RnRC New Theme Discussion

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Dinorama was built by people with no imagination.
I'm referring to the parking lot complaint.

Who ever heard of a parking lot in a cow pasture?

Besides that, if what you said is true, then there would be no backstory to the area at all.

lazyboy97o

My point is, if it has to happen, it doesn't really hurt anything either.

It may not fix things right away (it could down the line if Animation courtyard was connected and BH6 and Incredibles were added to make a Superhero area). The good part about where RNRC is situated is that it's off to the side... it doesn't impede your view as you walk down Sunset.
It does hurt something because people already notice that turning the corner is a rather abrupt change in setting. The area is always going to be tied into Sunset Blvd as its entry experience. Experiential design isn't just about a few isolated views, but the entirety of a journey. Thematic dissonance doesn't get fixed by making less of theme.

Next Big Thing

It does hurt something because people already notice that turning the corner is a rather abrupt change in setting. The area is always going to be tied into Sunset Blvd as its entry experience. Experiential design isn't just about a few isolated views, but the entirety of a journey. Thematic dissonance doesn't get fixed by making less of theme.
A lot of the "Abrupt change" is because of the giant guitar and coaster car above the entrance. Remove that and make the entry way feel more subtle and problem solved.

Again, i'm not 100% sure i'd want GotG there or not. I don't know that the music lends itself to a coaster. However, Aerosmith IS going to have to go soon and there are far worse possibilities than GotG.

doctornick

My point is, if it has to happen, it doesn't really hurt anything either.

It may not fix things right away (it could down the line if Animation courtyard was connected and BH6 and Incredibles were added to make a Superhero area). The good part about where RNRC is situated is that it's off to the side... it doesn't impede your view as you walk down Sunset.

Exactly this. I agree with the point that Disney needs to build new rather than replace/re-theme. I'd rather see a new GotG ride than replacing an existing one. But I don't see how replacing RnR messing up how it "fits" much because it's already (a) requires an awkward not really known backstory to "fit" Sunset Blvd and (b) it's pretty isolated from the rest of Sunset and changing RnR doesn't mess with the ambiance of that area.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Exactly this. I agree with the point that Disney needs to build new rather than replace/re-theme. I'd rather see a new GotG ride than replacing an existing one. But I don't see how replacing RnR messing up how it "fits" much because it's already (a) requires an awkful not really known backstory to "fit" Sunset Blvd and (b) it's pretty isolated from the rest of Sunset and changing RnR doesn't mess with the ambiance of that area.
Because A contradicts B and will only be more intensified.

doctornick

Because A contradicts B and will only be more intensified.

It wouldn't be intensified, it would be pretty much the same as currently. I'm confident that WDI can come up with a similar tortuous and silly backstory to make a GotG version of RnR "fit" with Sunset as "cleanly" (i.e. not at all) as the Aerosmith version does.

That said, if GotG goes into RnR, the ideal endpoint would be to make that ride and the area around it (with more stuff) into a separate land from Sunset with an appropriate theme.

Next Big Thing

It wouldn't be intensified, it would be pretty much the same as currently. I'm confident that WDI can come up with a similar tortuous and silly backstory to make a GotG version of RnR "fit" with Sunset as "cleanly" (i.e. not at all) as the Aerosmith version does.

That said, if GotG goes into RnR, the ideal endpoint would be to make that ride and the area around it (with more stuff) into a separate land from Sunset with an appropriate theme.
In my scenario where we have that mini-superhero land, the entrance to RNRC would be move to the other side of the building and the current entrance would just turn into a walkway inbetween lands.

There would be no thematic rift here.

lazyboy97o

The need for a backstory to make the justification is a sign of a thematic failure. The discordance would be intensified because it would go from somewhat related to completely unrelated. Even being a different land doesn't change the visual contradiction created that creates so much of the current weakness. People aren't complaining that the coaster is bad and should go, just the poor theme that is not clear in its connection to Sunset Blvd. Not only would this new land maintain the chronological break that is already noticed but would also include a total visual break.

Next Big Thing

The need for a backstory to make the justification is a sign of a thematic failure. The discordance would be intensified because it would go from somewhat related to completely unrelated. Even being a different land doesn't change the visual contradiction created that creates so much of the current weakness. People aren't complaining that the coaster is bad and should go, just the poor theme that is not clear in its connection to Sunset Blvd. Not only would this new land maintain the chronological break that is already noticed but would also include a total visual break.
The RNRC showbuilding would hide any new construction and with moving the entrance, you could theme the current front of RNRC (what would be the back) to blend in with Sunset as you transition to the new land.

jhendrix

Something like this would need to happen for things to tie in thematically (and would improve the flow of the park, removing the dead ends). Notice sunset blvd would be no more.

Not saying I like this more than what exists, but it seems to be better than what they intend...
DHS-New-Map.jpg

Mike S

Something like this would need to happen for things to tie in thematically (and would improve the flow of the park, removing the dead ends). Notice sunset blvd would be no more.

Not saying I like this more than what exists, but it seems to be better than what they intend...
View attachment 137932
Toy Story Land won't actually be that big. Also, don't touch Sunset. I like the username. J for Jimmy? Welcome to the forums.

jhendrix

Toy Story Land won't actually be that big. Also, don't touch Sunset. I like the username. J for Jimmy? Welcome to the forums.

Thanks! Been reading without posting for many years.

I love Sunset Blvd. and stepping into Hollywood's golden era. I also love Main Street USA, stepping back in to victorian era America. The best time periods for our country architecturally. I would love for DHS to expand on what it already has and build a Buena Vista Blvd. like DCA has. But I don't see that happening.

And the J stands for my first name actually, and unfortunately it's not Jimi. :)

I think the ideal situation - or at least an improvement - would be if the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster was given a mid-twentieth century Los Angeles theme. I must admit I don't quite know what that would entail, but it was such a rich and dynamic time for the city, I'd say there's plenty to draw from. A film noir car chase, maybe? Guests stand in for LAPD recruits circa 1945, strapped into squad cars, chasing a notorious gang behind a string of elaborate heists.

A fella can dream, right?

This is a great idea. Wasn't there plans like this for a Dick Tracy ride years ago...before the movie bombed?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom