RnRC New Theme Discussion

danlb_2000

Premium Member
But why? Because it isn't Star Wars? Because it's an original concept? Because Disney is dumb?

The original concept for DHS was the "working studio" concept, which died pretty quickly. Ever since it stopped being an actual studio they seemed to have moved more and more away from the "how movies are made" theme. I personally have no problem with this as long as the new lands are well done.

TheOrangeBird01

The original concept for DHS was the "working studio" concept, which died pretty quickly. Ever since it stopped being an actual studio they seemed to have moved more and more away from the "how movies are made" theme. I personally have no problem with this as long as the new lands are well done.

Yeah, I get it. I just prefer the original concept, or at least not entirely abandoning it. Add what you want, but try to have the same amount of magic that the park originally had. I know it's been said before, but HS seems to be the park with the biggest identity crisis. It's trying to be too many things at once.

doctornick

But why? Because it isn't Star Wars? Because it's an original concept? Because Disney is dumb?

Well, it isn't an "original concept", as it was basically a rip off of Universal Hollywood.

But to answer your concept, the problem with the "working studio" concept is that it doesn't work when it isn't an actual working studio. The charm of Uni Hollywood is all the movie making tradition and a real backlot. With DHS, it always felt forced even when they had a few minuscule stuff being made there. Now, it's even worse and it makes sense to finally put the backlot tour out of commission.

Now, there's some reasonable value in celebrating movies and even movie making -- GMR is IMHO a great ride -- but it's tough to make a full blown interesting park on that concept. Having a land or two with some behind the scenes stuff makes sense and I wouldn't mind they retain some things like a stunt show or bring back the animation academy. But giving people a chance to "live" the movies is a great thing as well and, quite frankly, more popular and engaging to more guests. I don't think the entire park has to be converted into IP-land, but having that be a big chunk of the park isn't a bad thing. Especially given how pathetic DHS has been over its entire existence.

Rodan75

The problem is don't they only have Theme park usage of GotG until 2019 when the next Avengers comes out? They wouldn't even finish building it by then.

I don't understand this line of thinking. GOTG being in Avengers:IW doesn't put them into the Avengers family anymore than their current interactions with the Avengers do. Plus setting them up in Orlando would set a precedent that would allow other unused or incidental characters to be used in Orlando.

Next Big Thing

I don't understand this line of thinking. GOTG being in Avengers:IW doesn't put them into the Avengers family anymore than their current interactions with the Avengers do. Plus setting them up in Orlando would set a precedent that would allow other unused or incidental characters to be used in Orlando.
I'm not 100% on it (I don't think anyone can be yet), but from thorough reading of the legal documents, it seems as though they may not be allowed. Even right now I think Uni may have an argument against it.

lazyboy97o

Perception. It may not be stated in a style guide but it would be clear that they are popularly associated.

I'm not 100% on it (I don't think anyone can be yet), but from thorough reading of the legal documents, it seems as though they may not be allowed. Even right now I think Uni may have an argument against it.
Which could explain the desire to move quickly. Universal cannot act on rumor and hearsay.

Rodan75

Perception. It may not be stated in a style guide but it would be clear that they are popularly associated.

Which could explain the desire to move quickly. Universal cannot act on rumor and hearsay.

I get the line of thought, but Avengers have already been Guardians in the comics recently. Based on the contract, comic book, tv and movie depictions seem to carry the same weight. So 2019 would be moot, plus TDO already set a precedent with the GOTG meet and greet and the BH6 meet and greet. Both could be banned at WDW under a liberal interpretation of multiple portions of the contract.

I think we are at a point where GOTG, BH6, Inhumans are all okay in Orlando. (Although I swear that Medusa and Black Bolt are incidentally used at IOA, but I can't remember for certain).

Mike K

I very much love Aerosmith's role in RnRC but, if Disney is serious about injecting GOTG into DHS, I would much rather see it implemented into RnRC. The soundtrack and the visual possibilities could offer something equally as exciting for guests so I'm on board with it.

Cesar R M

I get the line of thought, but Avengers have already been Guardians in the comics recently. Based on the contract, comic book, tv and movie depictions seem to carry the same weight. So 2019 would be moot, plus TDO already set a precedent with the GOTG meet and greet and the BH6 meet and greet. Both could be banned at WDW under a liberal interpretation of multiple portions of the contract.

I think we are at a point where GOTG, BH6, Inhumans are all okay in Orlando. (Although I swear that Medusa and Black Bolt are incidentally used at IOA, but I can't remember for certain).
In the comics its worse.

because it already tangled characters from other groups.
Example.. Venom (spiderman), The Thing(Fantastic Four), Iron Man(Avengers).
They all participated in the current arc of Guardians of the Galaxy v4 (which ends in black vortex) and starts again in V5 with Shadowcat (x-men) as Star Lord.

rct247

Thematic Backstory for Everyone:

Hollywood Blvd when you enter is in the 1920s moving into the 1930s. When you turn down Sunset Blvd, you were supposed to be essentially traveling through time from the 1930s into the 1940s. Once you reach Sunset Ranch, this is evident by the refrences to the war. When you reach Tower, one could argue a few things, you are stuck in 1939, you are sometime in the late 1950s or early 60s when Twilight Zone was on, or you are in present day.

RnRC was originally supposed to be built near 50s Prime Time in its early concept with Elvis blasting through the ride from what I've read, but it quickly evolved to Sunset. Gforce records started out in the jazz and big band era. Following the incident at the hotel, business faded and soon a new type of music was entering the scene. In the 50s, the big guitar was built to attract the new business of rock n roll. Unfortunately, when you enter the courtyard you are now fast forwarded in time to the present day (1999). The transition is about as effective as the last act transition of Carousel of Progress. Its a stretch, but not ideal.

Now, to make Marvel work on Sunset, I can only see Captain America because he fits the time period and that cant be done as an overlay.

Gardians of the Galaxy has no place on Sunset Blvd. Period. You can't simply tie the music from the film into Gforce records without completely turning the attraction upside-down. How do you transition the exterior, the preshow, the alley? Tower is even worse and more heartbreaking to think about.

You can successfully transition from Sunset to Marvel but not with Guardians of the Galaxy, not as an attraction overlay, and not during the time when the park can't afford to lose a headliner attraction for even a month all for the namesake of synergy.

lazyboy97o

What seems to carry the most weight is the style guides. There are a lot of nuances and niches with comics and an arbiter may be willing to accept that they are still a distinct group if that is the official position. What might make that change is when the arbiter is also seeing a ton of ads to the contrary.

SCOTLORR

Here's how you do it. Marvel, coincidently enough, started in October 1939 under a different name. I wonder if Universal's rights extend that far?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timely_Comics
The entrance to RnRC is replaced with a comic shop with the "Diagon Alley effect" of leading to the GotG coaster which would receive effects similar to HyperSpace Mountain. Animation Courtyard is completely demo'd to make way for a new Incredibles E Ticket with a path to Toy Story Land and Big Hero 6 somewhere in the middle of these two rides. Considering my plan is pretty much what Universal did with Hogsmeade by repurposing space already within the park, except I'm retheming only one coaster and not two, would this be such a problem?
God I wish this would happen. A super hero land with the IPs disney CAN use was one of my top choices for an area at DHS. Maybe this could be phase 3?

Brian Swan

I could care less if ANY Marvel stuff came to WDW. There, I've said it. I didn't read superhero comic books when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s, and I have little to no interest in them now. I realize that this is a minority opinion. They will never be "Disney" to me. For that matter, SW and Avatar will never be "Disney" to me either, but as I am a huge Star Wars fan, and loved the world of Pandora (even if the script of Avatar was less than great), I am looking forward to seeing what Disney is going to do with them. But if Disney is determined to shoehorn Marvel IPs into DHS, then I think RnRC is a much better choice than ToT (which in my opinion is the most perfectly themed ride in WDW). I also agree that the BH6 concept would work better than GotG (which I haven't seen yet, but probably should).

Cmdr_Crimson

Still Rather see KISS Take over it...
kissmouseearsplain.jpg

Marketing it alone would be great...
972dfd53903e2e86e17cd36c27082f8c.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom