Rude guests (rant sorry)

sjane104

Original Poster
I know I'm a new member, but I have actually been visiting this site for almost 10 years now, just never signed up.

That being said, I am a CM. I just need to rant about the "quality" of the guests and the "quality" of the magical experience you want when you visit Disney.

Most people on these forums do not fall into the rude guests category (thankfully) but I'm sure many of you have seen them when you visit.

Lately, the guests are horrible. Not in the stupid way, they are always stupid, it's expected. We get a laugh out of the dumb things they say anyway. But more recently, RUDE. Pushing and shoving rude, not washing your kids rude, being unreasonably demanding rude, tearing things apart rude, yelling at CMs rude. These people should be ashamed of themselves. When I go to work I can't tell if I am at a theme park or a zoo. And then, these are the same people who complain about the guest service they are getting at Disney. Well guess what? When you are rude to CMs, they WILL NOT go above and beyond for you. You're lucky if I even answer your question correctly. You need to be nice. We are not your slaves. Don't let your kids run wild. Don't push and cut in front of people. Don't pout and stomp your foot when you don't get your way. This is ridiculous and I fear for the future of society.

I know I'm going to get those comments of "well if you don't like it just quit!" But it's so much more than that. People should be able to act like civilized adults. It's really not that hard. I can't believe that Disney lets people be rude as hell and security and managers just stand there. It is crazy and you are only going to get a worse and worse guest service experience if you continue to act like rabid animals.

That is all.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
It really is an increasing problem. Because Disney is known for this high quality service, so people abuse it, take it for granted, and make things harder.

I've noticed that recently, the workers at Universal Studios seem to be a bit more happy than the ones at Disney. And I can see why.. The tourists who are going to Disney are abusing the quality experience system as much as they can.. While that same quality experience is not expected over at universal because .. "They're universal" it's strange really

EaglesfanNJ

I know I'm a new member, but I have actually been visiting this site for almost 10 years now, just never signed up.

That being said, I am a CM. I just need to rant about the "quality" of the guests and the "quality" of the magical experience you want when you visit Disney.

Most people on these forums do not fall into the rude guests category (thankfully) but I'm sure many of you have seen them when you visit.

Lately, the guests are horrible. Not in the stupid way, they are always stupid, it's expected. We get a laugh out of the dumb things they say anyway. But more recently, RUDE. Pushing and shoving rude, not washing your kids rude, being unreasonably demanding rude, tearing things apart rude, yelling at CMs rude. These people should be ashamed of themselves. When I go to work I can't tell if I am at a theme park or a zoo. And then, these are the same people who complain about the guest service they are getting at Disney. Well guess what? When you are rude to CMs, they WILL NOT go above and beyond for you. You're lucky if I even answer your question correctly. You need to be nice. We are not your slaves. Don't let your kids run wild. Don't push and cut in front of people. Don't pout and stomp your foot when you don't get your way. This is ridiculous and I fear for the future of society.

I know I'm going to get those comments of "well if you don't like it just quit!" But it's so much more than that. People should be able to act like civilized adults. It's really not that hard. I can't believe that Disney lets people be rude as hell and security and managers just stand there. It is crazy and you are only going to get a worse and worse guest service experience if you continue to act like rabid animals.

That is all.

Thank you for your hard work. Just know we're not ALL animals. Some people feel that since they spent so much money on vacation, it comes with the ability to treat everyone else around them like scum. It's sad.

We go out of our way to be nice to the CMs. You work so hard.

The Empress Lilly

That is all.
Guest behaviour has been appalling as of late.

However, I put a large share of the blame on TWDC. If not nearly all.

Pushing and shoving? That is a good deal the product of overcrowding and under investment. It would decrease to the point of such rarity it could be tackled as isolated, intolerable conduct were lines and crowds manegable. Ever put too many animals of any kind in too small a space? With too little resources? Lambs turn into Hobbesian wolves.

Unreasonably demanding? TWDC squeezes its guests out for all their worth. When everything comes with a price, then people who've paid the price will demand everything.

A lot of guest behaviour is simply a result of environmental influence.

And apart from that, more in general, WDW has positioned itself ever lower on the cultural ladder. The Empress Lilly attracted a sophisticated audience drawn by her stylish ambiance. Toy Story Frozen Brand & Booze In Yer Face Land by contrast attracts persons of more direct manners.

PhotoDave219

I put a large share of the blame on TWDC. Pushing and shoving? That is a good deal the product of overcrowding and under investment. It would decrease to the point of such rarity it could be tackled as isolated, intolerable conduct were lines and crowds manegable. Ever put too many animals of any kind in too small a space? With too little resources? Lambs turn into Hobbesian wolves.

Unreasonably demanding? TWDC squeezes its guests out for all their worth. When everything comes with a price, then people who've paid the price will demand everything.

More in general, WDW has positioned itself ever lower on the cultural ladder. The Empress Lilly attracted a sophisticated audience drawn by her stylish ambiance. Toy Story Frozen Brand & Booze In Yer Face Land by contrast attracts persons of more direct manners.

Any thoughts on guest expectations and entitled behaviors as compared to the price of admission?

The Empress Lilly

Any thoughts on guest expectations and entitled behaviors as compared to the price of admission?
Yes, a few.

Higher prices have not attracted a better audience. On the contrary. Paying exorbitant prices for a theme park (and an ever more crass one at that) is the territory of the nouveaux riches. Drug lords, sports and entertainment types, defense contractors. The established classes are put off, whereas the ability for ostentatious spending attracts those with their means but not their class.

Secondly, having paid the equivalent of your kid's entire college education for your holiday, one would be entitled. You want your money's worth. Whereas TWDC provides ever less even in absolute amounts. Less rides, longer lines, worse food, bigger crowds.

PhotoDave219

Yes, a few.

Higher prices have not attracted a better audience. On the contrary. Paying exorbitant prices for a theme park (and an ever more crass one at that) is the territory of the nouveaux riches. Drug lords, sports and entertainment types, defense contractors. The established classes are put off, whereas the ability for ostentatious spending attracts those with their means but not their class.

Secondly, having paid the equivalent of your kid's entire college education for your holiday, one would be entitled. You want your money's worth. Whereas TWDC provides ever less even in absolute amounts. Less rides, longer lines, worse food, bigger crowds.

That being said, I would agree that people are not getting their money's worth... which leads people to behave in a manner the OP describes.

ran6110

That is all.

I don't think most people here would tell you to quit...

One of the problem is these feeling of entitlement a lot of people have acquired in the last few decades. It's always been there just now it worse and they are more overt in there actions. And if you watch you'll see this goes up as they pay more and they stop asking and start demanding.

These people (the rude and nasty ones) have the "I spent a lot of money to be here" mindset and they expect everyone to jump for them. CM's are an easy non-threatening target to them so they become even more abusive.

Disney needs to come down hard on these people and let them know it's not acceptable to act that way to other guests or CM's. Maybe if the media had a few stories about visitors being thrown out for acting like animals and being given a lifetime ban (especially if their family get's to stay) it might change things...

For me I have to say I'm sorry you've been treated so poorly while doing a job that should be fun.

Last edited:

Siren

That is all.
Awww, this is just terrible. But, I think you have a chip on your shoulder and that you do not have a "customer service" mindset -- which is totally okay.

I really don't appreciate your tone toward the guests -- calling them stupid and dumb and laughing at what they say. And, then you proudly admit to deliberately not answering their questions correctly, so they can just take it out on the next CM. If you feel like you are being treated poorly or like a slave, then you should look into a different occupation.

What you speak of is not just a "Disney" thing. This is becoming more and more commonplace everywhere -- you should see the way people behave and trash airplanes, hotel rooms, parks, etc.

In your situation, Disney management has failed big time. People need to have established guidelines and rules. Everywhere. Movie theaters, sports games, theme parks, etc. And, these rules need to be enforced *evenly* at all times to everyone -- not spotty, here and there or whenever it is convenient, otherwise bad behavior takes over and becomes a culture.

If Disney enforces the rules and provides more support to CM's by granting them some autonomy in decision making, it *could* curb this outlandish behavior, that is *if* the CM's don't abuse it.

Disney should adopt the Four Seasons management style. They will kick you out in a heartbeat, if you can't act right, lol.

With that said, I can confirm absolutely every word you have written here. I noticed on our most recent vacation that Disney guests have become increasingly boorish, gross, nasty and trashy. It's so true.

Extremely nasty line cutters this time and people scuffling with each other for a spot at the parades and fireworks for dear life. Next time, we'll just fork over the cash for premium viewing.

We had to give up our seats for a poor mom with a toddler and infant on an overcrowded friendship boat while giant grown men and women just sat there ignoring her like she didn't exist for several minutes. Only *after* we gave her our bench -- a few people then offered us their seat -- which was so weird, so we just stood the whole way. I will *never* board a crowded friendship boat again.

We rode the resort bus once and again -- we gave our seats to a Mom with kids. From that point on, we only used black car service.

I couldn't wait to return to the Four Seasons every night for some semblance of normalcy and a touch of class.

Back to the line cutting, it was *so* bad.

Most notable were in The Haunted Mansion regular queue -- the wide open space before it narrows. This trifling family of five deliberately cut in front of everyone when the Liberty Boat was going by and honking its horn and everyone was waving at each other, for like two seconds.

Then on the Pirates of the Caribbean this tour group of teens kept sneaking past unaware people standing in line.

And, the worst was GM Test Track where you can tell these people *live* just to cut lines.

The most disgusting thing I saw during our vacation was the monorail. It was so filthy that no one could sit down. There were at least a half dozen damp dirty socks, empty water bottles and tissues thrown on the back part behind the seat. I felt bad for the CM's who had to clean that mess.

There were also a lot of filthy ride vehicles this time. And, I refuse to ride Buzz again until it is completely refurbed.

Then, there was this huge group of overweight people on ECV's who were literally mowing people down just to take cuts to get on the safari. So incredibly rude -- I couldn't believe what I was watching.

We like to be carefree (but, always courteous) in the parks. And, we love to have fun on coasters and thrill rides. But, there were people who rode these coasters and thrill rides and were super quiet with no emotion at all.

I noticed lots of awkward type people acting like Disney is a library or a museum or some sacred shrine. Just glaring and staring and judging everyone who was using their phone or judging people interacting with their kids or loved ones. Seriously, they all had this flat resting face. And, yes "RBS" is a real medical condition with a scientific basis behind it. http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/03/health/resting-*****-face-research-irpt/

Not to mention, all of the rude people were sloppy and/or poorly dressed. I mean downright slovenly. Ugh.

Now, I do not recall any bad little kids during our trip, just rotten middle aged adults and their teenage or older children cutting lines and stuff.

All of the Disney Park CM's were exceptional. Disney Resort CM's not so much (again, this is a management and training issue). Day and night, in terms of service between the two with exception to the valets, life guards and the cooks.

Ironically, this was our best Disney vacation ever and we can't wait to go back. I don't allow things like that to consume me on vacation,as it's usually just a fleeting, passing moment of inconvenience. Also, we only spend one day in each park, no more. We will continue to adjust our expectations and prepare to make any other adjustments beforehand to minimize any potential incidents that may diminish or take away joy from our vacation.

Goofyernmost

Everyone just needs to Stay Calm and Smile at a Cast Member. Tell them thank you once in a while. Be more grateful! After all you're in the happiest place on earth!:)
I've never been sure what motivates people to be rude toward other people anyway. Apparently it's a new and wonderful thing to be considered a jerk. Do they really think that the squeaky wheel gets more grease in the long run. Anytime someone unloads on anyone, even if that person did something wrong, it just lowers their image in other peoples eyes. It resolves nothing and just make people look like a little child having a tantrum because they don't know any better.

That said, I have been going to WDW for 34 years and have never had anything happen that would make me get upset enough to create a scene. On the other hand, I have never been afforded all those things that we are lead to believe we will get if we are nice. Nothing, never a free anything, never an acknowledgement that I was a good person. I never went expecting that anyway, but, I have to admit that I am a tad jealous when I read about people that got a lot of good stuff by being obnoxious and rude.

It seems to me that companies like Disney worries way to much about the wrong people. If they don't care if I ever go again, why should they care if those crap for brain people ever return. They give them the farm, force CM's to do nothing to help make the experience enjoyable for the majority and worry about losing an idiot that makes everyone else's experience suck. I just do not understand that logic. Have rules and enforce them, do not give to people that cannot meet you half way. They should try and let those that do act civil feel like someone cares about their enjoyment as well.

ran6110

So glad I vented. definitely not a troll. Just fed up with people being so rude in the parks. They are rude not only to cast but too each other! It just sucks that most of these people complain and Disney just gives them free stuff. I feel like that's kinda what started this whole thing

Well don't complain so much or loudly that you get yourself fired.

SW_matt

This stuff about about high prices results in the right to shout/scream be abusive is rubbish.

I used to work in retail here in the UK in a supermarket that was renowned for aiming at the slightly wealthier. I had gotten used to a certain amount of disdain and rudeness but when customers began to verbally abuse/personally insult me or just act like outright children I just got into the habit of refusing to talk to them or serve them, complain to a manager (who are thankfully generally supportive)and the end result was they were normally asked to leave and not come back.

Just because you wear a company uniform and they give you money every month for doing a job doesn't mean you belong to them and thus means you aren't the property of customers and whilst customers should expect a service doesn't give them the right to act like animals.

I had occasions were I had had an off day and had given poor service to customers, I was always so much more receptive when someone calm had a word with my manager or myself and was always willing to apologise unless they degenerated into frothing red faced animals in which case I normally just got as attitude filled.

The Mom

Premium Member

However, I put a large share of the blame on TWDC. If not nearly all.

Pushing and shoving? That is a good deal the product of overcrowding and under investment. It would decrease to the point of such rarity it could be tackled as isolated, intolerable conduct were lines and crowds manegable. Ever put too many animals of any kind in too small a space? With too little resources? Lambs turn into Hobbesian wolves.

A lot of guest behaviour is simply a result of environmental influence.

And apart from that, more in general, WDW has positioned itself ever lower on the cultural ladder. The Empress Lilly attracted a sophisticated audience drawn by her stylish ambiance. Toy Story Frozen Brand & Booze In Yer Face Land by contrast attracts persons of more direct manners.

Add incredibly hot, humid temperatures from May to October to the mix of wall to wall crowds, and yes, people will not be at their best. Then you have those who don't understand that alcoholic beverages are a bad idea if you're truly thirsty - they become much more potent if you're dehydrated, in my experience. Or if you drink them like water.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I'm sorry, but those who are trying to blame guest behavior on price increases are bending the story to fit your own personal narrative. No price increase, no matter how much or how frequent gives any guest the right to treat cast members the way they are far too often treated. If all of those variables of a visit to WDW make you that angry you feel it necessary or appropriate to verbally attack cast members doing their job, you really should start considering somewhere else to spend your vacation time and dollars.

I don't imagine any of the people trying to justify this guest behavior would want someone coming into their place of work and yelling at and berating them. It is simply not okay, under any circumstance to treat a cast member in that way; there is no justification just peoples rationalizations for their own poor behavior.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom