Rivercountry returning?

Horizons1

The pool at RC is not in good shape at all. Yes, the water is murky and green (well what water that is in it anyways) but also the rocks and slides are all torn up. That place will not be coming back anytime soon or in the near future unless Disney does some exstensive refurbishment.

Horizons1

Heres a few pictures... courtesty of Disneypix of course.

RC0505-21.jpg

RC0505-22.jpg

RC0505-23.jpg

RC0505-27.jpg

RC0505-47.jpg

RC0505-28.jpg

Its pretty sad to see a place that I have such fond memories of my childhood in such bad shape. I remember being so excited to go to RC and play in Kiddie Cove... *sigh*

The rest of the pics can be found here http://www.disneypix.com/Recreation/River/2005a/River2005a.htm

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Horizons1

marni1971 said:
These are just off property. Just - the boundary is slightly to the east of here.

I`ve found a few very interesting items in the furthest corners of the world on local live - not wanting to create a thread drift, shall we make a new thread?

If you think you should. I for one would love to see what you found. :sohappy:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
utrythinkinof1 said:
Yes, the bird's eye view shows nasty water at RC and walls around the main area with the slides. The smaller pool to the lower right of the main pool is walled off too and has water that is just as disgusting.

Edit: Umm.. I also found something while looking around and I found these things...http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=28.493153~-81.620682&style=h&lvl=16&scene=3900735 .... they look sand pits.

Edit again: Whoops I think I wandered off property. I found more... on property this time... I think: http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=28.402041~-81.624269&style=h&lvl=15&scene=3926351

I've often wondered what those are myself. They appear to be some sort of drying fields.(notice that there is a center __?___ to each field.)

Somebody here must know what these are !
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=28.40636~-81.620833&style=o&lvl=1&scene=3926352

And I do believe that they are just off property.

OliveMcFly

If they closed RC and all beaches due to bad water how come they still have water activities? Those people are in the water at points...just a thought.

blazerblvd

Since WDW is located in a Swam area...they could be water management ditches. They could be for holding water spilloff in the event of a big storm so WDW doesn't get flooded...that would not be good.

unkadug

blazerblvd said:
//how can you remove double posts
You can't. All you can do is what you did and edit it out.

There are water management canals all over the property.

These may be part of that system, but I don't think so. :veryconfu

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
blazerblvd said:
Since WDW is located in a Swam area...they could be water management ditches. They could be for holding water spilloff in the event of a big storm so WDW doesn't get flooded...that would not be good.

WDW is designed to cope with severe storms. The water management system was built with this in mind, and the automatic flood gates would operate accordingly - though not to the detriment of the rest of the state. The 47 miles of canals are so large, and so influential, unchecked the eco system as far south as Miami could be altered if WDWs flood control failed. RCIDs first priority was to develop a system to control the changes WDW would bring to the region; indeed, RCID was originally the Reedy Creek Canal District.

In a "perfect storm" situation, WDW has areas that are designated flood basins - including a large part of the Magic Kingdom parking lot. Most of the WDW developments are above the 100 year storm scenario flood level for this very purpose.

blazerblvd

unkadug said:
You can't. All you can do is what you did and edit it out.

There are water management canals all over the property.

These may be part of that system, but I don't think so. :veryconfu

Thanks. Are we sure that they are sand....could they be something like algae covered water?

unkadug

Could be.....But what is that drain looking thing in the middle?

Could this be some sort of waste treatment plant?

ballewclan

DisneyGrl85 said:
If they closed RC and all beaches due to bad water how come they still have water activities? Those people are in the water at points...just a thought.

Because many if not all of the activities require your head to stay above the water. Thats because the worst bacteria mainly enters through the openings in your head (ears, mouth, nose, eyes) which is why it is dangerous. But RC was a water park where you would constantly go under water.

typhoonguy

fireworks

Hi all:) This is the far end of Bear Island rode at the Fireworks Facility. This is packing sand for some of the shells that we tamper with once we receive them.

typhoonguy

The first link is off property

unkadug said:
I've often wondered what those are myself. They appear to be some sort of drying fields.(notice that there is a center __?___ to each field.)

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=28.40636~-81.620833&style=o&lvl=1&scene=3926352

The first link is off property. That is Orange County National (nice golf course if you've never played, Tour School Qualifiers are played there every few years). Those sand pits would be used for their traps. Falcon's Fire (near the gaylord palms) also has one of their own. Not as many as Orange County National, but then again, OCN is a VERY high profile course with many major tournaments played there. They have to keep it in tip-top shape.

blazerblvd

typhoonguy said:
Hi all:) This is the far end of Bear Island rode at the Fireworks Facility. This is packing sand for some of the shells that we tamper with once we receive them.

This could make sense...

On another note...did anyone make another topic for this discussion?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
ballewclan said:
Because many if not all of the activities require your head to stay above the water. Thats because the worst bacteria mainly enters through the openings in your head (ears, mouth, nose, eyes) which is why it is dangerous. But RC was a water park where you would constantly go under water.

But the water at RC was separate from Bay Lake - the boom kept the water level 6 inches above Bay Lakes, and the water was constantly purified and recycled as it spilled over the top and re-entered RC from the slides. I can only think a) the boom failed b) the water treatment plant failed (and neither wern`t cost effective to fix) or c) Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach stole RCs thunder so it was closed to save money.

unkadug

marni1971 said:
But the water at RC was separate from Bay Lake - the boom kept the water level 6 inches above Bay Lakes, and the water was constantly purified and recycled as it spilled over the top and re-entered RC from the slides. I can only think a) the boom failed b) the water treatment plant failed (and neither wern`t cost effective to fix) or c) Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach stole RCs thunder so it was closed to save money.
I vote "C", plus they both hold MANY more people.

Main Street USA

Sure, alligators wander into various waterways in WDW all the time. Here is a picture of one at the docks in Frontierland from the WDWMagic photo albums (not mine)

I'll take the credit. ;) My pic. I was just about to go grab it myself.

As for the river country pics, they make me want to vomit. I've seen them before, but man, no matter how many times I look at them, it never hurts any less. Ugh.

SpenceMan01

giantgolfer said:
Here's the shot of RC from Windows Live Local. Like Marni said earlier, the aerial shot is the same as Google EArth, but the Birds Eye View is more recent. Disgusting...

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=28.411308~-81.564376&style=o&lvl=2&scene=3930025

I visited FW and the Tri-Circle D ranch on my last trip and I never realized how close I was to River Country. It doesn't look too terribly big. I would venture to guess that capacity problems might have been one of the nails in the coffin for RC.

mrerk

Premium Member
unkadug said:

Those are "Rapid Infiltration Beds" They are part of RCID's wastewater treatment system.

http://www.rcid.org/uploads/rcid-comp-plan_infra1.pdf and scroll to page 38

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom