River Country gone for good?

Originally posted by Jokercoaster
Look this is getting ridiculous, from talking to a couple of travel agent and talking on the phone with the Wal Disney World operator, she said that simply what happened to River Country was 9/11. Attendance dropped so dramaticaly that it was not very economical to operate 3 water parks when the money wasn't there, so I believe once tourism goes up again, so will River Country. I've heard rumors on another topic saying that when it does reopen, it will be expanded.

So, if I was there in june and july 2001 before 9/11 and the waterpark was closed, and from what I heard, it had been for a while..... I guess that would mean it wasnt because of 9/11 :lookaroun

pax_65

There was a rumor a while back saying that when River Country re-opened, all DVC members would be granted free access. The logic here was to abolish the "pool hopping" privileges DVC guests currently enjoy (because of the problems it was causing at busier pools), give DVC members a nice perk in return and help bolster the crowds at River Country, which is the least popular of the 3 waterparks.

I don't think this will ever happen, since they've since already cut back pool hopping with no additional perks to DVC members and there doesn't seem to be much organized demand for additional DVC perks (the program continues to grow without it).

I like the idea, though...

Jon

YoHo

I'm a newb at this board, I gots no problems with anyone, but come on, the entire state of Florida has an Alligator problem.

As for River country as I said before. It's too expensive for the current managment's blood to fix Bay lake and as such River country cannot be opened. Their are rumours about using the pools as resort pools for FW, but I've also heard that the infrastructure of the entire place is going to pot.

And at least somebody else rememb ers it being closed prior to 9/11.

SpaceMountainUK

Can i just state that River Country did NOT close before 9/11.

We was at WDW from August 25th-Sept 8th 2001. We visited River Country 3 times during our stay and i still have the WDW map thing that tells you the opening times for your stays etc. If i remember correctly it was closed on Mon-and possibly Tues (i cant remember exactly) but was open every other day.

When we were there it was very busy too. Goofy and Mickey were swimming around aswell which was really cool.

ToTBellHop

Bill, please keep your pleas out of the News and Rumors Board. If you would like to persuade others to accept your vast wealth of knowledge regarding the functioning of the parks, utilize your PM button. Being banned from wdwmagic once is more than enough to ruin any of your credibility, as it is pretty hard to get banned from wdwmagic...

Regardless, E. coli is a bacterium, and it would take a very fine filter to get it out of the water, one which I doubt Disney ever invested the money to buy as it would require constant replacement and is quite expensive--we use dime sized filters in my chem lab, and they aren't cheap, I could not imagine what would be needed for filtering bacteria out of Disney's water. The other option would be to have giant water filters that douse the water in bleach and then filter the bleach back out so as to not kill park guests. It would be prohibitively expensive, and if such a filter were in use, I don't see why Disney wouldn't have spent the extra few bucks to have a heater so the water at River Country weren't 60º in the winter. So it makes sense to just have water parks filled with normal pool water that can be chlorinated to kill everything we don't want on our bodies. Yes, there are races across the lake, but you sign a waiver for that, because there is always a chance of getting sick, just like there is swimming in any lake. That is why you don't see any companies opening up lakes for people to swim in while guaranteeing their safety. While the odds of infection are low in waterways populated with few people, if you have a few thousand people in there a day, all mixing their own bacteria in with the resident microbes, it becomes a lawsuit waiting to happen. Why risk it when Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon are far more popular and accessible?

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by SpaceMountainUK

We was at WDW from August 25th-Sept 8th 2001. We visited River Country 3 times during our stay and i still have the WDW map thing that tells you the opening times for your stays etc. If i remember correctly it was closed on Mon-and possibly Tues (i cant remember exactly) but was open every other day.

When we were there it was very busy too. Goofy and Mickey were swimming around aswell which was really cool.

I believe Blizzard Beach was closed Friday and Saturday, Typhoon Lagoon was closed Sunday and Monday, and River Country was closed Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

Bill

Account Suspended
Originally posted by ISTCNavigator57
Bill, please keep your pleas out of the News and Rumors Board. If you would like to persuade others to accept your vast wealth of knowledge regarding the functioning of the parks, utilize your PM button. Being banned from wdwmagic once is more than enough to ruin any of your credibility, as it is pretty hard to get banned from wdwmagic...

Let it go my friend, it's a moot point now. I'm sorry you feel that way.

ToTBellHop

a moot point that gets brought up in every thread you post in, it would seem. Just getting tired of the repetitious arguments...and I think my prior dealings with you warrant my feelings.

Bill

Account Suspended
Originally posted by ISTCNavigator57
a moot point that gets brought up in every thread you post in, it would seem. Just getting tired of the repetitious arguments.

So you're getting tired of them, yet you create one yourself.

And it's not everywhere. I've even been requested to post. There are members who like me, and those who don't. I respect you even if you don't like me, but you don't need to comment on them if you don't like them. Please, there are members here who do enjoy them. Since you don't enjoy them, just skip over the posts that I make. :)

the_rich

Originally posted by Bill
So you're getting tired of them, yet you create one yourself.

And it's not everywhere. I've even been requested to post. There are members who like me, and those who don't. I respect you even if you don't like me, but you don't need to comment on them if you don't like them. Please, there are members here who do enjoy them. Since you don't enjoy them, just skip over the posts that I make. :)

nicely put:)

Bill

Account Suspended
Thank you... and ISTC, there's always the handy ignore list feature in your control panel. ;) Just add "Bill" to it and all my posts will be conviently hidden from your view. :)

YoHo

Kay, I did some research and I couldn;'t get an exact date, but from what I've picked up, River country did in fact close prior to September the 11, but not by much. Possibly late August to even the beginning of Sept. That closure was due to liability with the water. Sept 11 just gave them an excuse to not bother thinking about reopening.

And, to Clarify, the Lagoon and lake have serious Bacteria problems. I said E-Coli as Hyperbole. I'm sure that is a significant portion of the Bacteria, but that isn't all of it.

From what I understand, Imagineering and developed a plan to clean the water, but it was too rich for Eisners blood.

Part of the reason the water is so bad is because of the relative dorught and low water levels that have been a problem for a number of years.

It causes problems with water drainage.

Originally posted by SpaceMountainUK

I stood at fort Wilderness in loop 100 at end of june beginnging of july in 2001, river country was closed, and accoding to the CM's had been close for a long time(some even said over a year) all gave different reasons(some said money, some said because tourism was down(it was down about 10% before 9/11), or because of the water, heard all the reasons, but it was closed

Tinkerbell1220

Ok here are the facts River country has closed it doors many times before 9-11 they may have opend at certain times and then they close the "BAD" water problem has been going on for years,,,, And the gator problem If there is any body of water in florida There are GATORS you can even find them in the salt water...... I dont know about everyone eles but that was the only water park I went to when I was growing up... I dont miss it one bit.....:king:

Marijil

Fort Wilderness pools stink...or should I say that in my opinion they stink...FW needs a big theme pool area a la yacht and beach etc...why not use the area and infrastructure for that

Sean23

It was open 4 days a week in 2001. River Country did not close because of 9/11 but it did close labor day Sept 2001 for the season. I would go at least once a week, River Country was my favorite waterpark. I cannot see it was a problem with the water it was open for 25 years before it closed and as recent as 2000 it reopened in Feburary with alternating days closed with TL and BB. The only thing I did not like about it was that you had to take a bus, boat or long walk to get there from where you park.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
See my above post. It was open June 1-30. I have the guide here. And I went whilst we were there. Any CM who said it had been shut for a year was misinformed.

DDuckFan130

Originally posted by Tinkerbell1220
And the gator problem If there is any body of water in florida There are GATORS you can even find them in the salt water

Omg...there's canal behind my house. :eek:

Luckily 8 years living here and no gators...yet ::knocking on wood::

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom