Rivercountry returning?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
HauntedPirate said:
Only parts of it? I thought they couldn't really take any of it out, so they left it intact. Please enlighten the curious (me). ;)

From what I gather, the above water structure was removed. Some metalwork into and including the foundations was left intact, as were some items on the island.

Here`s 2 pics of it - one an aerial showing how far it stuck out from the island (thats the Poly at the bottom) and the other close up.

There`s also a pic for Teenchy!

Attachments

• wave machine 7 seas.jpg
    wave machine 7 seas.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 349
  • Seven Seas Wave Machine CU.jpg
    Seven Seas Wave Machine CU.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 268
  • 008 - Water Skiing Show - daysmall.jpg
    008 - Water Skiing Show - daysmall.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 101

ScrapIron

I understand stranger things have happened in Florida, but making it illegal to swim in a lake not fed by a spring sounds extreme. I am unable to find anything about a "FL Lake Water Act" on the official state website. Or the official state tourism site. Or the Florida Dept. of Environmental Health website. And doing a google seach with the exact phrase "Lake Water Act" yields no results except for this thread. If someone has a link to something official about this law, please share.

Cheers.

drei

The beaches in the Seven Seas Lagoon were definitely closed because of bacterial contamination. I assume so was River Country. Check out this report from the consultant that did the research for Disney on bacterial contaminations in the lagoon:

http://cwfund.org/services/wq_mgt/swimbeaches.htm

Notice they never mention Disney in the report, just generic 'Swim Beaches' in central florida, but the pictures are definitely of the Seven Seas Lagoon (you can clearly see the Grand Floridian and the convention center in the Contemporary).

LandBoatride

Iakona said:
Sorry, not true.
This link has some good info.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=68823&page=3

The pollution is nacteria that is natural to FL.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/naegleria/factsht_naegleria.htm#when

To further support this, the Disney Triathlon held annually features a swim of course, and the swim is not 20,000 laps in the Polynesian pool...it's in Bay Lake! :) I seriously doubt if Disney had documented bacteria issues in the lake that they would allow thousands of athletes to swim in it. Can you say lawsuit??

To clarify the post just above this one, we are talking about Bay Lake, which is different than Seven Seas Lagoon. One is natural and one is manmade. River Country feeds (fed) into the natural lake.

Disneybird

Many years ago, a few days before a planned WDW trip, I met up with a friend of my brother who had gone to work for Disney. He worked in food services, making deliveries at night. So one night on my vacation, he picked me up at the Contemporary in a truck and we went to River Country where we stayed for about 2-3 hours. It was after the water park closed for the night, of course, so we had it to ourselves. We had a blast.

metscool

Is that the same reason that you can't swim on the beaches on Epcot resorts too. And not why can't you swim their. I almost wanted to swim over to the Boardwalk this last trip.

CatLady

I'm not sure about bacterial contamination off of Yacht & Beach, but that is a pretty polluted body of water just because it's relatively small and has heavy boat traffic. That little water can't absorb the pollutants from the Friendship boats going pretty much nonstop, the mouse boats/searaycers, and the pontoon boats.

I know that CMs who worked at Bayside Marina a couple years ago had skin problems when they had to spend time working in the water there, so I can't imagine them letting guests in the water.

THECARISMINE

Yes u could swim in the lakes before they started getting all nasty which in my opinion is most definetly why River Countrey was closed I was there the year it went down and like the first time I went I come out all ichy and feeling just like plain out nasty and then I began to have a attack and well in the end it wasn't pleasent don't ask y I kept going back but eh it was Disney so like I cared about my health..... umm in any case the year it closed the water began getting like crusty by the slides and yea I'm sure that had some part in it being closed

plus now that I think about it I think it was the same year all the Alligators had got in the lake there where like 4 if I remember correct only 2 of them in the seven seas but still

CatLady

plus now that I think about it I think it was the same year all the Alligators had got in the lake there where like 4 if I remember correct only 2 of them in the seven seas but still

I'm having trouble following you -- a little punctuation would probably help. Are you saying that there as an incident with alligators in River Country? I hadn't heard of that before. It makes sense. There are plenty of alligators all over Disney property, and alligators don't exactly respect fences.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom