Rivercountry returning?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
marni1971 said:
I`ve found a few very interesting items in the furthest corners of the world on local live - not wanting to create a thread drift, shall we make a new thread?

I have done - in the digital media forum.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Interesting this one - look at the maps at the start of the same RCID pdf - page 19 and 28 - depending on which boundary map you use they are outside the WDW boundary, but within the RCID border (the land is listed as not bought by Disney in the 60`s, but as "other, including RCID)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Found it. The land is "unincorporated RCID" - within RCIDs border, but neither part of the Cities of Bay Lake or Lake Buena Vista. Interestingly, neither is World Wide Sports or the All Star Resort - any land in Osceola basically. Celebration was annexed of course.

Kahlua

jmvd20 said:
I just checked google earth and found that Soarin is not even under construction at EPCOT when this picture was taken. I'm not sure exactly when the Soarin construction was started but this picture is at least a few years old.

If you look at the google earth in MK you'll see 20,000 leagues too (the ride and the boats but not together), so imagine how current that photo is.

shaelyn

article said:
Orlando Sentinel May 11, 2003
NO-FLY ZONES SHIELD DISNEY'S RESORTS

Walt Disney Co. won a rare prize on the eve of the Iraq war when federal officials permanently closed the airspace above its theme parks in Florida and California -- ostensibly to protect against terrorist attacks.

Walt Disney World and Disneyland now have 24-hour security zones that put them on par with a select few potential targets in the United States, including President Bush's Texas ranch, nuclear submarine bases and stockpiles of sarin gas and other weapons of mass destruction.

Without public debate or even a request from the new Homeland Security Department, Congress bent its own rules to help Disney secure the no-fly zones at the urging of at least one well-connected company lobbyist.

So, those pics are super old :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
But this is way old news (and has been covered in depth)

The likes of Google Earth & Local Live are satellite based.

BTW, welcome! :wave:

mrerk

Premium Member
unkadug said:
Thank you, :wave: I had a feeling that they had something to do with waste treatment. Thanks for the link also.

No problem Unkadug. Always happy to help where I can. :D

EchoOfOphelia

Ewww... Rivercountry looks nasty! I swam in that water when I was a kid, I remember it being a bit slimy, but I always thought it was my aversion to any water I can't see through past 3 inches

By the way, you really can't take the Google Earth photos are current. I've been in my house for 3 years now and GE still shows it being under construction :animwink:

EpcoTim

EchoOfOphelia said:
Ewww... Rivercountry looks nasty! I swam in that water when I was a kid, I remember it being a bit slimy, but I always thought it was my aversion to any water I can't see through past 3 inches
:

I was having the same thoughts.

And you have the best signature or quote on this entire board.

EpcoTim

EchoOfOphelia said:
Why thank you! :D Its a favorite of mine, always gets a laugh no matter how many times I see it.

Your welcome. :xmas:

And I agree, as long as its not the edited version on TV.

A Chicagoan to I see. Very Nice. Go Cubs.

"So I jump ship in Hong Kong........."

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
"There won't be any money involved. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness. So I got that goin' for me.... which is nice." :D

kaos

aeillill said:
I think you used to be able to swim in pretty much all the lakes that resorts had access too. I remember I went swimming in the lake by the Caribbean Resort when i was younger because no one was there and the pool was mobbed

Not only could you swim, but you could SURF (there is a HUGE wae machine in Seven Seas Lagoon), windsurf, and even sail on the lakes in WDW...

those were fun times....:cry:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
kaos said:
Not only could you swim, but you could SURF (there is a HUGE wae machine in Seven Seas Lagoon), windsurf, and even sail on the lakes in WDW...

The wave machine is still there. ;)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Only parts of it? I thought they couldn't really take any of it out, so they left it intact. Please enlighten the curious (me). ;)

Teenchy

kaos said:

I agree...I'll never forget my first WDW memories in the early 70's staying at Poly and swimming in the lagoon and having Goofy come right up on the beach on waterskis.

By the way .... I think the algee is so thick at River County you could walk across the water :hurl:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom