News Roger E. Broggie overhaul

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
@DisAl Here’s the bench on Roger’s tender.
302D78DD-DC74-44F9-BC5A-0106AF7A3778.png

Not the greatest picture, but it’s the best I have. As of now, Roy’s tender is the only one left with a bench. Here’s a couple pictures of Lilly’s tender to show how it looks without the bench.

01B701D5-43E4-4773-9863-4EEE62240319.png
B29629F9-BC32-41FB-B8CB-AF42F18737AF.png

The handles open the doors to the compartment where the controls for the electric igniter and the computerized safety system are located. The bench had to be removed in order to add the compartment to the tender.

DisAl

@DisAl Here’s the bench on Roger’s tender.
View attachment 397353

Not the greatest picture, but it’s the best I have. As of now, Roy’s tender is the only one left with a bench. Here’s a couple pictures of Lilly’s tender to show how it looks without the bench.

View attachment 397354View attachment 397355

The handles open the doors to the compartment where the controls for the electric igniter and the computerized safety system are located. The bench had to be removed in order to add the compartment to the tender.
Thanks.

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
I know it's not super accurate (and it's stretching the topic of this thread) but this is a thing now:
https://www.brothers-brick.com/2019...road-set-71044-disney-train-and-station-news/
LEGO-Disney-71044-Disney-Train-and-Station-wu9BS-2-1024x1024.jpg

LEGO-Disney-71044-Disney-Train-and-Station-wu9BS-38-1024x683.jpg

LEGO-Disney-71044-Disney-Train-and-Station-wu9BS-14-1024x814.jpg
I remember hearing some rumors about this back in June. Glad it's happening. And I don't think that $330 is a unreasonable price. I honestly thought that it was going to be over $400. And the fact that it's motorized is a big plus. I just wish the stickers said Disneyland Railroad and C.K. Holiday, which is the locomotive it's suppose to represent. It also doesn't say Lilly Belle on the observation car either. I guess I could get some custom stickers made though. Except for the boiler (Holiday's boiler is a blueish grey, not green), I think the locomotive looks great! Will definitely be getting it.

While we're on the subject of the DLRR, Kimball blew an axle Sunday. Yeah that's right, an axle!

Doesn't surprise me though. Kimball is the most problematic locomotive on the DLRR. DLRR may have WDWRR beat when it comes to theme, but if we're talking about maintenance and maintaining the locomotives and rolling stock, WDWRR is far superior.

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
@Andrew M was at Strasburg over the weekend and was able to provide an update on Roger.

Since Walter has left, Roger has been moved into the secret/hidden stall and work has officially started. Everything has been stripped down/taken apart and all that currently remains is the frame and the smokebox. There are cracks in the frame that will have to be repaired, and there‘s a good chance that both pistons and the front end of the locomotive will have to be replaced. Roger’s tender has been jacked up, and the trucks and wheels have been removed/disassembled and are currently being worked on.

Thanks again to @Andrew M for providing the updates!

The biggest thing that jumps out at me are the cracks in the frame. Even if they’re small, it’s still a significant issue. I’m not entirely surprised though. It explains why they made the change and sent Roger next instead of Roy. (Originally, Roy was scheduled to go next, not Roger) That, and I heard through the grapevine about a year or 2 before Roger left that there were concerns about him having frame issues, though maintenance was unsure if there were cracks or if it was something else. The pistons being completely replaced is another big issue too.

Well, now that work has begun, my prediction is early 2024.

EricsBiscuit

@Andrew M was at Strasburg over the weekend and was able to provide an update on Roger.

Since Walter has left, Roger has been moved into the secret/hidden stall and work has officially started. Everything has been stripped down/taken apart and all that currently remains is the frame and the smokebox. There are cracks in the frame that will have to be repaired, and there‘s a good chance that both pistons and the front end of the locomotive will have to be replaced. Roger’s tender has been jacked up, and the trucks and wheels have been removed/disassembled and are currently being worked on.

Thanks again to @Andrew M for providing the updates!

The biggest thing that jumps out at me are the cracks in the frame. Even if they’re small, it’s still a significant issue. I’m not entirely surprised though. It explains why they made the change and sent Roger next instead of Roy. (Originally, Roy was scheduled to go next, not Roger) That, and I heard through the grapevine about a year or 2 before Roger left that there were concerns about him having frame issues, though maintenance was unsure if there were cracks or if it was something else. The pistons being completely replaced is another big issue too.

Well, now that work has begun, my prediction is early 2024.
Crazy how long it takes

TrainsOfDisney

It can be done in less than 3 years, but that’s if Strasburg had more people working in the mechanical shop, and if they didn’t constantly stayed swamped with other contracted work.

This is also a major overhaul. They are practically rebuilding the locomotives. It’s crazy to realize that these locomotives have been working for 50 years at the magic kingdom.

There are several steps... first they have to tear everything apart and evaluate everything that needs to get done. Then they need to machine parts from scratch and then reassemble everything.

Of course if Disney was in a hurry, you can always pay for a rush job... when Union Pacific flattened the wheels on the 844 they had to get them done ASAP money was no object, so they sent 2 drivers to Strasburg and the other 2 to Tennessee Valley.

Andrew M

It can be done in less than 3 years, but that’s if Strasburg had more people working in the mechanical shop, and if they didn’t constantly stayed swamped with other contracted work.

Yes, don't forget the shop was also closed down for a few months completely. They've made considerable progress considering it's already down to the frame.

This is also a major overhaul. They are practically rebuilding the locomotives. It’s crazy to realize that these locomotives have been working for 50 years at the magic kingdom.

There are several steps... first they have to tear everything apart and evaluate everything that needs to get done. Then they need to machine parts from scratch and then reassemble everything.

Of course if Disney was in a hurry, you can always pay for a rush job... when Union Pacific flattened the wheels on the 844 they had to get them done ASAP money was no object, so they sent 2 drivers to Strasburg and the other 2 to Tennessee Valley.

Yeah, the boiler and firebox will be completely new, as well as a new pilot, cylinders, pistons, etc. It did look like they had several boxes on hand of extra stay bolts and other small hardware that was ordered during Walter's rehab, so that may allow them to speed up the process a bit given they are fairly identical locomotives.

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster

I’m fully aware that these are major/complete overhauls and all of the time and effort that goes into the process. My point being, it can be done in a little less than 3 years for a locomotive this size if there’s enough people and no other projects/work taking up resources/equipment, but that’s not the case with Strasburg. Like I said, my guess is early 2024. Maybe, just maybe, fall/late 2023, but I’m taking delays into consideration. That and things may take longer due to the cracks in the frame and completely rebuilding parts that they originally didn’t plan on completely rebuilding.

Yes, don't forget the shop was also closed down for a few months completely. They've made considerable progress considering it's already down to the frame.
Yes, the shop came to a screeching halt for a while due to COVID-19. No doubt other contracted work got delayed too.

so that may allow them to speed up the process a bit given they are fairly identical locomotives.
This crossed my mind. I was wondering if there were any parts that they went ahead and ordered double of knowing that Roger would be next. And yes, since they’re practically overhauling the exact same locomotive that they just finished, there might be some stuff that gets completed a little bit faster.

Andrew M

This crossed my mind. I was wondering if there were any parts that they went ahead and ordered double of knowing that Roger would be next. And yes, since they’re practically overhauling the exact same locomotive that they just finished, there might be some stuff that gets completed a little bit faster.

Definitely, especially since it's going to be a new boiler and firebox, they can design it so the parts can be used on both locomotives.

jbolen2

No idea if links to FB videos work on here, but I’m 95% sure Strasburg just posted a video on their FB page of one of Roger’s rear driving wheels on the lathe..

Are they turning down the existing wheel to true it up or do they install a new outer wheel piece and have to true it up?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom