mentality. They think it is fine that they let their children do as they want, even if the said children are disruptive and ill mannered. When confronting parents whose children causes you and/or your party injury, they will yell at you, and say, "They're only children." When my children accidentally bumps someone, or is rude to someone, I would apologize to the person, and if possible, have my children do the same.

Manners and common sense have been lacking in the present society lately, from both adults and children.

I blame "Dr Spock". We can't properly discipline children anymore, or we might squash their little "id". Yeah! horse-hockey. Wait til the "special snowflakes" get into the REAL world. There are definite RULES to all aspects of life.

UncleMike101

I've "gotten into it" verbally with a guest now and then when they're being crazy/stupid - as a former CM I have no filter or tolerance for rude guests. I will also apologize profusely to a CM if the person around of me is being a D**K to them.
What does being a DUCK have to do with..................
Oh wait....
Never mind. :happy:
I guessed the wrong word.
I'm terrible at Wheel of Fortune...

Siren

While I agree with most of what you are saying, I'm curious about your staying at Four Seasons but speaking of *on your latest trip* mediocre resort CMs, taking the friendship boat, taking the monorail and even riding a resort bus, and finally resorting to black car service....since I know the Four Seasons offers a luxury coach bus to and from all of the parks? (and you self-admitted that you only spend one day in each park)
LOL, funny question. But okay, I will attempt to answer this as best I can -- I have about 5 minutes or so to spare.

We did a split stay in Orlando. We stayed concierge level at an Epcot resort (of which, I will not name) and at the Four Seasons Orlando. We spent 4 full commando style days from rope drop to close at Disney Parks -- with a random break at the hotel to freshen up for dinner or whatever.

We also visited the parks on arrival day (early AM) until our room was ready for check in and on departure day (late PM) for a few hours before checking out and heading to the airport. Plus, we went to Downtown Disney, Universal, shopping, dining, sight seeing and random stuff like that.

After leaving Universal, we also went to an EMH park at night just to catch fireworks or MSEP but for a couple of hours, so I really don't count that.

And, yes we used *all* modes of Disney transportation -- boats, Monorails, the bus (once). We also used Uber Black -- but just once, though. The Mercedes they sent us was so old and the smallest Mercedes I have ever seen. So, again we just stuck with Four Seasons for black car service.

The Four Seasons provides a very nice motor coach that runs every *hour* except for MK, which is a half hour, or so. And, there is no bus service to DTD. We did use it a couple times though and the bus was *always* empty. We were the *only* people on that huge motor coach, lol.

Anyway, whenever we needed to be picked up, we called the concierge at the Four Seasons and they had a car arrive within *minutes* to take us wherever we wanted to go.

Not a big deal at all. Black cars are *always* sitting right out in front of the Four Seasons, as soon as you step out of the elevator and into the lobby, there is always a manager or a concierge person or valet right there to greet and assist you -- everyone knows you by name. And, they all have a walky talkies, so before you even get outside there is a car and chauffeur waiting for you at the curb.

Unfortunately, the Four Seasons does not offer 60 day FastPass reservations or access to EMH or Disney's dining plan -- by doing a split stay we did not have to compromise on losing those benefits.

There is a Disney desk right in the Four Seasons lobby where you can purchase tickets and Magic Bands but they only have the gray style, again no EMH or 60 day advance FP.

If it wasn't for EMH and 60 day advance FP's I wouldn't bother to stay at a Disney resort at all. It's funny how The Swan and Dolphin offer EMH and 60 day FP but not the Four Seasons, lol.

Seriously, the Four Seasons Orlando customer service and attention to detail is far superior to anything else I've experienced in Orlando. Like, I cannot visit Disney and not stay there.

Wildflower

LOL, funny question. But okay, I will attempt to answer this as best I can -- I have about 5 minutes or so to spare.

We did a split stay in Orlando. We stayed concierge level at an Epcot resort (of which, I will not name) and at the Four Seasons Orlando. We spent 4 full commando style days from rope drop to close at Disney Parks -- with a random break at the hotel to freshen up for dinner or whatever.

We also visited the parks on arrival day (early AM) until our room was ready for check in and on departure day (late PM) for a few hours before checking out and heading to the airport. Plus, we went to Downtown Disney, Universal, shopping, dining, sight seeing and random stuff like that.

After leaving Universal, we also went to an EMH park at night just to catch fireworks or MSEP but for a couple of hours, so I really don't count that.

And, yes we used *all* modes of Disney transportation -- boats, Monorails, the bus (once). We also used Uber Black -- but just once, though. The Mercedes they sent us was so old and the smallest Mercedes I have ever seen. So, again we just stuck with Four Seasons for black car service.

The Four Seasons provides a very nice motor coach that runs every *hour* except for MK, which is a half hour, or so. And, there is no bus service to DTD. We did use it a couple times though and the bus was *always* empty. We were the *only* people on that huge motor coach, lol.

Anyway, whenever we needed to be picked up, we called the concierge at the Four Seasons and they had a car arrive within *minutes* to take us wherever we wanted to go.

Not a big deal at all. Black cars are *always* sitting right out in front of the Four Seasons, as soon as you step out of the elevator and into the lobby, there is always a manager or a concierge person or valet right there to greet and assist you -- everyone knows you by name. And, they all have a walky talkies, so before you even get outside there is a car and chauffeur waiting for you at the curb.

Unfortunately, the Four Seasons does not offer 60 day FastPass reservations or access to EMH or Disney's dining plan -- by doing a split stay we did not have to compromise on losing those benefits.

There is a Disney desk right in the Four Seasons lobby where you can purchase tickets and Magic Bands but they only have the gray style, again no EMH or 60 day advance FP.

If it wasn't for EMH and 60 day advance FP's I wouldn't bother to stay at a Disney resort at all. It's funny how The Swan and Dolphin offer EMH and 60 day FP but not the Four Seasons, lol.

Seriously, the Four Seasons Orlando customer service and attention to detail is far superior to anything else I've experienced in Orlando. Like, I cannot visit Disney and not stay there.
:) makes sense, it just really seemed like you were trains, plains and automobiles which makes me nuts! As to FS, their service is incredible, but I'm somewhat underwhelmed by the room design and configuration as we have four people. And as you said, there's the issue regarding FP+....so we're doing concierge level at likely the same resort (or next door) for that very reason. Thankfully in our recent visits, the service has been fairly decent so fingers crossed! (the people are always a mixed bag sadly)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom